What is Folding and why does it matter?

Axdrenalin

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - Nov. 2009
Found this interesting article off of /. and thought I'd pass it on. They're hoping to have something in about 10 years for Alzheimer’s.

"I’d be surprised if we didn’t find a solution to Mad Cow Disease, the prion diseases and Alzheimer’s. I’d say it may take about ten years", says Scheraga, adding that the timescale will depend on how much money people are prepared to invest in research. Gruebele is more conservative, concurring that ten years is about right in terms of making discoveries in the lab, but the story won’t end there. After that, "it’s a long way to human treatment," says Gruebele, "so ten years is as fast as it could possibly move along. Just the drug or procedure certification processes in most countries take that long, even if you had the cure in hand right now."

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2009/06/15/what-is-folding-and-why-does-it-matter/1

Yeah, it may take a while, but that old sayin' "the longest journey begins with the first step" (or something along those lines) has always made sense to me The way it looks we's gota' start sometime and as far as I'm concerned that sometime is NOW :D

THANKS for DCing ;)

I check Bit-Tech just about every day... I was about to post this here as well... ;)

I check Bit-Tech just about every day... I was about to post this here as well... ;)

Hey thanks Alpha736 for the heads up on the Bit Check site :p. I signed up to their forum and read some of the articles on the main page. Some of the things the articles made clearer to me were just how small our planet really is (no one is exempt), the great strides medical science can make with the help of all the volunteer DCers (like us) and the great strides already accomplished thru distibuted computing. I said "SOME" of the reasons ;), not even close to all the reasons. I think we've merely scratched the surface. Thanks to some very smart IT peeps they'll be many more advances thru technology :D

Thanks everyone for DCing. I may be a little predijuce toward the mighty [H]orde (my team and of course the greatest) I thank everyone on every team :)

i think biased would have been a better choice of words, but your spot on the money, and it was a good read too

First page was a good read, I will finish it when i have more time.
The egg example was a good was to visualize and explain how proteins missfold.

Thanks for the heads up!!

Good read thus far. I haven't had a chance to read it all, but will make time tonight.

Good article. Bit-tech has also been testing Folding@Home performance in their GPU reviews, which is nice to see.

This was a great article. Definitely read the whole thing.

and here i thought it was for stress testing nvidia gpus? :confused:

:p

i tried to get my account to sign up for hard folding but i gave up on it, now i just make sure im team 11 or whatever it is, i would have to double check ;)

i tried to get my account to sign up for hard folding but i gave up on it, now i just make sure im team 11 or whatever it is, i would have to double check ;)

Team 33.

Thanks for the link. That was a good read. I just got a co-worker to get involved with FAH and he will probably find this interesting as well.

Back