What is a good inexspensive replacement for my HBA's?

rkd29980

Limp Gawd
I have 3 servers with Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 HBA's in them and I am told they are shit and that I should replace them. I was looking at the Supermicro AOC-USASLP-L8i but those seem pretty old and not many of them are widely available. Is there a newer LSI 8 port controller that is inexpensive that I can get? I will need 15 of them so my budget is about $20 per card.

Can I ask what makes the current HBAs (AOC-SASLP-MV8) "shit"? (I'm not disagreeing as I have no idea, just genuinely curious as I have a couple and plotting my next upgrade)

Dell PERC h310's are still over 40 dollars.

that would have been my suggestion.

rhouck get some of these and flash it to IT mode.

They are not shit, they are okey! For spinners there is no need to upgrade.

Can I ask what makes the current HBAs (AOC-SASLP-MV8) "shit"? (I'm not disagreeing as I have no idea, just genuinely curious as I have a couple and plotting my next upgrade)

They are Marvell based and Marvell controllers are low grade. Marvell chipsets are finicky, have poor performance, are unreliable etc and not well supported outside of Windows and Linux. FreeNAS for example doesn't support them.

The Marvel SAS chips have much worse support than the LSI SAS chips do. LSI SAS is basically the go to SAS chip for every OS out there with baseline support in the OS and installed in the vast majority of servers worldwide.

Some of the external versions of the LSI cards can be had dirt cheap on ebay. It's the same card just external plugs. If one is willing to remove a slot cover all they'd have to do is route the cables inside. They are $600 16 port cards that can be had for 40-50 bucks. The 8 port ones go for around $30 last time I saw. Of course you'd need all new cables. Maybe not ideal in this particular scenario but worth mentioning. Demand is low on those compared to internal so price is super low.

Last edited:
So I went through that extensive list of LSI cards and these are the cards that meet all my criteria. 1, they are widely available in the US. 2, they are affordable. 3, They are low profile 8 port cards. 4, The ports are on the back of the card and not near the bracket.

Dell PERC H310 --- Between $40-80 per card. Available in bulk quantity from US sellers.
IBM BR10i --- Between $12-60 per card.
Intel RMS25JB080 --- $100 per unit. Available in bulk quantity from a US seller.
Intel RMS25PB080 --- $50 per unit. Available in bulk quantity from a US seller.
LSI 3081E-R --- Between $10-15 per card. Available in bulk quantity from US sellers.
LSI 8888ELP --- Between $17-28 per card. Available in bulk quantity from US sellers.
LSI 9207-8i --- Available in bulk quantity from US sellers (about $100) and from Chinese sellers ($60-75) per card.
LSI 9211-8i --- Between $65 and $85 per card. Available in bulk quantity from many US sellers.
LSI 9217-8i --- About $65 per card. Available in bulk quantity from a US seller and from a Chinese seller.
Intel SASUC8I --- $75. Available in bulk quantity from a US seller.

These cards meet some of my criteria.

Fujitsu D2607 --- About $50 per card. Available in bulk quantity only from Chinese sellers.
Fujitsu W26361-W15812-X-02 --- About $20 per card. Available in bulk quantity only from Chinese sellers.
LSI 8708EM2 --- Between $15 and 30 per from US sellers. Available in bulk quantity only from Chinese ($17-20) sellers. Ports are near bracket.
LSI 2008-8I --- $54-60. Available in bulk quantity only from Chinese sellers.
LSI 9240-8i --- Ports are not on back of the card. Between $73 and 90 per from US sellers. About $67 from a Chinese seller.

These are the other cards I found that may suit my needs but the didn't meet enough of my criteria.

AOC-SAS2LP-H8iR
Dell PERC H200
Dell PERC H710
Dell PERC H710P
Dell PERC H810
IBM M1015
IBM M5014
IBM M5015
IBM M5110
Intel RMS25KB080
Intel SRCSAS144E
Intel SRCSAS18E
LSI 8308ELP
LSI 84016E
LSI 9210-8i
LSI 9260-8i
LSI 9261-8i
LSI 9267-8i

Please give feedback on any of these cards and help me pick the right card. I will need 15 of them. Price is going to be the biggest factor.

I am hoping someone can give me some feedback as to why the IBM BR10i, LSI 3081E-R and LSI 8888ELP are so cheap. They are more in my price range. I can spend more to get the Dell H310's if I need to but I prefer cards that are in the $10-20 range. I certainly can NOT have a card that has a 2TB limit since my drives are 6TB.

They are based on a very old slower 3Gb/s chipset LSI 1068 with a disk limit of max 2TB
You need the newer LSI 2008 chipset (6Gb/s, supports disks >2TB)

So I got my 15 Dell H310's today. Do I really need to flash these cards? It seems like such a hassle and quite frankly, I am too lazy to flash 15 cards.

Is there some way to tell if it has already been flashed to IT mode? I put one of these in my server and started up FreeNAS and sure enough, 8 of my drives are showing in FreeNAS where none did on the Marvell AOC-SASLP-MV8 HBA's. I also now see this when I boot up the system. It seems to indicate these cards are not running in RAID mode. It also says to press Ctrl+R to run the configuration utility. Would it be possible to turn enable IT more from there if I need to?

Back