What is in your IT travel kit?

Namely, what tools do you carry on your usb stick when you go on client calls? I am starting to put together a list of tools for my job that I am going to recommend for our techs. One great tool is mRemotemobile. It is awesome when you arrive to a client's site and don't know the network structure that well (or at least know evvvery server by heart), load this bad boy up with the connections you have and you are in.

How about yall?

Laptop, extra power cable, extra cat5 cables, cable tester, crimper and ends. ZIp ties, q-tips and a flashlight

Don't knock the Q-tips, they come in handy, i even has someone ask me if i had one and they were shocked when i said yes lol

My laptop!

I used to carry tons of crap. But I got tired of having so much crap in my Jeep.
Spare broadband modems (cable and DSL), spare routers, spare switches, spare hard drives, spare cdroms, tons of spare software, OS CDs, spare power supplies, hundreds of various sticks of Crucial RAM, spare cables for PCs of all sorts, spare video cards, spare NICs, APC surge strips, tons of various patch cables and cable terminating and testing tools. Hell...at any given moment in time I could pull over and practically build two or three PCs and a small network from parts in my Jeep.

I finally started having less and less parts. If I need a PC repaired or rebuilt and it's something that will take me longer than an hour onsite..I take it back to the office and have our bench guy do that.

I still carry a couple of extra wrt54gl units brand new in the box, and I'll usually have a new RV042 in the box, plus a spare moto surfboard and a DSL modem or two. Lots of patch cables and my Paladin kit. A few ACP per7 surge strips.

I live in a cube, so.. I cart around a laptop, and not much else.

Standard screws, crimper, spare cables/power, spare usb-mini usb, torx 1-8 screws, spare IDE/SATA wires, cable tester (for RJ-45 cat5/cat6 cables), TIM, air duster, multimeter.

Plus a cd box with linux live boot and network and stuff, and a usb flash storage with other essentials.

Cool, thanks.

Any luck on 64-bit systems?

I can't remember if I tried it on my rig at the office....I know I tried it around a couple of years ago..was kind cool, but 99.9% of my work is through mstsc /console or https: portals so I never found the need to really use it. I'm at my core clients so often I remember their server IPs 'n logins...but for those that travel so some servers less frequently, def a cool utility.

For some reason, i can't get this thing to work with RDP, it just blinks and nothing happens? Any idea

Just downloaded latest version and tried it again..on my laptop, Win7 Pro 32 bit...connected to my DC on custom port fine via RDP.

What OS you on?

If I need a PC repaired or rebuilt and it's something that will take me longer than an hour onsite..I take it back to the office

Same.

The netbook gets taken, and a usb stick. Thats about it.

Even for work I take my personal netbook too. So convient to travel with, and I've gone to every corner of the country. I never really NEED the horsepower

Well usually depending on what circumstance that I am going to see our client under I prepare accordingly, whether it be a few spare switches, cables, etc. In my core kit I always have a laptop that has a serial connection for consoling (or at least looking into a usb-console cable which a fellow tech uses), spare cat cables, a cross over, my screw driver set, various other tools, etc. Always have my swiss blade combo on my belt if needed. I have ran in a couple of situations where something out of that mix is needed.

The mRemotemobile is such a great tool, comes in so handy. Really works on anything, I had it working on a thin client today. I want to switch out the old dell I have with my netbook, but I need the usb console cable first before that, any suggestions?

Also, how about on your usb sticks, what software tools do you bring with you. Most of the time if the machine is fubared I will bring it back, but there are times some good malware cleaning tools, etc. come in very very handy.

I have 2 laptops, my Lenovo T510 & my Thinkpad t42, I usually bring the Lenovo, but i really should be bringin gmy T42 as if it got broken i won't care as much.

8 gig memory stick with TONS of apps on it all sorted out etc etc.

2 cat5 cables one long one one purple short one for setting up routers& firewalls.

Notepad and paper ( always used for notes and stuff )

USB to sata/ide/laptop mini ide, use this device ALL the time for data transfers backing up hdd's, etc etc.

Flashlight, ( 3watt led one )

dropbox, on both laptops & home machine for files to be saved / shared.

laptop, usb to serial connector, serial cable, cross over cables, regular network cables, console cable for cisco switches and routers, crimper, punch down tool, wire stripper and usb to sata/ide

Laptop, 4GB USB stick with everything I need to remove malware/viruses. USB to SATA/IDE/mini ide. 1TB external USB drive for doing backups. CAT5 cables, RJ45 connecters/receptacles. 110/66 punchdown tool.

I've got my Macbook Pro loaded up with Windows 7 in bootcamp. I've then got Solarwinds Engineers Toolkit (<3) and LANSurveyor which help out immensely as well as a bunch of other apps.

With all that though I've been gradually been getting more comfortable with just having my iPhone and iPad on me. With the iPad I can remotely access almost anything and I've got my iPhone jailbroken running MyWi so I can connect pretty much anywhere.

Also, how about on your usb sticks, what software tools do you bring with you. Most of the time if the machine is fubared I will bring it back, but there are times some good malware cleaning tools, etc. come in very very handy.

I used to worry about stocking that up too. Years ago when many clients were on dial up or early slow broadband (1 meg or so)...I'd panic about having a maintained software kit. Various CDs for reinstalling Windows, Office, service packs for Windows, Office, the latest drivers for common items like video, NICs, and lots of free antivirus and various malware removal tools. And since I'm an Eset reseller..all the latest versions of their products.

