What If Windows 10 Fails?

The MAC users will never shut the hell up from gloating for one...

Why would Media Access Control users gloat about Windows?

Now, Mac users, on the other hand, would get a chuckle out of the role reversal for about five minutes, then go back to their daily lives.

Well what else are you going to use? Linux lolno, MacOS sure if you're willing to get ripped off buying Apple hardware, a mobile OS lolno. Windows is the only real desktop OS choice.

Well what else are you going to use? Linux lolno, MacOS sure if you're willing to get ripped off buying Apple hardware, a mobile OS lolno. Windows is the only real desktop OS choice.

People still buy into this myth? OK, fella.

> People will probably keep using Windows 7 much like many
> kept using Windows XP until recently.

Until recently? Anyone with more than 2 brain cells knows how to hack XP with a few registry keys to turn it into POSready 2009, which allows XP to receive updates until 2019.

Windows is the only real desktop OS choice.

It's the only desktop OS that has a huge ecosystem across hardware and software. If you have no need for this ecosystem then Linux is quite viable. Macs and OS X have a unique position with the hardware and software integration that has a loyal base.

It's not a myth. I don't think there's ever been a Mac that you couldn't get the PC equivalent power-wise for significantly less money. Apple has always had a large markup on their products since forever.

I might be unusual in my decision-making process but I think when Windows 10 comes out, I'd like it to get an Intel Skylake CPU, DX12 for games and a 4K Blu-ray drive. I'll probably keep the computer I just built for Windows 7. Two computers at one desk might seem odd but I like Windows 7 enough that I don't want to take a chance and lose it. Plus, it can run all my old games. lol

windows 8 is fully usable, ME not so much.

Windows Me was more like Vista. It had some stability issues out of the gate for some people.

But neither Vista, nor Me was such a huge directional mistake that it got the project lead, and CEO both fired. :)

It is hard to overstate how huge a miss-step Windows 8/RT was. The plans were known and shown well in advance. The decisions were widely criticized by just about everyone well in advance of release, but all constructive feedback was blithely ignored by a completely tone-deaf Microsoft.

It is hard to imagine that Microsoft wasn't humbled by this experience and instead of ignoring feedback like last time, they should be working with large corporate customers to address everything that so alienated them last time.

So I expect Win10 will do much better than Windows8 in sales/reviews/corporate acceptance.

What if it fails? It won't fail, way too many people need/want windows. Look at how many people are "dealing" with Windows 8.

I'm building a new gaming rig in the next couple of weeks, and I'm gonna put Windows 8.1 on it. But only until Windows 10 comes out, then I will be upgrading for free as soon as its available.

I believe the argument you make here is probably the strongest one for desktop Linux. The biggest problem with the argument is that OEMs just don't bother much with installing desktop Linux on retail devices. And that's not at all an issue with Linux.
That won't happen for YEARS. If 2015 was the year of Linux then 2020 is when OEMs start including it. Even then it'll be a lot like Android where everyone has their own unique flavor of a a Distro.

Us tech geeks have to adopt it first long before OEMs will touch it.

being incompatible with Windows software in the desktop space is a tough sell even when much of that software is malware.
Windows RT doesn't have the open source applications like Linux does. I would remove Windows RT for Linux cause I know there's going to be a lot more applications for it than Windows RT. Even still I can install Wine with QEMU and run x86 Windows apps.
I know you're no fan of Microsoft nor Windows but I think that you do get the importance of 3rd party support. If you have no need for the latest and greatest in desktop hardware and software nor support Linux will work perfectly. I know that it sounds snide but it is true.
It's super important to have 3rd party support, but that doesn't mean we should dump Linux and continue to use $100 Windows. Don't let your bias towards Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux skew your understanding that Windows is a monopoly. If Linux was a serious threat to Microsoft then you wouldn't get anymore Windows Me's, Vista's, and 8's. Any one of those OS's would have bankrupt a company, but not Microsoft. Windows 8 was a flop and yet computers came with it and people bought it. You have no choice.

Linux success is like which came first the chicken or the egg. Developers won't make applications for Linux unless more people use it. People won't use it cause applications don't exist. BTW, that's whats going on with Windows Phone right now.

