What is best software to Stress GFX

Darlok

Limp Gawd
Hey guys..I bought an MSI 970GTX Golden edition and am having some issues with it.. My monitor sometimes goes black for 1-2 seconds and rarely i see blue horizontal lines on screen while 3D gaming. Also yesterday i noticed in World of Warcraft that a picture where i should be seeing a Gold Coin.. was completely black? what the? And Now.. as i'm typing this post.. I notice my keyboard has horrendous lag...... ...

Is there any good software that can stress the Video card for me..

Thnx

Also... I'm in World of Warcraft.. and This screen pops up... Not sure why?

I just have WoW Open... Should my CPU spike like that? And what is the cause of that screen opening.. This is my build.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $279.99)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $36.99)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $59.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (Purchased For $123.00)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $164.99)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (Purchased For $400.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $119.99)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $80.00)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $19.99)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 FLX 68.0 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For $25.00)
Total: $1309.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-24 21:37 EST-0500

Are you using any software for overclocking? If so, return to stock values and see if the issues persist.

What version of the NV driver are you using? If 347.09 or earlier try updating to 347.25 which was released two days ago.

Short term testing I use 3DMark, but long term testing is best done in normal games for me. I had what I thought was a solid OC on my GTX 980, as it passed both 3DMark and multiple Unigine Heaven and Valley runs for many hours, but it would cause soft-lock in either Civ: Beyond Earth or Diablo 3. To each their own, but that's what I prefer using.

I haven't played WoW for many years, but if I ran the client in full-screen and alt+tabbed out I remember getting that color scheme error fairly often. Once I switched to borderless windowed mode I never had that problem again. YMMV, but I would start there. Also, those CPU spikes are normal during any game.

Nope I dont overclock.. Anything... I'm thinking i cut corners on the MOBo.. It's pretty cheap and flimsy.. Might replace it nxt week for a Asus VII Hero edition..... Using the latest driver.. I just built my rig yesterday...

and thanks

Also my Video Card idels at 55-57 whether at desktop or with WOW at max settings and Secondlife (which is a 3d Intensive game with max settings cranked up) at the same time.. Is that normal?

Personally, I've truly enjoyed my 4770k and MSI Z87 GD-65 Gaming and will never buy an Asus product again, but you'll find others who say the exact opposite. In the end it's personal preference and what you're comfortable with. Good luck with your troubleshooting, and please remember to report back with what your final solution was.

Here's the Afterburner.. I just downloaded it to check Temp (not overclocking) Are my video Card settings normal? Nothing is running in the background..

gfx_zpsfsjtcdai.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Personally, I've truly enjoyed my 4770k and MSI Z87 GD-65 Gaming and will never buy an Asus product again, but you'll find others who say the exact opposite. In the end it's personal preference and what you're comfortable with. Good luck with your troubleshooting, and please remember to report back with what your final solution was.

It's just that the PC MAte 97.. the Connections in the back for the peripherals are kinda flimsy and cheap.. and loose.. Compared to my OLD OLD ASUS DELUXE mb build.. There is no comparison in quality... Also the MB (I think it's the MB) Sometimes doesn't power up my KB or mouse. Several times while installing different software which required lots of reboots i didn't get Power to my keyboard... Also what's weird is i notice a keyboard delay at times while typing... My text doesn't register on the screen right away and when i backspace it jitters and skips

Based on reviews I see what you mean about the PC Mate being flimsy. I've experienced the same issue of no power to keyboard after cold boot on a different motherboard (ironically, my Asus M4A785TD-V Evo) and found the motherboard to be the culprit. If you can upgrade without too much hassle, I would do so.

As for your Afterburner pic, I am disturbed by the 59c idle temp. I would typically expect to see idle temps no more than 10-12c above ambient temp, and I refuse to believe you comfortably live with your thermostat set to 47c (116f). Temps play a HUGE factor in how stable these cards are and how well they boost, and erratic temperature spikes could play into overall instability.

I can't definitively say that you have a bad card, because we may be working with a faulty motherboard as well, and I don't know how you have your fans set for your case, but I think there is more troubleshooting to be done and a lot more testing.

Based on reviews I see what you mean about the PC Mate being flimsy. I've experienced the same issue of no power to keyboard after cold boot on a different motherboard (ironically, my Asus M4A785TD-V Evo) and found the motherboard to be the culprit. If you can upgrade without too much hassle, I would do so.

As for your Afterburner pic, I am disturbed by the 59c idle temp. I would typically expect to see idle temps no more than 10-12c above ambient temp, and I refuse to believe you comfortably live with your thermostat set to 47c (116f). Temps play a HUGE factor in how stable these cards are and how well they boost, and erratic temperature spikes could play into overall instability.

I can't definitively say that you have a bad card, because we may be working with a faulty motherboard as well, and I don't know how you have your fans set for your case, but I think there is more troubleshooting to be done and a lot more testing.

Oh hey man.. I just read that someone had the same issue with the fans and a MSI Rep told them that the fans on these cards don't spin until 65 degrees or over and that 55-60 is the normal temperature for these cards at idle unless u set custom fan settings which will bring down temps to 40 with low rpm fan noise.

