what is best gpu under $100?

According to videobenchmark.net it has the best performance to price ratio right now. Additionally, I might be wrong on this, but from what I gather the 6850 apparently runs cooler than the other 6xxx GPUs (if this makes a difference :confused: ).

Why the sad Smiley?
Isn't running cooler a good thing?
Ah, the dark background doesn't do justice. It's a smiley with three question marks over its head. The reason I put it there was because I didn't know if it would be relevant or not. But yeah, if it runs cooler that's a good thing -- especially for the performance it will give you and the performance:price ratio. It isn't THE best one performance-wise, but it's pretty high up in that list. I'll let other people comment here; I don't and shouldn't be the only one to offer opinion. ;o

Is there one you recommend? For price/performance ratio?
If you're tight on money and want the best bang for the dollar, it'd be the 6850 right now. Take a look at http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+6850 -- see the "Videocard Value (G3D Mark / $Price )" part -- and compare this to http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html (find the 6850 in the list, should be 12th from the top). All the cards above it are like $225-$1000 range.

someone else please comment besides just me! D:

You may also want to browse the For Sale / Trade section daily, and when you find someone selling a GPU, look that GPU up on http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html to find out where it sits as far as performance, its performance:price ratio, and how much they usually go for 'new', and then make judgments of whether or not it would be worth purchasing from a HardForum'er. No need to rush anything; just be patient and take it easy. :)

Last edited:
I found a few different 6850s from xfx and others is there a difference besides clock speed?
I really like look of the xfx 6850 that one has a few different ones at different clock speeds.
Should I go for stock speed or oc?
The one I first saw for $129 was a 800mhz clocked card there is also 775mhz and 820mhz.

From reviews the 6850 can get loud to around 60db
I have no idea how to compare but that seems loud

From reviews the xfx 6850 is loud and the Asus 6850 is quieter
Should that be concern as far as noise goes for a htpc?
And for xfx model there is one that is clocke at 775mhz and other at 800mhz
Can I get the 775mhz and of if I need and save money rather then getting the 800mhz one?
The Asus 6850 runs quieter but a bit warmer

Here is comparison of both models
xfx 6850 vs Asus 6850

Last edited:
In 3 hours amazon will have "some" type of graphics card on sale.

I found a few different 6850s from xfx and others is there a difference besides clock speed?
I really like look of the xfx 6850 that one has a few different ones at different clock speeds.
Should I go for stock speed or oc?
The one I first saw for $129 was a 800mhz clocked card there is also 775mhz and 820mhz.

From reviews the 6850 can get loud to around 60db
I have no idea how to compare but that seems loud

From reviews the xfx 6850 is loud and the Asus 6850 is quieter
Should that be concern as far as noise goes for a htpc?
And for xfx model there is one that is clocke at 775mhz and other at 800mhz
Can I get the 775mhz and of if I need and save money rather then getting the 800mhz one?
The Asus 6850 runs quieter but a bit warmer

Here is comparison of both models
xfx 6850 vs Asus 6850
I think the most important part is not so much the clocks, but the number of stream processors. More is better. If I am right (I hope I am), even at the same clock speed, a GPU with more stream processors will perform better than one with less.

If they both have the same, then I guess you can choose the one that looks better in numbers. :D

The xfx cards and Asus have same stream processors
Only difference is clock speed
And the Asus seems to run quieter and barely warmer then xfx card

I'm researching components for a budget computer I will be building and selling through my firm, the model will be aimed at budget gamers. And for consumers interested in getting into pc gaming going from consoles. It's just amazing the performance and quality you can get on a budget these days. Cards like 6850 being a perfect example.

6850 is a great card and scales really well with CrossFireX if someone wants to get another one. Asus has the benefit of having excellent cooling (DirectCU) and I've always found their designs better than average and their warranties easy to deal with. If you're considering buying something on sale or used, you can also get the 6870 but that may normally be out of your price range.

6850 is a great card and scales really well with CrossFireX if someone wants to get another one. Asus has the benefit of having excellent cooling (DirectCU) and I've always found their designs better than average and their warranties easy to deal with. If you're considering buying something on sale or used, you can also get the 6870 but that may normally be out of your price range.

So should I go with the Asus 6850 over xfx 6850?

Usually I find Asus designs are the least intelligent, with annoying modifications to the specification that usually prove less productive (e.g. their motherboard layouts changing with different revisions of the same board and stupid ATX 24-pin locations, and their HD3870/8800 TOP cooler being the only cards in their range with no fan control). I would usually advocate Gigabyte, MSI or XFX over Asus or Sapphire. My XFX HD4830 works perfectly after 2 1/2 years, yet myself and others have had countless issues with Asus and Sapphire cards.

The only thing that the xfx 6850 has me concerned about is the loud fan that from reviews says runs loud at around 60dbs

XFX use very high default fan speeds. You can just manually adjust it to your liking in catalyst.

OK I will go with the xfx.
The xfx has few models with only difference is the clock speed.
Can I just buy the 775mhz stock clocked card and oc myself and save the money then buying the other 800mhz clocked card?

Back