What I broke in my AIW 9800?

bad step

n00b
In a really stupid movement I manage to break some component of my AIW 9800 card. It jus stuck with a near heatsink when I was pluging it in.
It seem to be a little inductance:

(The pictures are not of my card, but of a good one)

break.jpg

break1.jpg

Now it have no head!!! and the circuit seem to be open there. Replace the bit there seem imposible (I actually needed a microscope to see the tip of the wire)
The card work fine (what I tested 2d, some 3d, desktop tv, tv record. Not tested vid in, vid out etc. It scared me).

Must I spect a fail in the future due this problem?
May be there is something break I just don't try yet?

My main concern is avoid kill my card using a feature that may overload something and burn it (or something like this). I need just clues of what must avoid (if something) or take care.

Since it's an inductance, may be a short circuit is better than an open one in it's place (?!)
ANY clue is welcome. If you need more information please ask.

Originally posted by bad step
In a really stupid movement I manage to break some component of my AIW 9800 card. It jus stuck with a near heatsink when I was pluging it in.
It seem to be a little inductance:

(The pictures are not of my card, but of a good one)

break.jpg

break1.jpg

Now it have no head!!! and the circuit seem to be open there. Replace the bit there seem imposible (I actually needed a microscope to see the tip of the wire)
The card work fine (what I tested 2d, some 3d, desktop tv, tv record. Not tested vid in, vid out etc. It scared me).

Must I spect a fail in the future due this problem?
May be there is something break I just don't try yet?

My main concern is avoid kill my card using a feature that may overload something and burn it (or something like this). I need just clues of what must avoid (if something) or take care.

Since it's an inductance, may be a short circuit is better than an open one in it's place (?!)
ANY clue is welcome. If you need more information please ask.

i did this once to a motherboard, by the slip of a screwdriver...scared the hell out of me...

it was by the case cables where the power buttons and stuff go, i chipped something similar to it though, exposing something white (silicon maybe? :confused: hell if i know) and the only thing i noticed that was different was the hdd led didnt work, so maybe its something little that failed, like something you might not use, but i dont know what thats for and i dont know what you use, so.... i would look further into it

i did this once to a motherboard, by the slip of a screwdriver...scared the hell out of me...

When I saw the little bit, was in the edge of a panic attack ... was like :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :( ... It seem that the more carefull you are, the more problems you have.

but i dont know what thats for and i dont know what you use

At least can answer the second. I mainly use the card for games and TV record. Also use Tv out for DVD play and video in for VHS to CD (or DVD in the near future) conversion but not so often.

Any suggestions?

I bumped the usb daughtercard on my xbox and one of those little inductors fell off. Controller port 4 stopped working because of it. It is just a black ceramic piece with a coil of copper wire under it. Anyways, all an inductor does is clean up the signal a little bit, no big deal. Most of the time the small surface mount ones aren't even needed. To fix my xbox all I did was replace the inductor with a solder dot reconnecting the 2 terminals and everything started working again.

That is the kind of info I was looking for. About what a little inductor can be doing in that place.
I'm not shure, then I ask, but think that it must be a filter like CyberCRAP said. Also that if you can't replace it, the best is shortcut the terminals as it never exist (better than let it open) , but again, NOT SHURE.

Back