I'm actually going to exchange the MB.. for an Asus VII Hero.. I will also change the CPU Cooler to a Noctua (since i see my ram will clear it) and just try to do a Minor OC on the 4.0 ghz.. (never oc'd before but i will try it)

Btw I had my PC on for 4 hours.. And as i was talking to my friend 10 mins ago.. My screen went black for (first, 3 seconds, 10 seconds after that for 20 seconds, and then 10 secs after that for 15 secs.. etc..) Kept donig that.. Now it hasn't went blank.. I tried pressing the keyboard and or/mouse but it didn't help.. It just came back on it's own.. It didn't lose power because the LED on it didn't turn off. Any idea what might cause that? the Video Card maybe? Thanks

Ahh, I forgot about the MSI cards and the silent fan profile at idle. Your black screens tend to suggest hardware issue since software issues should be resolved by this stage in driver development for single card. I used to get them on my rig which has a GTX 980, but not since I installed 344.75, and even then only when I had an unstable OC and only during gaming.

Generally, when troubleshooting you only want to replace one component at a time, and based on all the information at hand I absolutely support getting a better motherboard. Whether you choose to exchange your video card at the same time is up to you. Preferably I'd like to see the new motherboard tested and the system benchmarked with a known-working video card so that there is a baseline for the new video card, but if you don't have parts available that's understandable. In the end, it's your call, and depends on what's easy for you and what the exchange policy is from where you purchased your parts. I like to take my time on a new build before making it my primary rig, but some return/exchange policies don't allow for my preferred time frame.

That color scheme prompt is crap. It's Windows going hysterical because you're somewhat remotely close to using a fraction of its precious VRAM. You can't even turn it off, and I get it every time when I play a game, at an unpredictable time, sometimes causing the game to crash if it's sensitive to focus loss.

Bollocks, I say.

OMG.. TY Guys.. I just ran 3D Mark... I'm getting coil noise from my GPU at some Scenes... especially the "Ice storm one" My GPU sounds like a boiling kettle full of water at that Ice Storm one!!!.... EEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWW! Wow.. this is the first time I actually heard my fans spin up... Thanks for the heads up... I will be RMA'ing this card..

Question... Should I upgrade my Seasonic X series PSU to PLATINUM from an X Series GOLD.. I have an X-650 and Might be doing a slight overclock sometime in the near future. Would there be a difference between Gold and Plat while doing an oc?

OH>> WTF??? I'm going have to pay RMA of my Video Card to Newegg? That's gonna be like $20 from NYC! Err.... Guys.. Should I just return my Video card for a refund and get an Asus Strig or an EVGA from Microcenter $50-60 cheaper than the Gold I have? It might save me in S&H in the long run since i live 10 mins away from a Microcenter.... What do u think? I dont play the latest 3D game titles... Is there a big difference in performance between the Gold and the other 970's Microcenter carries? Please let me know!!! Thanks

Last edited:
Unfortunately there were quite a few 900s that have coil whine, and I'm sorry to hear that yours is one of them.

For the PSU question, I wouldn't sink the money into it. The additional efficiency you'll gain will not offset the cost. 650 is more than enough for your rig, even with overclocking. I have a 4770k @ 4.5GHz and a Gigabyte GTX 980 with many fans and storage devices, and at max load I'm pulling barely over 400w from the wall.

I'm not sure you're going to be able to return the card, because Newegg's policy is exchange only, with refund only being an option if they don't have the exact same SKU immediately available for replacement. If you can, cool, take your money elsewhere, but you might be stuck with them for a while. What you can do, if you haven't already done so in the past, is sign up for a 'Premiere' membership trial, which qualifies you for free return shipping. It won't help the speed of the return (or the speed coming back) but at least it'll knock out the cost. Just remember to cancel your Premiere membership before the auto-renewal at the end of the month.

oh hey man.. Yeah i actually signed up for that premier per someones suggestion last week before I started buying my computer.. I signed up for it because they said it's good perk in case u need to return something.. I only signed up for 3 months though...

But yeah.. I just got into LIVE CHAT and explained my situation trying to request an RMA... And the LIVE CHAT guy ENDED the conversion with me! He told me to wait while he checks into it while i was explaining the monitor flickering and the coil whine.. Told me to wait.. I waited 15 minutes... And then he ended the Convo!! Wtf? lol I got the card from Newegg along with the PSU and Memory 3 days ago.. I want to return this... I hope i can.. If not I can always chargeback and send it to return address with a signature confirmation

Last edited:
oh WOW>> i just finished chatting with an Online rep at Newegg.. His first reply was "Please contact the manufacturer for help with this problem" just based on the drop down menu to what I selected before starting Chat. Then I tell him.. This isn't a software issue.. This is coil whine noise and my monitor going on and off.. I told him my PSU and Memory works good but this Video Card sux... Then his next reply was that the Video Card cannot be returned for a refund.. only for an exchange.. I told him, are you kidding me? i just got this card 2 days ago!!?? I told him I dont mind an exchange it's the time factor I have an issue with and the S&H costs. He told me he will talk to his manager and get back to me tomorrow.

