What if Win 7 does not format in 3 GPT partition?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...e-firmware-interface-install-windows-7-a.html

from the link, after I wipe all the drives from a win 8, UFEI setting, and ends up w/ a blank drive. It says on step 8 that

You will notice that the disk has now been formatted as GPT with 3 partitions. Select the "Primary" partition 3, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

but all I get is Disk 0 Partition 1

needless to say, win 7 won't install, as it needs the Disk 0 partition 1, (system) or the MSR (reserved)

but how do you do that? Please help

That link is *way* too complicated.

To do UEFI Windows 7, you need:

- UEFI boot capability in hardware, obviously
- Win7 media that can boot in UEFI mode - DVD or USB formatted with FAT32/bootsect to make it active
- blank drive. Blank. Not partitions made ahead of time. Blank.
- Boot Win7 media in UEFI mode as per your BIOS directions
- Select blank disk -> click NEXT
- Let Windows make the partitions
- Your friend is now further controlled by you and your desires rather than their own. What a nice friend.

I did all of the above, it doesn't work at the first few try, but it works in the end, here's the story and I don't have any explanations.

The PC is an "all in 1" toshiba desktop w/ win 8. So I go to the BIOS, change Secure mode to non-secure, then change Boot mode to CSM boot.

Then win 7 DVD boots up, and I remove all those partitions.

Then it says "Drive 0 unallocated space 750 GB"

I click NEW, apply, full size of the disk, and I DO NOT see 2 partitions. It only forms 1 partition.

Now, when I install win 7 on any new PC, it usually creates 2 partitions.

Then win 7 simply said something like it won't install on that 1 single partition

I try the above a few times, then I try this guy Harltron's long and painful steps

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/260850-setup-unable-create-new-system-partition.html

in the end, same thing

So I gave up, disconnect the power cord to the PC, and was about to call it a day.

15 min. later, I want to write down the exact error mesg., so I plug the power cord back to the PC, go thru the steps you mention, i.e., Unallocated space, New Apply (entire disk)

this time, just like the other times, it only creates 1 single Disk 0 Partition of 750GB, but when I click NEXT, shockingly, win 7 says "Installing windows....copying files"

So,

1) I can't explain why win 7 did not create 2 partition, I thought win 7 has to create a small partition called "System" of about 128 MB, and the remaining in Primary, in order for win 7 to install

2) why is it that by unplug the power cord for 15 min., the above works?

2)

I try

I never said to create any partitions. I explicitly said CLICK NEXT.

*you* don't create any partitions. You remove all partitions and click NEXT. Not NEW. NEW is not NEXT. NEXT is NEXT. Windows creates whatever partitions it needs.

I hope your friend enjoys their 2009 computing experience with stellar technical support.

Back