I couldn't get mint to work right on my t420 since I had a msata boot drive and the storage drive. Some kinda glitch that was over my head but I liked the interface and had no trouble adapting to it. Was my first foray into Linux. I thought about just installing the Mint on the storage drive but didn't want to give up the speed. I really wanted it to work out for me.
When did you try Mint cause for the past year or two things got a lot better. It is evolving at neck breaking speeds.

Yea.... I like Mint Linux. But, for someone that doesn't like Windows 8, switching to a completely different OS would be my last option. Classic shell, or others, then drop to Windows 7. I'd say the same about going from Mac to Windows or Linux to Windows, just because they didn't like the interface... Because rather than replacing the interface, you're replacing everything. Don't like the carpet? Replace the carpet, not the house.
When you first used Windows 8 did you know how to shut it down? Did you have to Google it like how I did? Did I need to Google how to shut down Mint? Nope

Putting in Classic shell isn't just one minor fix for Windows 8. The whole point of installing Mint for someone like grandma and grandpa is because they're so stupid they keep installing malware and viruses. I've tried my best to keep these machines free from all that crap. Putting in the best anti-virus, firewall, and god knows what else software to keep it running like that. But in a few months they find a way to mess it all up. It wouldn't be so bad if the computer didn't run extremely slow. Anything you do takes minutes like opening up a web browser or file explorer. No idea why the machine slows down so damn much.

Put Linux and it's a breath of fresh air that stays fresh.

It's super important to have 3rd party support, but that doesn't mean we should dump Linux and continue to use $100 Windows. Don't let your bias towards Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux skew your understanding that Windows is a monopoly. If Linux was a serious threat to Microsoft then you wouldn't get anymore Windows Me's, Vista's, and 8's. Any one of those OS's would have bankrupt a company, but not Microsoft. Windows 8 was a flop and yet computers came with it and people bought it. You have no choice.

Who pays $100 a copy for Windows these days? A lot of people are getting Windows for free on tablets and lower end laptops and convertibles. Which is ironic because not too long ago Microsoft would probably have been facing some legal issues over free Windows due to its monopoly position on the desktop.

Linux success is like which came first the chicken or the egg. Developers won't make applications for Linux unless more people use it. People won't use it cause applications don't exist. BTW, that's whats going on with Windows Phone right now.

I completely agree and have long made the same comparison between desktop Linux and Windows Phone. It's difficult for anyone to compete effectively with a long entrenched competitor. Microsoft is on both sides of it.

Who pays $100 a copy for Windows these days? A lot of people are getting Windows for free on tablets and lower end laptops and convertibles. Which is ironic because not too long ago Microsoft would probably have been facing some legal issues over free Windows due to its monopoly position on the desktop.
Who cares about tablets? Microsoft has to give away a free copy to those devices because of Linux. Specifically Android. Then there's iOS which is essentially free as well. You don't pay Apple anything to upgrade to iOS 9.

But on big boy computers like large laptops and desktops it's only free when you buy a whole PC, and technically it's not free cause you're paying for it. Which doesn't matter cause it's still better and cheaper to build a desktop even with a $100 copy of Windows.

But sad truth is Microsoft doesn't have a toenails worth entry into the mobile market. Android and iOS dominate it. This is the whole reason why Windows 8 has a tablet UI, cause Microsoft was trying to get people used to it so much that all their devices would be Windows products. We are creatures of habit and that's what Microsoft was hoping to capitalize on. It works for Apple as a lot of people buy Apple products for familiarity.

All idiot Windows 8 supporters claiming that people can't accept change are blind to the fact that Windows 8 has a tablet UI that doesn't work better than the traditional UI. And it was done to get people to switch their tablets and smart phones over to Windows. Windows is not a monopoly in small portable devices. It's barely a minority. Soon you'll have Ubuntu and FireFoxOS to compete with.
I completely agree and have long made the same comparison between desktop Linux and Windows Phone. It's difficult for anyone to compete effectively with a long entrenched competitor. Microsoft is on both sides of it.
Microsoft can't even compete against itself. They want everyone to switch to Metro style applications and they couldn't. Windows is just too damn big to push people into that direction.

