What if 1080Ti never arrives?

I wonder why Nvidia has no roadmap after Volta. It's not like it will take a long time until 2018, or even 2020. Either something good is coming after or they have no clue how to proceed since it will probably be very hard to shrink the node even more.
I think AMD Navi will combat Volta, even though it's comig in 2018/2019, but after that, they have no roadmap either. The next few years will be exciting. But in my case, I think I'll get myself at least one big Volta and just wait until they perfect whatever comes next.

If that's the case, poor AMD. Its going to be worse than Polaris vs Pascal.

It might not go down so well but who knows, can never dismiss AMD. I don't see Navi and nexgen SSG before mid-late 2018. Not cheap to make or push ecosystem. I'd expect Volta late 2017 if they had '10nm' test chips in Aug. AMD has been a little behind lately.

It might not go down so well but who knows, can never dismiss AMD. I don't see Navi and nexgen SSG before mid-late 2018. Not cheap to make or push ecosystem. I'd expect Volta late 2017 if they had '10nm' test chips in Aug. AMD has been a little behind lately.

A little? Its a rerun of the CPU part. Unless AMD increases its R&D tremendously for GPUs, then they are forever behind and will fall further behind. And at this point is several years behind Nvidia and not spending the R&D needed to even keep status quo. The R&D cuts around 2012 really shows hard today and its a downhill run still.

I dont see SSG going anywhere, its nothing but another silly R&D waste in my eyes.

Look the situation now. GP100 with and without NVLink, Now GP102, GP104 and GP106 launched. Not to mention the performance metrics. We most likely get a 1080Ti and a new Titan around the holidays, all based on GP102. 12 and 24GB I guess.

I wonder why Nvidia has no roadmap after Volta. It's not like it will take a long time until 2018, or even 2020. Either something good is coming after or they have no clue how to proceed since it will probably be very hard to shrink the node even more.
I think AMD Navi will combat Volta, even though it's comig in 2018/2019, but after that, they have no roadmap either. The next few years will be exciting. But in my case, I think I'll get myself at least one big Volta and just wait until they perfect whatever comes next.

There are roadmaps. Just because you dont see it in public doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Its about equal to claim Intel got nothing after Skylake-EP and Kaby Lake clients ;)

Seems Volta is a big uarch change. Then we will get a post Volta optimized type on 10nm. Then followed by a new uarch on 10nm.

They're not several years behind in DX12, even some of their old cards are competitive vs Nvidias latest. Looking forward things are interesting with new APIs. AMD has a different strategy long term than Nvidia, don't write them off. DX11 is on the way out.

SSG practically eliminates texture streaming on the pci bus... wonder what that does for mgpu latencies. Plus having hugely varied or generated textures locally stored and changes can be made permanent etc... this makes whole new games and programming approaches possible. Multiple 4k streams, 8k editing realtime. So many things can come from it. Oil and Gas, Military Satellite imaging etc will love it so it'll stick around and have money thrown at it, which will trickle down.

SSG is slower than the PCIe bus isn't it. Because it only sits on an M.2 slot that is at best PCIe x4 3.0. Its a gimmick. Also there is NVLink. But its the wrong thread for this.

And the DX12 excuse is getting boring like Async (That isn't part of DX12) was before it got debunked. Try non sponsored games. And who knows how BF1 will turn out ;)

A 1080TI is simply performance only Volta can reach in 2017 and perhaps longer.

Last edited:
An observant poster made a point over in the Titan X thread that nvidia are clearly not aiming the new Titan X at gamers this time around. And I don't think that's merely a reaction to some of the flak they received when they first 'accidentally' marketed a Titan at gamers.

It's an "Nvidia Titan X", not "Geforce Titan X". So that suggests nvidia are still expecting to fill in the space above the 1080 in the gaming market, where the Titan X technically doesn't, as it's for HPC.

The only question is whether it'll appear this year or next, and that depends solely on when AMD's Vega arrives.

So if you care about a 1080ti, all the news you need follow is Vega... ;)

Q=What if 1080Ti never arrives?
A=One theory is that life will cease because the Earth explodes, or (less likely) they will release a card with greater horsepower than the current 1080 and call it whatever they like in the future. Since we are only in the infancy of this generation, hoping Nvidia will release their mainstream flagship GPU revision so soon after the original version mainstream flagship GPU is dropped might be a little overly optimistic and greatly unrealistic. We don't even know if Nvidia will release a big silicon variant, with the current market being what it is (AMD not even trying to compete in the high end market) why should they?

An observant poster made a point over in the Titan X thread that nvidia are clearly not aiming the new Titan X at gamers this time around. And I don't think that's merely a reaction to some of the flak they received when they first 'accidentally' marketed a Titan at gamers.

It's an "Nvidia Titan X", not "Geforce Titan X". So that suggests nvidia are still expecting to fill in the space above the 1080 in the gaming market, where the Titan X technically doesn't, as it's for HPC.

The only question is whether it'll appear this year or next, and that depends solely on when AMD's Vega arrives.

So if you care about a 1080ti, all the news you need follow is Vega... ;)

OP here, I suspect you are onto something. So then, 1080Ti would still eventually show up this generation. When I made the first post, I didn't expect such a "bland" Titan (not fp64 monster, not full chip) to get priced at $1200 just two days later.

