What is Rift and why aren't many people playing it?

GOD'SlittleSERVANT

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been wanting to get into an MMO until Guild Wars 2 comes out and not really looking to get back into WoW. Played Star Wars for 2 months and got bored with that. I've been reading up and found "Rift". I googled it and it actually looks pretty cool, but how come not many people talk about it? What are the pros/cons of Rift? Would it be worth purchasing if it's free to play monthly?

I think it followed the standard new MMO trajectory - bunch of hype, people leaving WOW to play it for a little bit, then massive population drop out and effectively dead.

rift is like the best of the typical thempark mmo. WoW has a time advantage but as far as pulling things out their ass and adding content TRION sets the pace. can't dig them out of their hole though since it's way too similar to WoW to matter to anyone.

i'l check out trion's next MMO, but if you've played WoW you've played Rift(and WoW has better PVP balance).

I still believe Rift is one of the best MMO's to ever be released. The end game content was superb, the fights weren't easy, and it really took an excellent group of players to progress.

I get bored with MMO's so fast because I end up playing by myself and my friends ends up stopping.

I may pick this up... or may even start up WoW again... bah.

I still believe Rift is one of the best MMO's to ever be released. The end game content was superb, the fights weren't easy, and it really took an excellent group of players to progress.

objectively it's the best release in a looooong time. worked well out the gate and was fun and good. yet and still, doesn't set itself apart enough. people say WoW is an EQ clone but that's not true at all(WoW and EQ are nowhere near as alike as Rift and WoW for example). you have to invent time travel, exist in several different times at once and play seven mmo's simultaneously to get what blizzard gave you...for Rift/SWTOR you just have to log into WoW.

Rift is essentially WOW in a different form

the phrase wow clone is often used but rift it truly sinks in and has some meaning.

im pretty sure it still has a healthy community though

I just found out it's only $10 to buy. Buy it for $10, play till level 20, if I don't like it... i'm out $10, oh well. If I do, start up a monthly subscription. Sounds good to me.

I just found out it's only $10 to buy. Buy it for $10, play till level 20, if I don't like it... i'm out $10, oh well. If I do, start up a monthly subscription. Sounds good to me.

you can play free till level 20. its called "rift lite".

Play free till 20, then fork out 10 bucks if you like it from there. Hard deal to beat honestly.

I bought it when it was on steam christmas sale for 7.50. Played it a bit, steam says 100 hours. I got a char to 50, but just kind of didn't really do much after that, mostly because i didn't have any friends really playing it at the time.

Rift was a lot of fun. Guild I was in more or less collapsed and real life kicked me inthe ding, so I quit a few months back. Been thinking of resubbing for until gw2.

Very similar to WoW, but different enough. World is beautiful. PVP is fun, but gets a bit repetitive, not as bad as WoW repetitiveness though.

It seems foolish to play one mmo, get bored and try another one expecting to not get bored as well.

The problem I had with it, was that I wanted to get out of WoW due to the daily grind. Herbing, alchemy, JC, mining etc every day to support raiding. It was seriously a second job. I dropped WoW for Rift, thinking that it would be different. And they I realized it *wasn't* different. It was turning into the same old shit.

This. It is a good mmo, and they just now added 3faction pvp areas. It launched smoothly and is the gold standard for mmo quality and content patches of recent years. Unfortunately people are obsessed with wow since they have old toons there, and it took a few months to show its uniqueness through patches to differentiate from wow.

I am considering resubbing.... I played it for several months and hear it is even better now. My only real complaint was lack of pvp content but they are addressing that rapidly.

I gather rift has a good pop still and healthy servers.

Rift is really just a bog standard WoW clone when it comes down to it, they've done a massive amount to make everything more convenient and easy, they've taken some of the best elements from many other MMOs and put them together, giving pretty damn good world PvE.

But at the end of the day its still a MMO full of simplistic gameplay, predictable rotations, fetch quests etc...as Yahtzee says about MMO's in general, full of grind and spiders...if you're after a traditional fantasy MMO fix it's one of the better ones IMO but that whole genre is boring and on the decline now, hopefully newer MMOs like Planetside 2 should offer something more interesting.

Yeah! It is a very standard good mmo other than the build and spec system. I will be playing gw2 a lot but am thinking I may play Rift some and see where it goes alongside it.

It's meh so far. Nothing great, but I'm not bored playing it, lol. We'll see how long this goes for.

It's meh so far. Nothing great, but I'm not bored playing it, lol. We'll see how long this goes for.

if you like single player games star wars the old republic is tight hahahah

played to 50 and loved it.

hit 50 and quit from boredome.

rift is great for an mmorpg and you can hop servers all you want to play with others.

