What is a good MMORPG besides WoW?

Yashu

[H]ard|Gawd
I have tried (or my gf has)... World of Warcraft, EVE online, EQ, EQ2, SWG, FlyFF...

I had spent some time in secondlfe (though I am not proud), and seen sims online.

Ok... Remember Ultima Online? Here is my question... Do people still play it? Ultima Online is the type of MMO I am looking for. I never played it back when it was popular... but that environment is what I am looking for.

A good MMO... not like WoW... I want something a bit more mature. WoW is too much like an arcade game done as an MMO.

So... any suggestions?

The only alternative to wow is guild wars imo. I've tried uo, ao but wow still is the better icing on the cake imo again.

how about Lineage 2???City of heros or City of villans(not quite UO but MMO nonetheless)

Guild Wars is not an MMO... At least not in the definition that I understand.

Guild Wars is 100% instanced (that is what I understand)... that is not what I am looking for at all. Instances are one of the things I hate about WoW.

City of villans

This actually sounds pretty cool. I may check it out.

I also heard there is going to be a stargate MMO? (hopefully it won't be screwed up like the updated SWG)

Ultima Online is still around with free servers. http://www.runuo.com

Other than that there isn't much, Im basically in limbo until warhammer comes. Darkfall is NEVER coming out.

what do you mean Darkfall is "NEVER" coming out?

It's made by an independant studio that's why it takes longer but that game's gonna rock is they do everything they said it'd do!!

well I just landed a job at IWG and have been working on a game called Ashen Empires.
I have been a long time player, was inspired by the game years ago to get into game development, and i ended up with a position there. Its a 2d-isometric game, open class system, new expansion coming out and construction. Its a lot of fun, check it out.

www.ashenempires.com

Its free to play island- and you can get a subscription and get the rest of the lands opened up.

Wouldnt hurt to test the waters ;) right?

Nixxon said:

Other than that there isn't much, Im basically in limbo until warhammer comes. Darkfall is NEVER coming out.

Darkfall better come out, plus there is still Thrones of Chaos aka Mourning

City of Villains is pretty fun for about 3 months. Guild Wars was only fun until I finished all 3 of the campaigns and realized that the PVP is not fun. However, if you are looking for a game with good open PVP, neither of these will be good for you.

Vorret said:
what do you mean Darkfall is "NEVER" coming out?

It's made by an independant studio that's why it takes longer but that game's gonna rock is they do everything they said it'd do!!
The problem with that is when MMORPGs are finally released they never come with everything that they initially promise.

Yashu said:
This actually looks neat... so alot of people still play?

Yes, not comparable to WoW or anything like that, but there is a large community that still plays. Just check it out, and say Thetyrant from the Hardforum sent you, if you post on the forums there.

god.. the control of that game makes kitten cry...
plus it lags like hell, no way I'm paying for that lol

Are you talking about eve?

Let me tell you something about EVE Online.

Alot of people don't like it because they want to be a person of some sort and not just a ship. EVE would be 1000X more popular if you could have an avatar that can get out of the ship and walk around on stations and planets doing various missions and quests. The lack of this kind of identity turns off alot of gamers... alot of women gamers. My girl... she loved SWG for a time... but she never did any of the space missions.

I like the concept though... I tested it for a couple days... it's has a good feel, just needs to be expanded a bit to include more then just your ship.

EVE

edit: i posted this without reading anyone elses post. 2 others beat me to it. its an amazing game.

Yashu said:

Alot of people don't like it because they want to be a person of some sort and not just a ship. EVE would be 1000X more popular if you could have an avatar that can get out of the ship and walk around on stations and planets doing various missions and quests. The lack of this kind of identity turns off alot of gamers... alot of women gamers. My girl... she loved SWG for a time... but she never did any of the space missions.

I like the concept though... I tested it for a couple days... it's has a good feel, just needs to be expanded a bit to include more then just your ship.

hehe no about that other game the guy was talking about... EVE is actually a nice game I just think it's a bit slow paced for a space sim...

Everquest. Played the free trial I got but couldnt stand to pay the monthly fees. It had promise though. If only the serves were more populated.

FFXI is terrible compared to WoW. Trust me don't get it. I am huge fan of the final fantasy series but that game is just awful.

dark age of camelot , new expansion just came out i think. I always go back to that stupid game.

Yashu said:

Supposedly in the works...although not anytime in the near future. I think it will be neat if implemented correctly, though.

CodeX said:
FFVI is terrible compared to WoW. Trust me don't get it. I am huge fan of the final fantasy series but that game is just awful.
*coughFFXIcough*

But yeah, I got pretty bored of 11 as well after a short time.
I had a good time playing City of Heroes myself back when it was in Beta.

Other than that, you should try one of the player-run UltimaOnline shards. Their free (obviously) and the game itself can be pretty fun.

Nixxon said:

lies!

Free UO is pretty fun. If you can find a shard with alot of players and no corrupt gm's.....

FFXI is pretty much dead for the newbie. It still take forever to get to the point where one can do anything with the expansion content released recently. It's mostly focused on the end-game stuff. Which is why I don't play it anymore. Never had the time to grind that much to get that far.

I liked Guild Wars until I reached level 20, which is the limit. Then suddenly, nothing in the game had a point anymore... XP meant nothing, fighting enemies meant nothing (because you dont need XP anymore), finishing the game meant nothing (because there's no reward)... now I really can't stand GW. Also, the inventory/economy is severely limited (ie, you'll only go through about 5 armor sets and maybe 6 weapons in the whole game). You're really not free at all in that regard.

The only thing that I *really* like about that game is the ability to customize your build at all times. This means you can be a completely different style of character, with drastically different spells and strengths/weaknesses almost whenever you want... and its up to you to figure out and master your build. But still, I wouldnt touch another GW game with a 20 ft pole. For me, it crashed and crashed insanely hard one I reached level 20. I understand that some other people dont have that problem, and find the motivation to continue playing, but certainly not me. I played for about 4 more days after reaching 20, just trying to find reason to continue, but there wasnt any, unless you really, really, really, really enjoy killing monsters for no reason other than to watch them die.

keefusm said:
I am surprised no one has mentioned Vanguard yet. It is supposed to be released in the end of January I believe. If there is any MMO that I will be playing, it is going to be this.
http://www.vanguardsoh.com/
You're gonna have to upgrade :eek: but yeah, if you liked EQ2, I hear you.

EQ2 slows to a crawl during action, and this is gonna be no different (this game is basically EQ3 - same creator, same vision, same outrageously high world polycount). I saw it running at the last E3, and it was doing like 5 frames per second, seriously, with no action... just a couple guys standing around outside while it was snowing. The performance was so bad you could hardly even control your character, which, to be honest, was no surprise in the slightest.

But yeah, if you liked EQ2, this is essentially EQ3... but I have no hopes in better performance come launch time, when its finalized, because EQ2 never improved, and is demanding to this day, even with a great machine. Someone needs to school them on how to make better visuals without cranking polycount and particle count. Not only have they completely failed to improve the visuals at all by doing this, but they just make the game run ten times more slowly... and from what I've seen, turning down settings doesn't help enough.

But yeah, my brother played EQ2 for several months... but I never got into it.

Back