What is after Asus Ep121

Methadras

Supreme [H]ardness
Can anyone fathom a guess what Asus is going to do with the next version of this tablet?

I've heard rumors of a minor update this year that add a Trusted Protection Module to make it more business friendly. Beyond that I wouldn't expect a whole lot until Windows 8, I'm pretty sure that there will be at the very least a Sandy Bridge version with a 1366x766 screen hopefully to support side by side apps with the new Windows 8 tiles UI.

I didn't have to get my thermal sensor replaced but other than that I've REALLY love my EP121, it's only real weakness is it's battery life and it is a bit on the heavy side for a tablet but for what it can do it's no heavier than a Macbook Air. I can't wait to install the Windows 8 beta on it which should be out next month. I think that you'll see an explosion on Windows tablets announced when the shipping date for Windows 8 is announced.

While mobile OS tablets are fine I think there's a growing audience that wants not a giant phone tablet but a small computer tablet.

After having a EP121 for my wife, I would love to see them do the following for the next generation:

- Newer CPU, ideally Sandy Bridge (or Ivy Bridge if they wait for Windows 8)
- Faster & eventually larger SSD, as its speed is the only weakness of the hardware on the EP121 (for when it was released)
- Maybe more RAM (its always getting cheaper)

A higher resolution wouldn't hurt, but 1366x768 isn't much bigger than the resolution it has now. Longer battery life would also be nice, but I don't know if battery tech is making any leaps and bounds these days (I don't keep up on that, though maybe I should).

A higher resolution wouldn't hurt, but 1366x768 isn't much bigger than the resolution it has now.

True but 1366x768 is the minimum resolution needed for side by side apps in Windows 8 and for a 12.1-12.5" display I think that resolution is fine. Yes a SB CPU or whatever is next would be ideal. Performance wise overall though I've been very happy with the EP121. I think that upping the battery life would be more important than a performance boost though a SB CPU would probably be able to do both.

True but 1366x768 is the minimum resolution needed for side by side apps in Windows 8

Ah, I haven't been following Win8 development as well as I should it seems! I was unaware of that requirement :)

In a way I'm sad that they are releasing a new version of Windows so soon, when Win7 is just starting to really gain traction (lots of folks upgrading / getting new systems) - I'd rather they just did a service pack that added more tablet oriented functionality. We'll see where they take it all, though...

Ah, I haven't been following Win8 development as well as I should it seems! I was unaware of that requirement :)

In a way I'm sad that they are releasing a new version of Windows so soon, when Win7 is just starting to really gain traction (lots of folks upgrading / getting new systems) - I'd rather they just did a service pack that added more tablet oriented functionality. We'll see where they take it all, though...

Microsoft is following their traditional 3 years between releases, XP just went long though Windows Vista to 7 was short. But Windows 8 is going to be a big change, not just the touch interface.

After having a EP121 for my wife, I would love to see them do the following for the next generation:

- Newer CPU, ideally Sandy Bridge (or Ivy Bridge if they wait for Windows 8)
- Faster & eventually larger SSD, as its speed is the only weakness of the hardware on the EP121 (for when it was released)
- Maybe more RAM (its always getting cheaper)

A higher resolution wouldn't hurt, but 1366x768 isn't much bigger than the resolution it has now. Longer battery life would also be nice, but I don't know if battery tech is making any leaps and bounds these days (I don't keep up on that, though maybe I should).

The biggest drive you can get right now to mod into the ep121 is a 120gig. I know heatlessun got a bigger battery for his too. So tempting to just wait.

I really do like the idea of it, but I think that it needs to mature a little bit more as well.

Adding a 2nd RAM slot to this machine and give it the same specs. as found on ultraportables would be really hot. 3820tg for example boasts longer battery life than this while running the dual-core core mobile i3-i7 instead of the UM variation.

Another thing that I would like to see is actually a beefier EEE Transformer merger with the EEE slate. If the thing can dock with a battery pack keyboard unit, then we have ourselves a very potent productivity tool. I am not hoping to game on it so discrete graphics isn't a biggie here, but using Sandy Bridge or Bulldozer/Fusion would be interesting to see for more multimedia prowess on this bad boy.

Actually, there is a 3rd feature that's "nice to have", being the ability to make the unit function as a Cintiq so that you can plug the thing to your production machine when you need the additional firepower and in need of a Cintiq...

Back