Who cares about tablets? Microsoft has to give away a free copy to those devices because of Linux. Specifically Android. Then there's iOS which is essentially free as well. You don't pay Apple anything to upgrade to iOS 9.

But on big boy computers like large laptops and desktops it's only free when you buy a whole PC, and technically it's not free cause you're paying for it. Which doesn't matter cause it's still better and cheaper to build a desktop even with a $100 copy of Windows.

The people that care about tablets are the ones that will never build a desktop, so something like 90%+ of Windows users.

But sad truth is Microsoft doesn't have a toenails worth entry into the mobile market. Android and iOS dominate it. This is the whole reason why Windows 8 has a tablet UI, cause Microsoft was trying to get people used to it so much that all their devices would be Windows products. We are creatures of habit and that's what Microsoft was hoping to capitalize on. It works for Apple as a lot of people buy Apple products for familiarity.

The thing about Windows tablets is that there are a lot that are pretty cheap and very flexible. I just got a Toshiba Encore 2 Write yesterday. Very much bottom line specs, 12800x800 10.1" IPS display, 2 GB RAM/64 GB eMMC storage. It's defining feature is a new Wacom pen tech that doesn't require a separate digitizer. So far I'm impressed, the pen works as well or better than the Surface Pro 3 for handwriting and the Encore 2 Write is only $400. Right now I have it connected to a 1080P monitor using on IE on that screen and installing software on the tablet screen. MS Office, LibreOffice, Abode Acrobat, all run well. It's not speed demon but these kinds of Windows devices are now doing a lot of things very well for not a lot of money.

Yes Microsoft was forced to give Windows away on these devices but that only made them more affordable for end users. Bad for Microsoft at least initially but good for consumers.

All idiot Windows 8 supporters claiming that people can't accept change are blind to the fact that Windows 8 has a tablet UI that doesn't work better than the traditional UI. And it was done to get people to switch their tablets and smart phones over to Windows.

That wasn't the main purpose. I think the reason for the Windows 8 UI was to support hybrid devices. And I say that because clearly the Surface was in mind when developing Windows 8. One device that can do the job of two. That's the point of Windows 8 and if Microsoft continues to develop and refine Windows to support hybrid operation it will become better. And there's no way that Apple and Google will just sit by while that happens.

Microsoft can't even compete against itself. They want everyone to switch to Metro style applications and they couldn't. Windows is just too damn big to push people into that direction.

Again, I just don't think that was the intent. Had that been the intent that why would the desktop have been there in the first place? Why would Microsoft developed a Surface RT and Pro devices that essentially were two different things? Windows 8 was being developed at a time that there was considerable doubt as to the viability of the desktop. It's easy to say "Well anyone with brains knows that the desktop isn't going anywhere." A lot of companies who didn't fear their mortality and simply stood pat are no longer around.

Windows 8 was a gamble that didn't do what it needed to do but also not a total loss. For whatever reason it's hard for some people to accept a mixed outcome. The truth tends to be in the middle. The execution of Windows 8 was poor but the idea was essentially correct.

Not Win 10 related but with all the Windows 8x talk...

Has anyone ever tried teaching Windows 8.1 to a 65 year old woman who was used to XP? HOLY $%@^^. I get calls every other day. A few more problems and I'm putting Linux Mint on it.

This makes me want to install it on my mom's computer. she's in her late 70s. I bet she'd nail it within 2 months, max. Yes she'd have questions, but she has questions about 7 and she had questions about vista AND XP.

Irrelevant question. If you need to run professional software such as OrCAD, Pro/Engineer, SolidWorks, Inventor, etc. you need Windows. Mac OS X is over glorified iOS for Facebook consumption.

I'm not Mac fan, but that's not true. Macs are a nice UI on top of *nix. I know plenty of developers that like them, because of how well it integrates in *nix environments (out of the box).

I suspect that won't help with any of the apps you're referring to, but it's not an iOS, unless iOS is actually based on OS X, which I don't believe is the case.

