What is an embedded controller (ec), and do I need to update its firmware?

biggles

2[H]4U
I have an 2016 MSI laptop that has been having battery issues lately. On the MSI forum they suggested updating the ec firmware. I did follow this advice yesterday. Is this something that needs to be updated on all modern laptops and computers these days? It looks similar to a bios update. I don't recall seeing anything about an ec on the desktop PC which runs a Gigabyte z97 motherboard.

Which controller did you update its firmware for? Where are you getting the files to update?

I would think your battery issues are being caused by an old battery at this point, not necessarily the firmware.

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GT72S-6QD-DOMINATOR-G#down-firmware
EC firmware update came from here. Battery was already replaced with new one last week, but I was getting the light in the lower left corner blinking red (blinking red only after new battery install, not with old one). Manual says the blinking red light is related to battery issues. Anyway, after updating the firmware I reran the MSI calibration tool. At least for now the blinking red light went away. Reason for original post was to better understand what an EC is and whether I should be paying attention to EC firmware updates for other computers.

Am embedded controller could be anything. The sdcard slot, a FireWire Port, an Ethernet Port. Pretty much anything that isn't included in the chipset of the motherboard is going to have an embedded controller controlling it. That's why I was asking for more specifics. I wouldn't worry about your regular motherboards though. Usually they will come out with a fix if there is a need for it.

Back