SWTOR is great if you love single player storylines. I play it like KOTR 3

i think mmo's are dying out anyways.. too hard to swallow that damn sub fee! that shit adds up.

although guild wars 2 looks fucking amazing.

I left Rift only because my cleric was getting out-healed by a damn mage. The game itself was good just balancing was horrific.

I heard RIFT had bad balance issues, my friend steered me away from it. I downloaded Forsaken World (major WoW ripoff) played for about 5 mins and uninstalled it. I havn't found anything good since ShadowBane. Though I am all about PvP. I hate quests and stuff. I want to level up and massacre other peoples towns and take over and stuff lol.

Haven't seen this posted yet, but another big selling point Rift had was that the game was virtually bug free at launch. It set a new bar for 'polish' in MMOG's on launch day.

Haven't seen this posted yet, but another big selling point Rift had was that the game was virtually bug free at launch. It set a new bar for 'polish' in MMOG's on launch day.

been mentioned before, and actually nothing has came out more polished than Asheron's Call(the second asheron's call was the complete opposite, to the game's downfall) and EverQuest(lag =/= bugs), but Rift is pretty close. not the type of game where people say "oh this looks pretty polished" as some bullshit flattery either(see SWTOR, TSW).

I left Rift only because my cleric was getting out-healed by a damn mage. The game itself was good just balancing was horrific.

So...you left Rift because you didn't understand the calling/soul system at all, then? Seems like that's your problem, not Rift's.

I heard RIFT had bad balance issues, my friend steered me away from it. I downloaded Forsaken World (major WoW ripoff) played for about 5 mins and uninstalled it. I havn't found anything good since ShadowBane. Though I am all about PvP. I hate quests and stuff. I want to level up and massacre other peoples towns and take over and stuff lol.

Rift actually is one of the best-balanced games I've seen despite its quite complex spec system.

been mentioned before, and actually nothing has came out more polished than Asheron's Call(the second asheron's call was the complete opposite, to the game's downfall) and EverQuest(lag =/= bugs), but Rift is pretty close. not the type of game where people say "oh this looks pretty polished" as some bullshit flattery either(see SWTOR, TSW).

The original Asheron's Call was the perfect mix of new genre, it just ran on your PC because of DX software/hardware compatibility and wow the in game mechanics were SO broken yet SO FUN! :D

Do not trade him your Matty Coat in Arwic he's a thief!

If you want a themepark MMO, just go with the king of themepark MMO's - WoW. No one has done the hand holding mcmmo better then they have since wrath.

if you like single player games star wars the old republic is tight hahahah

played to 50 and loved it.

hit 50 and quit from boredome.

Take that '5' and change it to a '6' and... = Diablo 3

GW2, dont let me down!

The idea of Rift was great but the actual game was boring. Its a very intentional carbon copy of many of WoW's features (yes I know MMO's are always copies of others but Rift borrowed overly heavily).

It just isn't engaging at all. The community isn't bad but if you aren't on a heavily pop'd server you'll find that Rifts are so powerful that they can be a bitch to clear. I also hate that if you are questing and a Rift appears all the NPC's required for those quests in that area disappear or get murdered by the NPC monsters from the Rift. I remember having to wait over an hour for people to gather and take out the open Rift so I could hand in 3 quests , VERY fucking annoying.

It's derivative MMO. The MMO genre needs some shake up, it's flipping boring as all hell now.

Other than some of the hand holding of quests and stuff I did not see Rift to be much like WoW at all. Then again, I am mostly looking at classes and structure of them. I loved how complex the class trees were and being able to choose three that you liked.
I only played the last beta and when it went Live for about a two months though, so I am sure some stuff had changed.
Overall, it just wasn't what I was looking for in the end.
I think for myself, I am just endlessly hoping to find an MMO that would give me the same nostalgic feeling that EQ gave me so long ago. WoW sure as hell did not do it for me and EQ2 changed too much for me to hold my interest for very long.

The idea of Rift was great but the actual game was boring. Its a very intentional carbon copy of many of WoW's features (yes I know MMO's are always copies of others but Rift borrowed overly heavily).

It just isn't engaging at all. The community isn't bad but if you aren't on a heavily pop'd server you'll find that Rifts are so powerful that they can be a bitch to clear. I also hate that if you are questing and a Rift appears all the NPC's required for those quests in that area disappear or get murdered by the NPC monsters from the Rift. I remember having to wait over an hour for people to gather and take out the open Rift so I could hand in 3 quests , VERY fucking annoying.

Your complaints contradict each other, sir. On one hand, you complain about it being a carbon copy clone of WoW...and then on the other, you complain about how the titular rifts themselves interfere with standard MMO questing. :rolleyes:

Back