What is "Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. - Firmware - 1.0.0.7" in Windows optional updates?

Then why is it under Windows optional driver updates? Plus the board already has the latest BIOS.

That's interesting, I've never seen a BIOS update from the windows update section lol

I've updated many Dell systems via this method with great results. On the other hand, I bricked an Acer Laptop when I installed a "Insyde Software - Firmware" update via Optional Updates. So this is not flawless, there are risks.

A great reason to disable driver updates from being included in windows update, such a great "feature" that constantly downgrades drivers including AMD Radeon graphics drivers, now featuring BIOS updates that can brick your whole system.

Windows decided all on its own to install every single optional update I have had. I don't know why it did that. It installed about half the optional updates one day and then I looked the next week and it had installed all the rest of them without any input from me at all.

I've started seeing this since I recently got a Win11 Dell laptop at work. (My first Win11 experience)

I'm guessing it is a Win11 thing?

On my work laptop they are not optional though. They install along with all the other system updates.

This kind of goes against my long held belief when it comes to firmware. Essentially, "never update firmware unless you are having a problem that needs to be resolved."

It's less of a risk with a laptop, but I'd be really  pissed if windoes installed a bios update without my explicitly telling it to that either bricked my system (due to power loss) or had any other negative side effects.

I'm really not a fan of Windows being allowed to mess with the hardware. IMHO BIOS/firmware is part of the hardware and shouldn't change unless I explicitly tell it to.

I've started seeing this since I recently got a Win11 Dell laptop at work. (My first Win11 experience)

I'm guessing it is a Win11 thing?

On my work laptop they are not optional though. They install along with all the other system updates.

This kind of goes against my long held belief when it comes to firmware. Essentially, "never update firmware unless you are having a problem that needs to be resolved."

It's less of a risk with a laptop, but I'd be really  pissed if windoes installed a bios update without my explicitly telling it to that either bricked my system (due to power loss) or had any other negative side effects.

I'm really not a fan of Windows being allowed to mess with the hardware. IMHO BIOS/firmware is part of the hardware and shouldn't change unless I explicitly tell it to.
Nah. I hade several bios update through windows 10 on my 5 year old company Dell laptop. I seen bios updates for my newer personal Dell laptop as running 11. Never seen it on my desktop.

Back