Disclaimer:
I'm buying 2 X Titan X(P)s on August 2nd assuming by the time I get to a PC, the nvidia store still has them in stock.

But the rational side of me has to admit that the 2 X Titan X(Normal)s that I'm running now play just about every game out there at close to 100 FPS at 3440 X 1440. (Running an Acer x34).

Id also be inclined to say they would run most games at full 4K at 60 FPS if I were to "downgrade" to that (I prefer the extra 40 hz I get now over full 4K for gaming purposes).

So unless 4K 120 hz and or 3440 X 1440 @120-144hz monitors coming out during the lifespan of the Titan X(P), I reluctantly admit it's mostly for people who have too much cash and not enough mortgage or car payments.

OP here, I suspect you are onto something. So then, 1080Ti would still eventually show up this generation. When I made the first post, I didn't expect such a "bland" Titan (not fp64 monster, not full chip) to get priced at $1200 just two days later.

Yeah, if you recall, the 980ti only came out as an overreaction by Nvidia to the impending release of AMD's Fiji chips. They wanted to beat AMD to the punch early, and early rumors of Fiji's performance overestimated it by far, so they released a 980ti that performed higher, and was cheaper than it needed to be.

I wouldn't expect them to make that mistake again.

There might be a 1080ti at some point, but its probably several months away, and will be dependent on how AMD does with their upcoming higher end GPU's. If AMD doesn't deliver anything that can match or beat the current 1080, I wouldn't expect much if anything from a 1080ti.

if and when 1080Ti come out, there will be in high demand and short supply, so by the time you get it, 1180's will be ready to be released.

Man, I don't want a 1080 Ti anymore. I just got 1080s and it will be a bitch to sell them at 450 a pop if the 1080 Ti drops at 699 or some such.

Gpus are more efficient at math than a cpu. They are supercomputers as nvidia likes to refer to them. Think about it, the people who make super computers clearly both have secret ultra super computers (supercomputers in SLI/CF). These ultra super computers are of course the fastest in the world.

The nvidia and amd utlra supercomputers have both predicted the end of the world in 2020. This is why you see nothing after 2019 on the roadmap!

This..I had a "conversation" with that dude on Youtube...right before Pascal and Polaris launched.
He was wrong, I was right...I get a bad taste in my mouth when people try and use his videos as an argument for anything else than his ignorance...
I wouldn't dwell too much on it, his channel tanked in the wake of Polaris. I still remind people to go back and watch his AMD Master Plan videos from ~6 mos ago and see how they compare to reality today. He got an easy AMD sponsorship out of it though.

Kinda surprised to see his videos linked in here. Looking at his channel now it seems he's spent the last month or so hyping Zen and FreeSync, reviewing AMD GPUs, and the obligatory shitting on Nvidia. Looks like every other generic #RedTeamPlus YouTube channel... Quality stuff.

I saw the thread got bumped and hoped there was news about the 1080 Ti...

Last edited:
Most likely because most people on this forum consider that site a clickbait trash site (like me)...
Not to mention that site brings my PC to a screeching halt if I wasn't running NoScript.

4 more months huh..

I guess I'm returning the 1080 I just bought; what a shame. Was nice to finally get off SLI and not have my PC be a furnace.

It would be a shame to make real decisions based off of unsubstantiated rumors that may just be made up
Well I went from SLI'd 780's to it and basically paid $630 to get off SLI for next to no performance improvements in well scaled games. (or negative performance in benchmarks)

I did some lazy benching here:
Yes it produces far less heat, noise and consumes less power, but that's a lot of money for a 0-5% FPS increase.

We went this long without the Ti, so I expected it would either be 6+ months out or not coming at all.

And seeing as how the 'news' just broke and NVIDIA will be at CES, I'd take this as confirmation it's being announced then.

Maybe I'll play through the games I was avoiding due to low performance then look to returning the card before my 30 days are up.. Should have more info by then.

Well I went from SLI'd 780's to it and basically paid $630 to get off SLI for next to no performance improvements in well scaled games. (or negative performance in benchmarks)

I did some lazy benching here:
Yes it produces far less heat, noise and consumes less power, but that's a lot of money for a 0-5% FPS increase.

We went this long without the Ti, so I expected it would either be 6+ months out or not coming at all.

And seeing as how the 'news' just broke and NVIDIA will be at CES, I'd take this as confirmation it's being announced then.

Maybe I'll play through the games I was avoiding due to low performance then look to returning the card before my 30 days are up.. Should have more info by then.

I just spent similar money on a similar transition, dual 980ti's to single Pascal Titan X. The Titan X cost me ~$600 more than I could sell my 980ti's for, and the increase in raw performance is marginal, but the lack of stutter and compatibility issues from SLI is fantastic!

I mean even the 1080s first started getting in stock just recently which have been sold out for a few months.
Basically Nvidia hasn't profited enough off those cards first.

I mean even the 1080s first started getting in stock just recently which have been sold out for a few months.
Basically Nvidia hasn't profited enough off those cards first.

Pretty much; I mean, it's not like AMD is currently a threat to NVIDIA at GTX 1070 or better levels of performance. If Vega 10 slides in between GTX 1080 and Pascal Titan X levels of performance, though (and is priced aggressively), then things will get interesting.

Back