A certain major UK defence company only finally moved away from Windows NT in 2007. Windows 7 works just fine for an awful lot of people. Unless a business uses Windows mobile / tablet devices, there'll need to be a really compelling reason to move to Windows 10. And a corporate rollout of 10 in a large corporation is a huge logistical and technical exercise which will likely take a year or more anyway.

This is very true. Enterprises will stick with 7 until 2019 or 2020...and in some cases they may pay MS for patches and continue longer that that, but that has a lot to do with vertical apps. Some old apps won't work on newer versions of windows. I've had java apps that won't work with Java 7. Others only work with custom JDKs that are 10 years old. The amount of crappy software that companies have paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for is staggering.

Hell, I've run apps that wanted a specific . release of the JDK and/or JRE.

I couldn't get mint to work right on my t420 since I had a msata boot drive and the storage drive. Some kinda glitch that was over my head but I liked the interface and had no trouble adapting to it. Was my first foray into Linux. I thought about just installing the Mint on the storage drive but didn't want to give up the speed. I really wanted it to work out for me.

When did you try Mint cause for the past year or two things got a lot better. It is evolving at neck breaking speeds.

End of last year beginning of this year. Linux Mint 17.1

Feel free to have fun telling hundreds of clients/customers that because thats what I have to deal with on a regular basis. Users don't wanna farking change/relearn shit and if I can't get the support and money to get people to change on their work computer OS'es, I aint gonna farking do it.

I hear you man. I've still got customers who can't make the transition from DOS 3.11 to Windows 7 and now they want to push this 10 bullshit out.

Fuck MS and there change for change sake. BRING BACK DOS!

fuck all wrong with 8/8.1. Been using it since launch.
90% of all the haters couldn't afford it, that's the problem

Considering you could buy it for 20 bucks (off and on) for months, i think that's unlikely.

On the low end, it's true. When you get into the high end laptops, MACs become competitive. Also, if you're willing to go with an iMac, those are fairly competitive (though not as competitive as the original ones that 1440p screens. I think those were 1500 at the time. Now they're 1700 or 1800.

I'd actually get one if I could use the monitor without using the computer. At least then when I upgrade i don't have to toss out a perfectly good monitor.

I do not mind doing bug testing and it will help make the final product better. However, at least at home, it was to unstable to be of any real use. AMD VSR did not work, the facebook app would freeze, Internet Explorer would constantly crash and the start button does not always work. Also, I need the start screen for home so I can see what is going on with weather, email and facebook at a glance.

The desktop does not have the features and functions that the Start Screen does. The desktop is just a blank slate with no feedback.

I will just leave this here and /thread:

Yep, and I agree with you. When it comes to the customers I work with, whether on the phone, on site or in house, I agree with you. When it comes to some of the folks on here who spread FUD and misinformation intentionally, that is different. Since I love technology and trying out and experiencing all the operating systems, I get to help folks out with it and do what I love.

Some things are not for everyone though. For instance, there is a interface called i3 for Linux which works great for programmers. When I tried to use it, I was totally lost since it requires a lot of customizing to just be able to use it. However, I do not think it sucks, it crap, is garbage or anything else just because I am not the one who it is aimed at.

That is why, in my opinion, folks on this board who claim to be IT professionals should not be getting all bent out of shape about something they do not like. Instead, enjoy it for what it is and learn it. Remember, if you are in it because you love it, you will enjoy it. If you are in it just for a job, you might hate it and have no enjoyment out of it.

One can easily separate the smart posters from those that are... not so smart... the smart posters like a fella said in a different but related MS thread take the negative feedback and use it like manure to grow something better, the not so smart ones just try and mock it like if it was just useless shit, unwilling to recognize the importance of it.

Hopefully the MS ppl recognize how important the negative feedback actually is after the W8 blunder... and yes it was a blunder, sells schmells, actual market share is terrible for a MS OS and without it their "one ecosystem" vision might as well not exist.

On the low end, it's true. When you get into the high end laptops, MACs become competitive. Also, if you're willing to go with an iMac, those are fairly competitive (though not as competitive as the original ones that 1440p screens. I think those were 1500 at the time. Now they're 1700 or 1800.

