What is a good upgrade to Klipsch Promedia 2.1 + Sound Blaster E1(static on headphones) ?

FM 3370

Gawd
I've been using Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 speakers probably since 2004 and love them. I'm on my 3rd set since then and so far I think they're perfect.

Looking through some threads I realize there might be something better out there I can upgrade to. Right now they are connected to a Sound Blaster E1 yet when I plug in my Sennheiser HD 598 CS (love these headphones) I notice a lot of static when I'm at low volume or static. Any recommendations on a good upgrade from the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's? I'm looking for a better 2.1 setup. I'm not a gamer anymore and listen to mainly African music with heavy bass guitar.

I think upgrading to a Sound Blaster E5 may resolve the static issues and would love to have a new 2.1 speaker system to compliment that purchase. I'd like to keep the speaker price $300 or under yet if there is something better that will last me the next 10 years I wouldn't mind investing more.

FM 3370

Gawd
I can't offer any upgrade advice, but why the 3rd set, first two fail?
The first set broke due to the subwoofer connection coming loose after being bumped a few times and I tossed the subwoofer instead of repairing it.
Second set I found at Goodwill for $25 yet the subwoofer speaker had problems at higher volumes(buzzing) so I tossed the subwoofer and kept the two speakers.
My third and current set I also found at Goodwill for about $35 about 5 years ago and they are still in perfect condition. They are the original version of the Promedia 2.1's so I'm in heaven.

Realistically I probably just need to upgrade my Sound Blaster E1 for the static. I have two of them and both are emitting static over headphones.

IdiotInCharge

[H]F Junkie
This has an easy solution: do not plug your headphones into the speakers.

If you're using some trash (or just a corporate headset or somesuch) then the speaker 'extension' for the headphones is probably alright.

But for audiophile grade cans?

You might even be better plugging them into the motherboard headphone output directly!

(if you want to buy something, go get a headphone amp)

atarione

[H]ard|Gawd
what IdiotInCharge said.. those Senn's 598CS headphones only have 23ohms impedance, I would assume you're having noise floor issues with the headphone out put on the Klipsch headphone jack... have you tried plugging the headphones into the sound card directly?

FM 3370

Gawd
what IdiotInCharge said.. those Senn's 598CS headphones only have 23ohms impedance, I would assume you're having noise floor issues with the headphone out put on the Klipsch headphone jack... have you tried plugging the headphones into the sound card directly?

I'm plugging the headphones into the Sound Card (Sound Blaster E1) directly.

FM 3370

Gawd
This has an easy solution: do not plug your headphones into the speakers.

If you're using some trash (or just a corporate headset or somesuch) then the speaker 'extension' for the headphones is probably alright.

But for audiophile grade cans?

You might even be better plugging them into the motherboard headphone output directly!

(if you want to buy something, go get a headphone amp)

I plug the Sennheiser 598 CS directly to the Sound Blaster E1. I haven't tried plugging the headphones into the Klipsch headphone jack since that would add more distance between the headphones and Sound Blaster E1.