What I didn't want to happen... happened.

baja150

n00b
Just received my two ViewSonic VP912B LCD's and I'm not all that happy.

I have four complaints.

1) Each has a visible and annoying dead pixel.

2) Both are adjusted identical, but the white's are obviously different. Even my fiance who doesn't notice that type of thing asked me why they were different colors.

3) Gaming is OK for the most part, but every once in a while they will freeze for a split second.

4) Backlight bleeding... pretty bad on the top.

Any ideas or suggestions for any of these problems? I'm leaving on my honeymoon on Monday morning so if they're going back I need to do it fairly quick. I ordered them from zipzoomfly, so if they have any other LCD's that you think would be better to replace these with please let me know. I'm thinking about maybe just returning them and eating the 15% restocking fee.

That's funny, my VP912B had the same backlight problem right at the top middle of the screen. You could see there was a really bright white light source behind there.
Mine had a stuck blue pixel, you could barely see it and only on a dark background.
I don't think I could tolerate a bad pixel that I could see all the time though.
I also don't remember any gaming problems other than the blinding whites. Screen pausing would probably be the video card/computer and not the monitor.
Hard to comment on the different whites since I only had one monitor.

I sent it back to Dell because the thing was way too bright, it was killing my eyes. Adjusting the brightness down killed all the colors. Not to mention the terrible dot pitch, I could easily see the space between the pixels. Drove me nuts. Good thing they don't have a restocking fee.
Also, I won't buy from ZipZoomFly anymore because of their return policy, I got burned by that once with some bad memory.

For $35 more ($501 compared to $469), I bought a Dell 2005FPW and I'm absolutely astounded by the quality of the picture. No bad/stuck pixels, no backlighting, true 8 bit per pixel color, same speed as the Viewsonic. Even at 75% brightness it's comfortable on my eyes and I keep this baby two feet in front of my face.

Good luck with your marriage. You have other things to worry about.
Mwahaha!

Cygnus_X1 said:
Good luck with your marriage. You have other things to worry about.
Mwahaha!

Very funny! Haha.

Well I solved the pausing in games and I can handle the backlight bleeding because I hardly can notice it unless I look.

BUT, I can't stand to look at that bright green pixel for another second and having these monitors side by side on my desk isn't going to work with them displaying different color whites.

I know I should have read the ZZF return policy first, but it appears there's no charge to exchange and it doesn't look like they have a minimum dead pixel #. I would be happy if I could get two without dead pixels and the same color display.

BTW... the one monitors green pixel isn't too bad. It doesn't actually bother me, but the other one is BRIGHT!!!

i don't know who zzf are, but i usually do is call, and ask for a replacement and describe to them what is going on .. usually even the worst customer support will exchange something for you as long as you get something priced equally, or a little bit more than what you have ...

i hope it works ,,,,

ZZF= Zip Zoom Fly.

Im suprised. I have the VP-912B that I bought in October (When they were$700 :( )
No dead pixels, Great gaming, however I do have a slight light leak on the bottom of the screen.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure no two monitors are exactly the same, and you can't necessarily adjust them to the same color settings and expect the colors to look identical. That's why each monitor is set differently coming out of the factory. I had two 20" LCD's from dell, and fiddled with them for hours trying to get them to look the same (It didn't help that one was on DVI and the other was on VGA).

First pick one screen which has the best/true color, and then adjust the other to match.

I think when you have a super bright green pixel stuck on that it indicates the entire pixel is dead and not just one of the sub-pixels (3 sub-pixels = 1 pixel). I think it depends on the screen type TN, IPS, PVA, etc, but normally a superbright green pixel means it's dead.

Viewsonic has a zero dead pixel policy, although they require 7 stuck/dead sub-pixels on a 19" LCD. If ZZF won't do a swap, and that is in fact a dead pixel, I'd call Viewsonic directly and see what they can do for you.

their might be a difference in brightness and colors becasue one of them is vga, and the other is DVI, switch and see if it changes ......

latief75 said:
their might be a difference in brightness and colors becasue one of them is vga, and the other is DVI, switch and see if it changes ......
Definately true. I tried my VP201b on VGA and DVI and the DVI has noticably different color and brightness. (and in my opinion looks better)

Astral Abyss said:
Definately true. I tried my VP201b on VGA and DVI and the DVI has noticably different color and brightness. (and in my opinion looks better)

That isn't just your opinion, I have seen big LCD's run off analog on a couple computers, (G5 with 9800Pro, A64 with 6800GT etc) and they always look fuzzy compared to DVI. Plus with DVI, calibration is much easier.

I have them both hooked up to DVI.

Is there any way to tell if's a full pixel or sub-pixel?

Astral Abyss said:
If it's a full pixel it should show up on any color background.
Not black. If the pixel is completely out and not lit one color or another it won't show up on black because it's completely dead.

almostinsane1 said:
Alright smart ass. How do you create the color black w/ light? Black isn't a color.
Drop the attitude, I didn't give you one to begin with (if you're referring to me) so if you think that then it's you taking my post the wrong way.

w/regard to your question I misunderstood and you're right: a completely dead pixel will show up on any solid background other than black (which is the absence of color, technically).

It is easier to find such a pixel against a bright background like white, however, than a dark green background. That much is probably worth noting.

Back