I'd actually get one if I could use the monitor without using the computer. At least then when I upgrade i don't have to toss out a perfectly good monitor.
By all means, give an example of a Mac where you can't get better specs for the same money on the PC.

From sounds of it Windows 10 will be super cloud based.

I really want this cloud stuff to fail but the general public seems to embrace it because in general it's fool proof and it works, and most people don't care about privacy or security. I think it will do fine as long as it defaults to having a fairly traditional UI and none of this tablet optimized bull crap thrown at you.

I hate the idea of my computer being tied to the internet, such as having to use an internet based (ex: Live ID) account. My computer is on my own network and I want it to be only on my own network.

All this crap is also one of the reasons I switched to Linux. Linux has it's flaws too, and honestly I sometimes think of just going back to Windows. But then I think of the crap I'd have to deal with in Windows world too and it reminds me why I switched. Currently playing with Mint 17.1 and liking it so far. My main system is Kubuntu 12.10 but that will be end of life soon.... that is one downside of Linux though, end of life, is end of life. They pull off all the repos, no more updates, not even ability to install older apps. You're cut off. Microsoft always pushes back end of life. They did it with XP a million times. They'll probably do it with 7.

Heck my company is currently working on migrating to 7. It's been going on for about a year now. It's a lot of work to migrate to a new OS and takes lot of planing and testing and often rewriting or reengineering stuff.

@Arct1c0n

Yeah cause Windows 8 was such a hit, the Xbox One was such a success, the Windows phone is just soooo popular. All of a sudden people really expect Windows 10 to be all that? People can't change who they are.

IMO, anything that removes the Metro integration into Windows 8 gets my vote. 7 will become the staple like XP has, while 8 will be forgotten like Vista was. IMO 10 should be good, and what 8 should have been from the start.

The only way I see MS fucking up the launch is to introduce a subscription based OS, which IMO is downright stupid. Its one thing to do that to the MO Suite, but not to an OS.

@Arct1c0n

Yeah cause Windows 8 was such a hit, the Xbox One was such a success, the Windows phone is just soooo popular. All of a sudden people really expect Windows 10 to be all that? People can't change who they are.

You act as though Windows 8 is the first unpopular release of Windows and that there's never hit Windows releases. The history of how this works would favor Windows 10 being a hit because the prior version 8 wasn't.

If you don't like win 10 and you currently have win 7 you will be pretty much forced to upgrade to windows 10 anyway because microsoft will probably make windows 7 obsolete by not allowing important features to work such as USB2 on skylake and DX12.

yea exactly, i remember running XP and many new games were coming out that were DX10 that I couldn't play without W7 so that forced me to upgrade.. although i'm sure that segment buying W10 just for gaming will be small..

The fact that Windows 7 is no longer supported which is a 2009 release might prompt people to pick up Windows 10....

I won't unless I get it cheap and she hits good....

The fact that Windows 7 is no longer supported which is a 2009 release might prompt people to pick up Windows 10....

I won't unless I get it cheap and she hits good....

Windows 7 is supported for about ~5 more years where it counts. They won't be adding new features anymore but you still get security updates. Which is pretty much all we got during "full" support anyway.

[big rant]
Windows 8 "was a flop" because the users have no F*ing clue. and decided they hated it often before they even saw it! ~80% of the people I know had a option on it without any first hand experience. They where TOLD by "friends" and the media to hate it, saw it was different and stopped there.
So this is for all you haters out there that have no real good reason to hate win 8.

Windows 8 is windows 7 with some under the hood enhancements (ie faster), Some minor but welcome features (like copy cue/pause), and a new login/app/start button geared toward tablets.
Now it is that last part that has people freaked out. Apps on my desktop OMGz, changed start menu now I can't do anything?!?!?

Now since most operating systems are rather bare bones out of the package, most people DL or buy programs to enhance the OS and more importantly run on it for a specific use.
So, something not working they way you want it? well there is probably a workaround, setting or program that will change it. So . . your first step ?

