What HD for raid 10 in server

Duster

Supreme [H]ardness
I am looking for hard drive for Raid 10, I don't really need space looking for a total of around 250GB. I was looking at these Seagate Cheetah SAS drives, but don't know much about them. But unsure if if that price point I should just get SSD drives

Any input?

thanks

SSD are for environments that need speed above all else at any price. Enterprise environments should use SLC which will be 4 times the cost of that Cheetah drive. Without knowing the exact workload 4 drives in Raid 10 using Cheetahs is going to be pretty fast. That setup is typically used for databases.

SSD are for environments that need speed above all else at any price. Enterprise environments should use SLC which will be 4 times the cost of that Cheetah drive. Without knowing the exact workload 4 drives in Raid 10 using Cheetahs is going to be pretty fast. That setup is typically used for databases.

This is being used for a progress database, for about 10 users.

I'd say it depends what you plan to do with the data.
Those drives are insanely fast for what they are (spinners) but they still are no SSD.

Enterprise level SSD = $$$ but if you backup the data I don't see a issue using high-end consumer SSD if this isn't going in a live / accessed often system.

I have some Intel 510s I`m using for MySQL in RAID0 as a test platform, and backing up data elsewhere. I am testing various SSD I have for performance in mysql for now, and then plan to deploy RAID10 or RAID0 of the selected drives for research / in-house usage where there won't be tons of users accessing daily.

http://www.amazon.com/HP-146GB-inch...ie=UTF8&qid=1354117079&sr=8-2&keywords=hp+sas

I always wondered why these 10krpm SAS drives were so cheap... they may work good for you if you learn more about them, i`m not sure on reliability.... but 4 for ~200$ would be nice :D

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back