What is a good tower cooler for a 4790k if I'm not OCing?

Compddd

[H]ard|Gawd
I won't be OCing, but I value silence so something that cools good without too much noise. The catch is that the tower + fan can't be higher than 160mm, I can't seem to find anything.

Any recommendations?

My 4790k is gonna a moderate OC but I'm not into watercooling nowadays, I still prefer air for simplicity and cost and after a lot of research, I settled on a lesser known but very well rated cooler, 140 True Spirit Power from Thermalright

9v8s3mi.jpg

But its taller then what you can fit, so a lower profile option would be the Thermalright 200R, its only 73 mm tall

thermalright_axp-200r_install-5.jpg

Bang for buck is basically unbeatable for the Hyper 120 EVO from Coolermaster. It will just fit at 159mm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

cooler-master-hyper-212-evo.jpg

Anyone seen the Phanteks PH-TC14S? 160mm and has a 140 fan. Only problem is that it's not out yet.

Got any connections to poland? http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/SilentiumPC/Grandis_XE1236/ <-grabbed from [H] frontpage.

I'd want to try the 140 True Spirit but its like 171.x mm with 6x 8mm heatpipes. My case restricts me to 160mm as well though.

I own and have used the CM 212 Evo and a Cougar PWM fan, stock 4790k speeds I get around 62c with my temp gun pointed at the case shows 21c for ambient. A CM T4 runs right about the same within 2c. I leave the T4 in as I like the looks better.

Have you looked at anything from BeQuiet! ?

The BeQuiet! stuff is too thick, I need something slim like the Noctua U series.

I own the thermalright. It's on an 2700k OCed to 4.5Ghz. With it running 100% duty cycle compressing video I rarely crack 155F. It's huge so make sure you have a big enough case.

If you're not OCing, you can pretty much get any 120mm fan cooler that will fit in your case. Since you value silence, it has more to do with what fan you choose compared to the heatsink. Most of the higher end ones cool within a few degrees of each other, especially on non-OC'd CPU's.

Personally, I've used the 212+ for several builds and I can't complain.

I won't be OCing, but I value silence so something that cools good without too much noise. The catch is that the tower + fan can't be higher than 160mm, I can't seem to find anything.

Any recommendations?
Where are you located? Makes a big difference in what is available at what price. ;)

Ended up going with the Noctua NH-U12S hooked up via PWM to the Asus mobo. The fan never spins up even during load, and my temps never go above 70C when gaming, and that's with all 4 cores turboing to 4.4GHz thanks to the Asus mobo.

Good combo with the FT05 case, my rig is dead silent except during gaming when the 980 fan spins up.

Back