Is to just change a few setting and or download one of 100s of free and cheap programs that all in one, drop you onto the desktop after login and change the start menu to ANYTHING you want!! plus more . . you want a win 95, vista, 7 you got it and much more configurable. (all my windows 7 systems also use a simple free program for the flexibility and configurability.)

All for the cheap cheap price of a single Google "win 8 start button" and download. :confused: The hardest part is deciding one one to use.
www.classicshell.net has one that is free and easy to install and use. Will work for win xp to 10 and allows flexibility and configurability to the start menu. and existed before win 8 . . and There are others lots of others.
was this hard? was this unreasonable?

So get the hate on! Be ignorant, display your cluelessness, show how you are such a newbie that you can't even Google. demonstrate you laziness on you inability to lift a finger IF you decide the default settings are not to your liking. you have options choosing not to use them it your fault. (the argument is needs to be perfect out of the box is . . childish)

I personally do not like the tablet UI elements for desktops, I thought it was a poor UI change and MS trying to strong arm it lame. So I changed it, end of story. Some like it, and keep it good for them also - that is fine also. So the only issue is/was being able to change it and you where able to from day one 3rd partly and now some what natively with 8.1.

It is a operating system! you want it to run your programs. It is a vehicle to get you there. Most OSs interfaces are different and will/have changed over time. Chances the default settings will not be to your liking and you may have to relearn some actions. But to HATE a entire operating system for ONLY a UI element that can be partially or totally bypassed in the span on minuets is a special level of ignorance. :mad:

[/rant sort of satisfied]

^ TL;DR complains people didnt like forced metro UI in Win8 and that it was the meeeeedia that told them how to feel about it. Admits he didnt like forced Metro in Win8.

SMFH. Newsflash: the average person picking up a PC or laptop at bestbuy or other retailer doesnt know WTF a start menu replacement is or how to install one. In anybcase, cry all you want about media this or word of mouth that, the Win8 war is already over and decided.

[big rant]

It is a operating system! you want it to run your programs. It is a vehicle to get you there. Most OSs interfaces are different and will/have changed over time. Chances the default settings will not be to your liking and you may have to relearn some actions. But to HATE a entire operating system for ONLY a UI element that can be partially or totally bypassed in the span on minuets is a special level of ignorance. :mad:

That is a much more insane level of hate, that you are laying on the people who don't like an OS, than those hating the OS, even if everything you said is true.

How does other peoples mere opinion of an OS, work you into such a ranting fit.

a) Mediocre OS = actual aggravation when using your computer.
b) Other Peoples opinion of OS, does not actually impact using your computer at all. Zero, zilch, nada.

Some people getting upset about a) is reasonable, getting upset about b) is not.

That is a much more insane level of hate, that you are laying on the people who don't like an OS, than those hating the OS, even if everything you said is true.

How does other peoples mere opinion of an OS, work you into such a ranting fit.

a) Mediocre OS = actual aggravation when using your computer.
b) Other Peoples opinion of OS, does not actually impact using your computer at all. Zero, zilch, nada.

Some people getting upset about a) is reasonable, getting upset about b) is not.

Having to help and support, people that
#1 want to use a tool that they are unwilling to learn the first thing about is a special level of hell. (and a better reason some hate then ignorance )
#2 people that have no first hand experience that have a option and hate of the OS. have no basis and right to have a option that holds any weight, yet it got viral thus became the defacto "truth" regardless of truth.

Some of these people (like above) have a unreasonable level of hate over something so trivial and will fight and argue over it (holding up mirror) I still ask "truly how is this a OS problem that effects you and stops you from using it and the programs you need to use?" All I get is a mumble and a "I just do not like it", "don't want to change", "can't be bothered to change it", er never really used it" These are there responses not mine. IF someone said this about any other product you would be WTF person what its wrong with you??