On a side note guys.. I have ready in the past mannnnnnnnnny complaints about Newegg.. I have purchased alot of parts from them in the past, dating back 15+ yrs ago. I'm in my 30's so yeah.. I never once had to RMA anything to any company in all the years i've been an Avid PC user with an exception of an EVGA video card which btw EVGA not only replaced but upgraded me to a much much better one for free. I read horror stories about RMAs with newegg and was kinda always in unbelief whether they were true or not.. I always thought, Newegg? Nah!! can't be true! But now I see how down the toilet the company has gone to.. It's like U gotta hussle with these guys!! It's like a street hussle... The card is brand spanking new.. It hasn't been even 4 days since I got it! I learned my lesson... I will definitely shop at Microcenter from now on... I went with newegg to avoid paying tax to shave off a few dollars.. but never again!

Last edited:
I'm really sorry to hear about your horrible experience. Mine involved 4 weeks of waiting (due to shipping speed from GA to CA and "processing" time) and I consider myself very lucky to have gotten a functional card after just one exchange. There is some coil whine but a very VERY small amount and only on certain dark settings, and this functional card OCs horribly, but at least it's functional.

I'm also in my 30s, and I remember when it was Egghead Software and they closed their stores to go to a purely online storefront. 2014 was the first year I had a problem, and the last year I will support their business.

I would be careful about considering the chargeback. By their policies, which you agreed to in the fine print, they're within their right to refuse a refund. You can, however, spread your feelings over the internet on social media and help people understand why they shouldn't support that company as well. If you do have to contact MSI for a manufacturer's warranty RMA I have personally had a positive experience getting warranty work done on a video card from them, we also have an MSI rep now on the board who might be able to help.

Well honestly you've spent a lot of money you shouldn't have on parts you're not utilizing so I wouldn't spend any more especially since your psu is an excellent one already as well as more than capable for your system. As far as upgrading the mobo to the Asus vii hero I wouldn't suggest it since again you're not overclocking.

It does sound like the video card will need to be replaced. Since it is Newegg you're likely just going to have to either exchange it or return it and eat the restocking costs.

P. S. I haven't shopped at Newegg for at least 10 years because of how chappy their service and prices became. They fixed their prices but their service still sucks.

yeah thanks guys.. I actually put the Asus ROG Hero Foruma VII into my rig (picked it up from Microcenter after the PC mate exchange and there is ABSOLUTELY no comparison between the 2 cards..(Well the Comparison is sooo humongous It's funny!) The Asus smokes the PC Mate out of the water.. 2k+ 3d Marks same settings.. and runs 6' cooler on idle (haven't run any GPU stress tests aside from Demo Benchmarks.. Maybe the better tier MSI coards are good but I like Asus..

The Video card is 3-4 days old in my possession... I would understand if i had it for a longer time frame.. It's practically a brand new spanking MSI Card! I didn't buy it for OC.. I bought it because Newegg had 5 stars reviews on it with it having least chances to have coil whine. Newegg blocks reviews.. I posted a negative review about that Card and it's still not posted (2 days after) I kinda got scammed.. I will be asking for a Refund... If Newegg wont give it to me.. I know my bank will.. I never did a chargeback in almost 16+ yrs I've had a CC. This will be my first and from Newegg.

CLimber.. There is a HUGE diff in quality between parts.. the Asus MOBO was 4x heavier.. Didn't even bend one bit when connecting all the components... Is sturdy.. has foam patted I/o Shield!!!!! That's crazy?? I thought the PC mate would break while plugging in fan connectors, that's how delicate it was! ... The PC MATE is garbage compared to it. I guess u do get what u pay for.. Oh well, lesson learned... I'll never try to skim down on quality parts to shave off a few bucks.. I dont want to deal with the headache and I'm getting older so have low tolerance for it.... I was building an enthiusiast buid... And those tend to hit 1400-1600 unless you're SLI'ing (which I wasn't) Anything less than that and you are gambling with quality.... Btw I'm sure the MSI gaming + and the higher tier boards are great.. I dont want to dog MSI.. I'm sure they're a good company in their own way... I'm doing a shotty comparison between a PC mate (which is a lower tier card) compared to an ASUS which costs almost 4x as Much. So yeah... Not very good review... It's just that I listened to someone who told me I dont need the good MOBOs.. and i went with the one they suggested only to regret my purchase.

I've seen more than few video cards produce coil whine in 3dMark's Ice Storm benchmark, but not in normal gaming situations. It seems if the GPU can run super high fps (like 500+), they will make a little noise.
I wasn't aware NewEgg didn't do refunds on GPUs. That's good information to know. I guess my next GPUs will probably come from Amazon. Good luck with the refund.

It's also been reported a few times at desktop or while webpage surfing based on the content. I have no noticeable coil whine except for when I'm on certain websites, but it is only barely noticeable and I don't go to those sites very often. I consider myself very lucky that I don't detect any during 3D applications.

Back