What is best set-up for Security Camera and Storage

AP514

Limp Gawd
Looking to set up my security system at my house..research Phase ATM......

So far looking at POE for Cameras...

Maybe Blue Irus for software but open to ideas...

Thinking 3-12TB Shucck'd drives from Bestbuy $179. 2 of the Drives in a Raid type config with the 3rd for longer term storage.

So, what type of setup would I need for this idea ?

Thanks in advance for the info

AP514

So far looking at POE for Cameras...
Search for Dahua n Hikvision, cheap china cameras but work well. Recommended you check ipcamtalk forums for details on cameras and vendors.

Maybe Blue Irus for software but open to ideas...
I ran Blue Iris on i7 4770k for 5 years, work well, recently i moved to Nx Witness, and now im running the same setup on Pentium J5005. Blue Iris you do need a beaffy setup and you will have to pay yearly if you want updates, with Nx Witness is a one time licence per camera and you get all updates for free lifetime, both are good, depends on your budget and what you want.

Thinking 3-12TB Shucck'd drives from Bestbuy $179. 2 of the Drives in a Raid type config with the 3rd for longer term storage.
I have ran WD Purple on Blue Iris and Nx Witness, but certainly can be ran on most hard drives, so at the end its up to you.

I don't know anything about this but I did see that both Bitwit and Paul's hardware on YouTube put out video's on this topic which you may have a look at if only to see what not to do in some instances.

How Beaffy ? I was thinking of using my old system.(second line in my SIG. And adding the 3- 12TB hard drives
Depends on a lot of things, one of the things that frees up more cpu is direct to disk, also the mp/resolution, the fps that you will run the cameras, motion detect, etc. On ipcamtalk they correlate passmark with blueiris, yours is a very old quad core with no hyperthreading, still i think it should manage 8x 1080p streams, again depends a lot on how you set the cameras and blue iris.

One thing that hindered blue iris is there is no support for x265 with intel quicksync, so be careful what cameras you buy, im not sure how it is atm, probably is fixed by now, but the recomendation was to go nvidia... but i try to have this type of servers as efficient as possible and going with nvidia will be another power source that should been ran with igpu, Nx Witeness does it without any issues.

Last edited:
When I used to have my own camera setup, I ran Hikvision and HoSafe 1080p cameras. I ran Milestone XProtect Essential (free for up to 8 cameras). It supported Intel Quick Sync at the time as well as Nvidia for offloading. This was a few years ago, so I'd imagine a lot has changed by now, but the software was great for it being free.

I can't speak to whats best, but I recently set up a system based off of Unifi video.

In my brief research I went with this option because it was the only one I could set up running a software server on my VM server, rather than having to buy special hardware to serve as the recording station. I really want to rely on my storage pool rather than a limited little drive in a specialized box.

Another thing I like about it is that I have absolutely no connectivity on the system to the outside world. It is 100% local without any cloud connectivity what so ever.

I have a single ethernet cable going through the wall to the outside, where a little outdoor POE powered switch allows me to run cables to my two POE powered little cameras.

Best part was that it was cheap, and produces good quality video. Ubiquiti has lots of camera options available, but based on feedback in their forums, everyone was telling me there is no reason to go beyond the cheapest one, the G3 flex, which is what I did at, $75 a pop. I used their proprietary static 24v PoE system because it was cheap, but the camera also supports standard PoE. For me it was a 4 port Unifi NanoSwitch for $36, and a Unifi POE24 1 amp POE adapter for $15, and that's all the hardware I bought (other than cabling)

Ubnt tries to sign you up for their new cloud based Unifi Protect system, but they have committed to supporting their older local server based Unifi Video 3 system for the foreseeable future, so I opted with that. It's not publicized anywhere on the front page though.

The only thing I don't like about this system is it's motion detection system coupled with the IR lighting.

I get a ton of backscatter when it rains or snows or bugs fly by, so there are many false positives on motion triggered recording, which I have to spend time sorting through and deleting, unless I want to use disk space for no reason. I may have to spend some more time setting up my sensitivy settings.

Let me know if you are interested in some video quality samples. I can do both daytime and night.

Last edited:
Back