People can dislike a OS for something really wrong with it or can not effect. (there is a good list I have for instance) but this metro issue is trivial. Thus a completely uninformed and trite reason for the level of dislike.
Now you may not have reason to care about other peoples options on it but when you have to deal with people - it sucks.
"Newsflash: the average person picking up a PC or laptop at bestbuy or other retailer doesnt know WTF a start menu replacement is or how to install one. In anycase, cry all you want about media this or word of mouth that, the Win8 war is already over and decided.".
WTF is wrong with you? I do not have any stake in win8 (doing good or bad) other then having to work with the same "Average" users (idiots) that are like I said above are unwilling to learn how to use the tool they want to use. IF goggle a problem is "too much" for a user or they can't install a program? they really need to through it out the F@#$@ window or learn how it works. because the computer is not very useful otherwise.
it is the asinine REASON people are hating it what is crazy. Not using Metro does not effect use of the OS.

Having to help and support, people that
#2 people that have no first hand experience that have a option and hate of the OS. have no basis and right to have a option that holds any weight, yet it got viral thus became the defacto "truth" regardless of truth.

#2 doesn't even make sense. You obviously don't have to support them, if they aren't using it. :rolleyes:

[big rant]
Windows 8 "was a flop" because the users have no F*ing clue. and decided they hated it often before they even saw it! ~80% of the people I know had a option on it without any first hand experience. They where TOLD by "friends" and the media to hate it, saw it was different and stopped there.
So this is for all you haters out there that have no real good reason to hate win 8.
#1 Costs $100 for no improvement
#2 Metro UI terrible for mouse keyboard
#3 Start button is missing
#4 8.1 brought back start button that isn't a start button.

pennyarcadewindows8ui.jpg

Windows 8 is windows 7 with some under the hood enhancements (ie faster), Some minor but welcome features (like copy cue/pause), and a new login/app/start button geared toward tablets.
You said the magic word! It's all shit for a tablet. Desktop users have no need or want for it.

56974253.jpg

So get the hate on! Be ignorant, display your cluelessness, show how you are such a newbie that you can't even Google. demonstrate you laziness on you inability to lift a finger IF you decide the default settings are not to your liking. you have options choosing not to use them it your fault. (the argument is needs to be perfect out of the box is . . childish)
I'm so ignorant and lazy that I went out and learned Linux and installed Mint as my daily OS for my laptop. I'm also trying to install Ubuntu Mate on a 2002 PowerBook G4. Too damn lazy to figure out how to get the Radeon 9600 graphics working. Any Windows 8 users have any idea? I heard you're not lazy.

What you fail to understand is that adding a start button or whatever is a HACK. Not intended by Microsoft. Anything I want changed to that extent is risking breaking the OS, especially when there's a major update. You also seem to ignore the fact that you're paying for a piece of software that you need to work around to get it the way you want. No benchmark shows any real improvements with Windows 8 over 7. You have to deal with incompatibility headaches with software and hardware drivers that comes with installing a new Windows OS.

What tangible reason is there to buy Windows 8?

#1 Costs $100 for no improvement

This simply isn't the vast for the vast majority of Windows user, whatever version.

#2 Metro UI terrible for mouse keyboard

Very subjective and keyboard and mouse usability has improved substantially with 8.1 Update.

#3 Start button is missing
#4 8.1 brought back start button that isn't a start button.

What tangible reason is there to buy Windows 8?

Again, the vast majority of consumers never buy Windows directly, they get Windows with the hardware. I've never denied that there are issues with Windows 8 for traditional keyboard and mouse users. I think most people that like Windows 8 are aware of the issues. But I think they've been way overblown and as some issues have been resolved, people keep making the point about the issues in 8.0 RTM.

I think it's clear that Microsoft didn't execute well for desktop users and put too much emphasis on the touch and tablet stuff. But those features for touch and tablet users are still critical. Windows 8 works best on hybrid devices like the Surface Pro 3, or tablets that can be used in a hybrid fashion.

Hybrid and tablet Windows devices are nothing new. However Microsoft has never really done a lot to specifically support these kinds of devices. Windows 7 is a fine desktop OS with a keyboard and mouse. But I don't see how using Windows 7 would make something like a Surface Pro 3 a better device.

Windows 10 needs to do it all. It needs to work well across the board from traditional desktops to tablets and hybrids. I think it's more than doable. There still will be plenty of folks that won't like the hybrid nature of 10 but it's just possible for Windows to be only a desktop OS anymore.

Back