What is auditd in UNIX?

enmtx

Gawd
I have a SCO Unix machine here with an error that reads...

auditd: error on write of audit device

What exactly is auditd???

Originally posted by enmtx
I have a SCO Unix machine here with an error that reads...

auditd: error on write of audit device

What exactly is auditd???

The process auditing daemon.

"man auditd" is your friend.

However, SCO is evil. Use anything else.

i almost pissed myself when i saw that word and "i am running" in the same line.... :mad:
seriously man, there are many other *free* unix versions that are not run by companies trying to sue the shit out of a totally neutral community project. *BSDs, and i am sure you can find others.

Originally posted by cloaked
i almost pissed myself when i saw that word and "i am running" in the same line.... :mad:
seriously man, there are many other *free* unix versions that are not run by companies trying to sue the shit out of a totally neutral community project. *BSDs, and i am sure you can find others.

SCO isn't attacking Linux specifically; they're attacking all other Unix license holders (IBM, Sun, etc.) That includes commercial Unix vendors selling non-Linux, non-*BSD-based platforms.

The *BSDs are probably going to avoid being hit. They had their day at the Soaps back in '92. SCO UNIX is just garbage, though. That SCO is now suing people doesn't change the fact that their OS sucks(ed).

Alright rather than bashing what I'm running... gimme a fucking answer. I didn't ever buy into SCO, this was implimented far before I started working here as the OS on our accounting server. It only has one task... keep track of our accouting information. I'm trying to get them to switch to a SQL or other database software instead but right now we don't have the money or time to make such a huge change. Thanks for those who answered.

These days, telling Unix types that you're running SCO is like walking through Compton saying "I'm a member of the Klan, how do I get this !!!!!! blood out of my white uniform?".

It's been that way for many years. The recent actions of SCO have turned those who haven't worked with SCO software against them as well.

Honestly, I would suggest migrating to a different system. There are plenty of alternative systems to run, and plenty of tools to migrate software over to them. Waiting just makes it harder and ties you down further to legacy stuff. If you run SCO because you want to run it, that's fine, I won't argue with you on that. If not, there are better alternatives. This is the same thing I say to those who run older versions of HPUX, AIX, and Solaris.

Listen to Snugglebear, he knows what he's talking about. Even putting aside the name and the company, the actual unix implementation is far inferior to almost anything else out there.

Hell, you'd be better off with NT4...almost. win2k definitely.

The other side of this is: The best way to make a positive impact in a short amount of time is to find the weakest link in the IT chain and improve/replace it.

However, as you probably don't care ( for whatever reason, there are people that don't believe in trying to do the best job they can ), here's a link: http://mirrors.ccs.neu.edu/cgi-bin/unixhelp/man-cgi?auditd+1

Back