What is Regarded as the Best Monitor For Gaming and Work? - Powered by 3090

kill8r

Limp Gawd
Hi All,
I am interested in the Samsung G9 but wanted to ask what other monitors were highly regarded here for both gaming and work (excel, PowerPoint, word outlook multitasking).

Any advice on stuff coming soon are already out. My new build is taking place mid to late sept but I can wait an extra month or so for a mega screen if needed.

Also what are your thoughts on the new screens mentioned in the nvidia gpu launch?

The 160hz+ 38" Ultrawides

Better for gaming and better for work imho.

The sammys are too wide and too short.

The 160hz+ 38" Ultrawides

Better for gaming and better for work imho.

The sammys are too wide and too short.

The Samsungs have more usable desktop space but for gaming I do feel that 3840x1440 (custom resolution) and 3840x1600 work better both for performance and reducing FOV related issues. I think the 1440 vs 1600 vertical pixels is a very negligible difference after having played with it on my LG CX 48" OLED. Hide your taskbar and you have plenty of desktop space vertically.

The Samsungs have more usable desktop space but for gaming I do feel that 3840x1440 (custom resolution) and 3840x1600 work better both for performance and reducing FOV related issues. I think the 1440 vs 1600 vertical pixels is a very negligible difference after having played with it on my LG CX 48" OLED. Hide your taskbar and you have plenty of desktop space vertically.

Of course it's a matter of opinion - I ran 3x 2560x1440 for years - I thought it was great for work but of course it really was too wide. I thought being 2/3rds the width would be perfect but ultimately I decided it was still too wide.

I guess it depends on your work and what games you prefer and what type of panel performance you like.

I would explain it like this - the 38" monitors are like 2X 1920x1080P monitors melded together - and then stretched to have 50% more vertical.

It barely fits in my vision (tbf, I do wear glasses)

Get the Samsung if you like - I was pretty sure I was going to get one but I'm glad I didn't.

1599257849426.png

20200305_153447.jpg

^
This won't apply to everyone, but the LG 38" is (IMO) too wide for a good stereo speaker setup (even with the speakers pulled in more toward the center)

It's wider than the equilateral triangle that is recommended for near field (where your head and each speaker are all equidistant to each other)
This is an older pic, I currently have the speakers mounted above the monitor and the imagine is much better and they are only slightly higher than my ears:

20200904_172503.jpg

I get that it's not a huge problem for everyone, but my desk is 71" wide and my 3X 27" monitors (each mounted with 45 degrees of inward angle) still took the entire width of the desk. A 49" Sammy would be basically a foot wider (than a 38)

The 38 is perfect.

Last edited:
Of course it's a matter of opinion - I ran 3x 2560x1440 for years - I thought it was great for work but of course it really was too wide. I thought being 2/3rds the width would be perfect but ultimately I decided it was still too wide.

I guess it depends on your work and what games you prefer and what type of panel performance you like.

I would explain it like this - the 38" monitors are like 2X 1920x1080P monitors melded together - and then stretched to have 50% more vertical.

Get the Samsung if you like - I was pretty sure I was going to get one but I'm glad I didn't.

View attachment 276355

View attachment 276356

^
This won't apply to everyone, but the LG 38" is (IMO) too wide for a good stereo speaker setup (even with the speakers pulled in more toward the center)

It's wider than the equilateral triangle that is recommended for near field (where your head and each speaker are all equidistant to each other)
This is an older pic, I currently have the speakers mounted above the monitor and the imagine is much better and they are only slightly higher than my ears:

View attachment 276359

I get that it's not a huge problem for everyone, but my desk is 71" wide and my 3X 27" monitors (each mounted with 45 degrees of inward angle) still took the entire width of the desk. A 49" Sammy would be basically a foot wider (than a 38)

The 38 is perfect.
This is very helpful thank you
How do you like the m1 case

View attachment 276355

View attachment 276356

^

View attachment 276359

The 38 is perfect.

The speaker placement issue is very real with the Samsung CRG9/G9 too. I could barely make fit my Genelec M040 studio monitors on my desk and the stereo spread was a bit wider than I'd like. With my LG CX 48" and a slightly smaller but deeper desk I have to buy some stands for the speakers to make them fit.

This is very helpful thank you
How do you like the m1 case

I love the M1 - my first build with a Noctua C14 and an Arctic ACX3 was very cool and quiet, but a new motherboard and GPU put me in a place where it was no longer cool and quiet.

I'm currently running a large external radiator and I'm very happy with it.

Thinking about it:
https://hardforum.com/threads/rethi...nal-9x120mm-radiator-mo-ra3-pros-cons.1998359

Version 1.0:
https://hardforum.com/threads/ncase...updates-in-first-post.1717132/post-1044661743

Version 2.0 (better tube management)
https://hardforum.com/threads/water-cooling-gpus-worth-it.2000381/post-1044702441

The speaker placement issue is very real with the Samsung CRG9/G9 too. I could barely make fit my Genelec M040 studio monitors on my desk and the stereo spread was a bit wider than I'd like. With my LG CX 48" and a slightly smaller but deeper desk I have to buy some stands for the speakers to make them fit.

Sound Anchors FSTT 24" stands might do it - if they are not quite tall enough, you could use those isoaccoustic feet for a little more height...
(not my pic: )

1599317870672.png

I find a single 38 better than dual 27’s, single 32, single 34 uw and single 49 uw, I’ve worked on all of those, I’ve played on all of those (to varying degrees). Ive had my 38” since about November, I’m still of the view that it is the best form factor in market and always stress that though I’ve lost space vs the 27’s / 49 it’s more useable space. I’d like an 21:9 of about 43” and 5k:2k as I believe that will be perfect, it’s just not a thing.

There’s choices in the 38” size at a variety of price points. I’ve got the 38GL950 at home and I’m immensely happy with it. Just bear in mind that 160hz at that res is pretty much 4K 120 in terms of throughout, so it needs all the grunt it can get. Also lack of display port 2 or even hdmi 2.1 can suck a dick at this point.

A 3090 should work great, and is my intended purchase (even my work supplier is being a dick about not unofficially guaranteeing me one of his stock allocation and I spend a ton) I have a 1080ti now, I do not get high frames any more. Moving from 2560 on newer games has bitch slapped that. The things above 27 that I had were 60hz so it didn’t matter.

Last edited:
That speaker issue is very real. Even with a 6 foot desk I could only just fit my monitor and my ls50’s and I’ve actually had to take them off again even so. Need a lamp and a few bits for work and they didn’t fit again. Can’t wait to move house and have space to sort the whole shit properly.

Whatever you choose. Measure it. Ideally do it in sketchup.

Back