What is Official 3080 Sales Time For Thursday?

Whenif the 3080 comes out, I do still plan on buying it.
And yes, whenif is a new word I made up for Nvidian products.

Alright I give up. Last hope is Amazon magically posts them at some weird time and they message me prior to being sold out. Really curious to see if anyone got one in the US. GL peoples.

Flippers use bots. That's why virtually every online retailer sold out the second they went online. It's very rare that a person NOT USING A BOT will be able to successfully buy one.

This happens whenever ANY item (be it concert/sporting tickets, collectibles, or a GPU in this case) launches that can bring in a huge resale on the secondary market.

But... you can always use this tracker tool to see if any pop up online. Best of luck to you.

I'll just add this one last bit and then be done with what I have to say on this subject. Concerning Amazon, their stock of any of the cards they were selling and NowInStock.net. I kept an eye on NowInStock.net's records of when Amazon's listings went from Out of Stock to In Stock and back. Amazon's listings for all their cards to sell have been Out of Stock all morning since before 6:00:00am Pacific. No change to their inventory of any card being In Stock at all and the last I checked was before 8:45am Pacific today. I know because I refreshed the Amazon page for my card at exactly 6:00:00am Pacific on the dot and it still said "Currently Unavailable" at 6:00:01am Pacific. I get bots are really good at selling out stock of something high demand very quickly but no group of bots on Earth can achieve the feat in exactly 1 second. Further, refreshed every 5-30 seconds for 45 minutes. Nothing. Further, I had an email alert with Amazon on the card I wanted. I never got the email. What this adds up to in my detective's mind is that there are 2 distinct possibilities: Amazon has no stock to sell right now (because their shipment is possibly late). Amazon has so little stock to sell right now they'd rather wait to get more before they go live. That's my last thought on the subject and until next time I am out!

I'll just add this one last bit and then be done with what I have to say on this subject. Concerning Amazon, their stock of any of the cards they were selling and NowInStock.net. I kept an eye on NowInStock.net's records of when Amazon's listings went from Out of Stock to In Stock and back. Amazon's listings for all their cards to sell have been Out of Stock all morning since before 6:00:00am Pacific. No change to their inventory of any card being In Stock at all and the last I checked was before 8:45am Pacific today. I know because I refreshed the Amazon page for my card at exactly 6:00:00am Pacific on the dot and it still said "Currently Unavailable" at 6:00:01am Pacific. I get bots are really good at selling out stock of something high demand very quickly but no group of bots on Earth can achieve the feat in exactly 1 second. Further, refreshed every 5-30 seconds for 45 minutes. Nothing. Further, I had an email alert with Amazon on the card I wanted. I never got the email. What this adds up to in my detective's mind is that there are 2 distinct possibilities: Amazon has no stock to sell right now (because their shipment is possibly late). Amazon has so little stock to sell right now they'd rather wait to get more before they go live. That's my last thought on the subject and until next time I am out!

Indeed. I would love for ANYONE (bot or not) that snagged a 3080 from Amazon to prove it because I don't think they ever posted as available.

119737447_245474030124051_6702805061063516158_n.jpg

I'll pay you to go buy me one.

I just checked they are almost out now, down to 3 and shrinking. An hour ago it would have been an option. That said, I hate going to MC these days with the lines. The store is always packed and it takes like 40m ins to check out now.

I just checked they are almost out now, down to 3 and shrinking. An hour ago it would have been an option.

Offer stands to anyone. Help a fellow [H] out. I have an extra hundred for anyone that doesn't want theirs or just wants some extra cash

Truthfully, I didn't think it would be like this or I would have setup a postman or soapui script to make the purchase for me as well before hand. Not that I am in a hurry to buy one. I was more interested in the 3090. Oh well, time to have my bot ready for when that one goes live then.

Truthfully, I didn't think it would be like this or I would have setup a postman or soapui script to make the purchase for me as well before hand. Not that I am in a hurry to buy one. I was more interested in the 3090. Oh well, time to have my bot ready for when that one goes live then.

PM me your SoapUI project, when you do lol.

All those orders should be cancelled. Fuck those people.

If I was a retailer, I would be going through every single purchase of those cards and check for if they were purchased as bots and prevent more than 1 purchase at a time. I would certainly be cancelling orders from shit like that.

Personally, it makes me mad in this day and age that online retail sites don't have bot prevention code as part of the check out items for hot ticket items. With lots of hot ticket items expected more this year from the RTX cards to the new consoles, they need to put something in place. Even a simple captcha that only is added to hot ticket items and allowing for 1 item per transaction/account, as well as no guest check out transactions for hot ticket items would have gone a LONG way in preventing a few bot accounts from buying up all the stock everywhere online.

All those orders should be cancelled. Fuck those people.

Yup

I can't believe bots managed to snag all 26 video cards they had available.

I do. I've been around this bullshit for years. Besides stuff like this, I'm a big baseball card collector. It's virtually impossible to get any new releases without a bot and I've almost given up completely. Topps.com was selling their Bowman 1st Edition earlier this year for like $200 a box. Every single box got bought by bots and brought their website down with it. Several hours later, all the Ebay sales popped up at $750 a box. Box limit was 24 at the time on Topps website. People were still paying those prices for a chance to hit Jasson Dominguez auto's which were going from like $4k-$24k each. The prices just kept going up. I have no knowledge of how to combat this but something has to give.

