What haswell motherboard are you getting?

I am finally retiring my OC'ed Q6700 + Maximus Formula and getting a i7-4770K + ROG Gene and a Swiftech H220 watercooling kit. I already have the chip and the board is shipping today from Directron.

I will get the Asus Z87 Gryphon for my new HTCP.
I just cannot get tired of the armor kit! :D

Decided to get the Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 over the Asus Max VI Extreme. Gigabyte has really included a LOT of nice features in this board. Every review that I have seen says it is a home run board plus it is an excellent overclocker.

Supermicro X10SLM+-LN4F E3-1245V3
It's going to run ESXi , since it has 4x Gb Ethernet ports

Same plans here... I assume it is possible to individually passthrough each of the 4x Gb Ethernet ports to different vms?

Well I'm in.

Just ordered the Gigabyte Z87X-OC.

Choosing a Z87 MB was a hard choice for me because of the pricing and the many features and lack luster over clocking ability of HW with ambient temp cooling that I have seen so far.

I narrowed down my top 3 choices for my budget to the Asus ROG VI Hero, MSI Z87 Mpower Max and the Z87X-OC won.... My head is hurting and I'm not sure I made the right choice.

I not only enjoy ambient temp over clocking but I also enjoy gaming. I have an external headphone amp for audio and I prefer hard wired connection for NIC.

Haven't ordered HW cpu yet and I'm still not sure if I will get a 4670k or a 4770k. I plan on delidding.

Buying into this chipset and Haswell doesn't make alot of sense to me since I have a nice 5GHZ 3770k gaming RIG. Mainly did this for the challenge of over clocking HW and tweaking fun. Hope I made the right choice.

I also went with Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC. I have used Abit and Asus before and this will be my first experience with Gigabyte.

I'm not an overclocker since I value absolute stability but will probably test overclocking a while on this new system just for the fun. :D

The Hero seems like one of the best values indeed. I'm currently leaning more towards the MSI Gaming Z87-G45 because it is has less features I don't need and is about 50$ cheaper.

Asus ROG VI Hero, MSI Z87 Mpower Max and the Z87X-OC won....

Ha, same motherboards I'm looking at, at the moment. The baby sniper is another one I'm interested in also.

I'm just waiting on the maximus vi impact, before deciding which board to choose.

what stepping is the Asus HERO? It's a bit pricey for what you get but I'm ok with that. Does it still have the USB3 bug though? How will someone be able to tell if they are getting a C2 stepping?

what stepping is the Asus HERO? It's a bit pricey for what you get but I'm ok with that. Does it still have the USB3 bug though? How will someone be able to tell if they are getting a C2 stepping?

What is this stepping crap all about?

If you go into the UEFI or CPU-Z you can see which revision the chipset is. Pretty sure that they're all rev. 04 which has the USB bug. AFAIK rev. 05 is the fixed version.

I kind of like the Asus Gryphon personally. If I were buying today, that's what I'd get.

What is this stepping crap all about?

The article I read said the USB bugs would be fixed in C2 stepping boards that were supposed to come out in July. But the article was a couple months old so I'm not sure how accurate that is.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Haswell-S3-Sleep-Problem-PCN,21896.html
http://www.everythingusb.com/intel-haswell-usb-3.0-21812.html
http://www.legitreviews.com/news/15374/

So I guess I'll have to leave my case sitting here until the issue is resolved. I need to upgrade but I don't want buggy USB, that seems REALLY annoying for me since I sleep my computers such that they can wake up and backup in the middle of the night.

Last edited:
Back