But now, since with AV and malware removal tools..new versions are released at high rates, and everyone I go to have fast broadband... and my laptop which is always with me can hit the internet anywhere...I just get the latest as needed, when I need it.

I got a boatload of various boot CD's. Linux or WinPE repair thingamabobs with anti-malware, partitioning programs, etc. Hiren's Boot CD is a good one.

Three different console/serial cables. I've found that these three (with one null-modem adapter) can get me into any serial device. A Keyspan USB-Serial adapter is necessary.

Extra patch cables, crossover cable, USB sticks, etc. Laptop with all my utilities is a must of course.

I used to worry about stocking that up too. Years ago when many clients were on dial up or early slow broadband (1 meg or so)...I'd panic about having a maintained software kit. Various CDs for reinstalling Windows, Office, service packs for Windows, Office, the latest drivers for common items like video, NICs, and lots of free antivirus and various malware removal tools. And since I'm an Eset reseller..all the latest versions of their products.

But now, since with AV and malware removal tools..new versions are released at high rates, and everyone I go to have fast broadband... and my laptop which is always with me can hit the internet anywhere...I just get the latest as needed, when I need it.

That is a good point. I always like having something small, like spy bot bootable or something of the like, if there is something nasty on the machine just to get into it. But usually, we just bring it back - sometimes it takes more time to clean it and bring the machine to swiss cheese then it is to save data and do a wipe.

Someone mentioned an SATA/IDE to usb cable - good call - I have that as well, love that thing.

I'm going to our remote site next month and I'll take: Laptop + charger, notebook & pencil, laptop to DVI cable adapter + DVI cable, spare cat6 patch. I am planning on everything else being there.

I just fixed my PURPLE lucky cat5 cable, love this cable, now to order a nice orange one.

I pick colors that are "DIFFERENT" because then i won't leave them behind or get them mixed up when un-plugging them from large switches.

I also have my name on my cable, i hate it when people take my nice rubber silky cat5 cables. I buy good cable's and other jack them F that now !

The mRemotemobile is such a great tool, comes in so handy. Really works on anything, I had it working on a thin client today. I want to switch out the old dell I have with my netbook, but I need the usb console cable first before that, any suggestions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-RS232-Seria...ultDomain_0&hash=item4aa09ac14f#ht_2607wt_911

I have ordered 2 of these from superdeal, they work like a charm. I use SecureCRT through these they're, perfect.

My toolkit is my laptop which is my 4GB, 250GB HDD, t8300 Core2Duo 2.4GHz Dell Vostro 1700 (i'd like to call it a mobile desktop because sometimes I feel thats what I'm carrying lol),
I keep my usb - db9 adapters with two console cables, my toolbox has everything, screwdrivers, crimp kit, punch tool, cable tester, budset (yes for phone networks), some known good ram, a 1TB backup drive, a 4gb, 8gb, 16gb, flash drives with some anti-virus, network utilities, etc.
I also keep a note pad and my clip board with me and stored in the clipboard are all my client's info, because they are not, not.... even with though they have documentation, they are not going to remember where they put the configurations and layouts and topologies of their networks lol. I even keep a 15 LCD monitor in the back of my car, some spare CAT5's, a spool of cable with that has a box of RJ-45s, RJ-11's, DVI-VGA adapter, etc.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I also keep a note pad and my clip board with me and stored in the clipboard are all my client's info, because they are not, not.... even with though they have documentation, they are not going to remember where they put the configurations and layouts and topologies of their networks lol. .

Everytime i do a network setup / router setup, i use one of my configuration sheets, has all the log in information serial number mac address etc etc. After i have typed it out, i put it on my dropbox.

Me being able to read my own writing is like asking a doctor to write his name clearly :)

Netbook, flash drives (TRK, clonezilla, gparted) and a baggie full of all types of cables, screws and adapters...

This combo almost ALWAYS get the job done. Anything else, then it usually comes home to papa :) Using my phone to get on the net comes in handy too (android + pdanet).

All in one kit of tools (screw driver with array of bits, pliers, grabber tool, tweezers, etc), usb drive with software (anti-malware programs, common drivers, apps, and network utilities), laptop, cat5e cable.

I should also add on my thinkpad I have vmserver with Server 03 R2 and ubuntu. There is occasions where I need a dhcp server to do firmware upgrades, etc. as well as an ftp server. It is always good to have a version of Linux as well.

Well I do a lot of cabling/phone work...so I have a lot of tools I carry with me.
Punch tool, crimpers, cutters, strippers, all kinds of screwdrivers, test equipment...big drill bits, you name it lol

We have a seperate bag just for cabling. I always bring crimpers, punch tool and a tester with me though.

Laptop, usb>serial cable, CD wallet, toolkit, usb pen.

If I need to do cabling I have another box I grab which has cable, crimpers and ends but I don't carry it with me.

If I am just going to a computer trouble call, I take my laptop, hard drive adapters, software CDs, and various small screwdrivers.

Is it legal to install some remote software in a clients PC, so you can access it in the future? (for work related stuff, of course)

Is it legal to install some remote software in a clients PC, so you can access it in the future? (for work related stuff, of course)

If you have some sort of agreement that states you will have remote access (only under user permission) then yeah. 95% of my work is remote

I just bought one of these for my Networking GOODIE bag

http://www.mib-instruments.com/servlet/the-328/CAT5-RJ45-Network-Cable/Detail 66$us

SC8108_1.jpg

SC8108_2.jpg

Back