So where is the best place to get started on bot creation or the best place to buy one (if you can't beat 'em and all lol)...looks like I need to brush up on my python quick.

You would think Nvidia would use AI to determine if purchase is being made by a bot and then market the hell out of that.

You would think Nvidia would use AI to determine if purchase is being made by a bot and then market the hell out of that.

They probably used their AI to buy up all the stock themselves. :p

nVidia can’t be said to take this seriously. They have the most obtrusive captcha for GeForce Experience and that is not a bot prevention measure in the slightest—we are doing free annotations to train their ML perception networks for autonomous mobility. That’s the reason it’s there. So, if performance is at parity and driver quality is sound, I have no issue selecting an AMD solution—I have no brand loyalty and will opt for the first available equivalent. Had the launch gone more smoothly, I would have been willing to “wait” for a nVidia solution on the strength of my past positive experience with Pascal. Unfortunately this launch + GeForce experience captcha burned enough goodwill with me that I’ll now take whatever solution becomes available to me first. That may still be a 3080 or 3090 but it may also be an AMD solution. If so it’ll be interesting for this 15 year Intel/nVidia customer to cut over whole hog to AMD in a single calendar year... I never would have expected that.

nVidia I hope my somewhat low accuracy monthly “free” DNN annotation was worth it.

AMD, *please* do better.

Strange. I tried to buy 2 2080 Tis on launch day from Nvdia (for SLI) and they quickly cancelled the second order.

And most places, like Newegg, only allow you to order 1 unit. So the bots must have been doing something sneaky to get that many orders so fast.

Strange. I tried to buy 2 2080 Tis on launch day from Nvdia (for SLI) and they quickly cancelled the second order.

And most places, like Newegg, only allow you to order 1 unit. So the bots must have been doing something sneaky to get that many orders so fast.
I saw a photo of a guy with like an assload of emails from nVidia saying their order was being processed. All to the same email address. How in the hell does that even happen? Like there wasn’t a limit per email address?

I was able to buy the 980 and 1080 on launch day without much effort. Didn't care for the 2080 at launch, bought a 1080 ti during the 2018 mining craze by getting lucky on newegg and sold my 1080 for a good amount. The 2080 Ti was an impulse buy last Thanksgiving when zotac had a few refurbs for 800. The shit today was something else...glad I spent no more than an hour chasing it and that too on a phone...I had no chance.

Jesus Christos apparently wanted me to buy a PS5 instead of a 3080, and I've never been more excited for a new piece of kit (last PS I bought was a PS3), bring on Demon Souls!

I have no knowledge of how to combat this but something has to give.
The only way for it to stop, the only proverbial "give" is that people have to stop caring. And since that won't happen, you will always have this problem. Even if it's only people with deep pockets at the top whom have access to this stuff, as long as the market is big enough and stuff keeps getting sold at higher prices, then it self perpetuates. That is until people stop caring and the market drops out.

To put it another way: if literally every person stopped giving money to scalpers, the market would drop out - and it would stop being an issue (imagine investing $10,000 on anything and getting zero ROI). But we all know that won't happen either. The scalpers really aren't the problem; they're just taking advantage of an insanely demand heavy market.

At the end of the day the buyers are the problem. To take this another direction but equally as economically relevant: we could just talk about the drug trade. In terms of demand driving the market, scalpers and drug cartels are operating on the same economic principles. Until there isn't stupid demand, then both will always exist.

EDIT: In terms of how to combat this problem at a retailer level, they could implement what has already been discussed. Basically just put in buyer limits. If everyone was only capable of buying, say, a maximum of 2x 3080's that stops most of it. Then simply cancel any and all orders of multiples greater than 2x going to the same address - which in theory shouldn't be hard. Just simply cross reference all orders.

I don't think they'll ever bother though. While doing so makes the community 'feel better', with more cards getting spread around to more buyers, the retailers don't really care. Their only interest is in selling all of their product. They have enough things to care about without having to 'worry' that people are buying all their product (the horror).

Last edited:
I saw a photo of a guy with like an assload of emails from nVidia saying their order was being processed. All to the same email address. How in the hell does that even happen? Like there wasn’t a limit per email address?

It’s very easy nowadays to create multiple email aliases that route to the same mailbox.

The botters must be shipping all their cards to the same address though. Should be easy enough to flag if people cared.

It’s very easy nowadays to create multiple email aliases that route to the same mailbox.

The botters must be shipping all their cards to the same address though. Should be easy enough to flag if people cared.
What did they pay with? 1000 stolen credit cards? I little cannot spend $1k workout being flagged, much less on multiple transactions.

What did they pay with? 1000 stolen credit cards? I little cannot spend $1k workout being flagged, much less on multiple transactions.
You could probably setup an account on privacy.com, tie your bank or credit card to that account, then generate numerous unique card numbers from privacy.com and use those with the individual bot accounts. How they would get around being identified by shipping to a similar address, I dunno unless they ship to P.O. boxes.

Back