What is nVdias next flagship card after the 5 series?

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys. I know right now the 580 is at the top of the heap. Does anyone know what the next flagship card is going to be?

Is it going to be an entire architecture overhaul or just another shitty faster cpu/memory deal like the 5 series was to the 4 series?

I have 2 275's in SLI and am waiting for the next thing from nV. I don't think it's worth it to upgrade right now.

Last edited:
Well they brought back the ti, and hit the 5 series again so I am guessing the 6 series. :p

Kepler comes after the 500 series. Supposed to be much faster than fermi. Its also suppose to launch late this year.

This series was all about perfecting Fermi. It wasn't just a "shitty faster CPU/memory deal". Neither AMD or nVidia make new architectures for each generation of gpus. At least it hasn't been that way for a long time now. It would be too costly to redesign a chip every 12 months.

iirc I saw a chart nVidia showed off about where their endeavors lied within the next 2-3 generations it was pretty neat because it showed the performance gains they're expecting. They were quite large too. :D

If i could only remember where I saw that dang chart...

Next flagship will be the 590 GTX, finally a dual-GPU fermi.

Next generation will be 28nm kepler. I'd be willing to bet that the flagship of the next generation will be a GTX 680, GTX 685, GTX 690, or GTX 695. But that's just a hunch.

This series was all about perfecting Fermi. It wasn't just a "shitty faster CPU/memory deal". Neither AMD or nVidia make new architectures for each generation of gpus. At least it hasn't been that way for a long time now. It would be too costly to redesign a chip every 12 months.

iirc I saw a chart nVidia showed off about where their endeavors lied within the next 2-3 generations it was pretty neat because it showed the performance gains they're expecting. They were quite large too. :D

If i could only remember where I saw that dang chart...

I think you were thinking of this:

http://hothardware.com/News/NVIDIA-Exposes-GPU-Roadmap-Kepler-Arrives-2011-Maxwell-in-2013/

Hopefully it will be based on 28nm, not this 40nm bullshit, two generations on 40nm is enough, a third isn't going to cut it. Guess we can blame TSMC for that.

I guess the 6990 and GTX 590 should be enough for this year, unless if TSMC does pull a miracle and get 28nm going we might see new cards based on 28nm this year from ATI and NVIDIA.

Tsmc from what has been said as of the latest rumors/news should be ready for nvidia/amd's 28nm launch late this year or early next. I believe Nvidia is still looking for a late Q4 launch but that could change later on this year and become Q1 of next year 2012 so we'll see. I have a new build planned around kepler 28nm and intels socket 2011 for most likely Q1 of next year so I'm anticipating the next gen around then from all I've read.

Kepler looks good big gain over Fermi shty with drivers and large flop 460 GTX all over place.

Nvidia is fairly easy to follow, actually both companies are. You have your launch of new Gen cards, then a few months later a refresh. The fermi architecture launched with the GTX 480/470 and then the refreshes were the GTX 500 series. On some occasions refreshes can go through a die shrink e.g. GTX 280 vs GTX 285.

Next is GTX 680 aka the Kepler architecture. Supposed to be very powerful

gtc_roadmap1.jpg

You should see Kepler launch by years end at 28nm. Delay may happen if TSMC fail to finalize 28nm or yields are not satisfactory. That should be followed in 2012 with the Kepler refresh and then at the end of 2012 you should see Maxwell, which is supposed to be uber poweful! That is gonna be sick. Followed by Maxwell refresh in 2013.. If we make it beyond 12/21/2012 :eek:

some good info here

http://hothardware.com/News/NVIDIA-Exposes-GPU-Roadmap-Kepler-Arrives-2011-Maxwell-in-2013/

Last edited:
Holy cow those Kepler cards look nuts on that graph. Wow. If that pans out to be the actual results... Good grief.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kepler's about what I expected for performance per watt (remember that's what the graph is of, not just raw performance). Remember Fermi was a relative failure in the performance/watt category. AMD's best for performance per watt (HD6850) is 30% better than nvidia's best (GTX560Ti) and up to 80% better than nvidia's worst (GTX480). Assuming 28nm is a level playing field once again, Kepler will be a considerable advance on fermi.

Next flagship will be the 590 GTX, finally a dual-GPU fermi.

Next generation will be 28nm kepler. I'd be willing to bet that the flagship of the next generation will be a GTX 680, GTX 685, GTX 690, or GTX 695. But that's just a hunch.

After the monster that is 6990 I don't think I want to see a 590gtx...:p

Back