What Has Your ISP Done For You Lately?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Talk about going above and beyond to satisfy a customer, one ISP in Ireland actually bought pizza for a customer just to keep them happy. Here in the states, Cox just gave its customers a huge speed increase for free. What has your ISP done for you lately?

Raised my rates without telling me, and eliminated any cheaper options.

My ISP has kept my upload speed exactly the same for a 15 years now. A whopping 50Kb/sec.

lower prices for faster speeds to get us in to their ipv6 rollout

but Tacoma is a special case, socialized fiber network FTW

Kept running ads on TV about "bestest service ever" while doing next to nothing to fix the glorious 42kb/s down 53kb/s up (while promising 2.5MB/s [and no more megabits bullshit :p]) there's nothing wrong with the router or line attenuation, it's just them being idiotmorons...

Time Warner provides us with regular outages a few times a month, I'm assuming to encourage us to get outside and exercise.

It's nice to have a service provider that is concerned with our physical well-being.

Mine finally got around to offering 10mb service (been on 3mb for around 6 years). Only they want $80/mo for it unless you sign a 5 year (yes 5!) contract for $40/mo.

Raised rates. Added Data Caps. Continued it's crappy technical support.

Everything is normal !

Started charging a cable modem rental fee and said "This is now standard with our competitors so we are doing the same"

My isp just dropped my price from $60 to $20 monthly. Increased my speeds from 15/1 to 25/2.5 and upped my caps from 250gb to 400gb. Of course its cause I'm now going to school but I'm still very pleased with them.

My rate has stayed the same for more then 15 years but the speed has gone from 384K down/128 up to 12+Mb down/1.5M up

Put on places policies to protect from software piracy that very clearly favors their customers.

Added two new tiers that, while expensive, are faster than 99% of the US.

Continued to over-execute on their claimed speed.

Rated speed: 150mb/65mb
Actual speed: 165mb/73mb

God I love Verizon FIOS...

I used to have COX as well and never had an issue with them, they were always competitively priced and offered reliable high speeds.

Some markets have seen an increase. It looks like it's coming around to most of their markets.

No one believes me but my ISP hasn't received or asked for any payments in more than a year. Are they spying or me? Fuck if I know.

mine has raised rates constantly..cut services...time for a change..So Im switching.

leaving Uverse..going to Charter.

my ISP just continues to support 1960 infrastructure and supplying me with the worst DSL service ever.

Data cap, started trying to charge me for a modem I have owned for years, torrent and usenet throttling, took two weeks to address a malfunctioning network node, etc.

Cox didn't increase my speed... They did bump up my rate for no apparent reason and with no warning, does that count?

I complain imma switch services to always have introductory prices only way paying for internet in the US is semi sane and not just price gouging.

At work:
Give us 10x the speed for the same price (I'm not kidding)
Take the internet speed to 1/3 of 100x the speed for the same, what no $100 less I month

At Home?
Jack crap!
I'm paying the same thing I did when I got the service years ago, for the same speed and entertainment. They threatten caps but haven't started yet.

I have Suddenlink (a Cox spin-off), and my speeds went from 10 Mbps to 15 Mbps at no charge. Now if they would only put some effort into their cable service, they wouldn't be the worst in existence. The box and guide look like they're from the late 90s and probably are.

Tried to raise the usually $120 package (web/tv/phone) to $170ish on me.

I cancelled TV/Phone and got them to take me to the standard cable speed (15Mb) at promo price for 30.xx/month. Not complaining for 12months = WINNING

Also if your line increases from 20mb/s to 50mb/s you haven't had an increase ins speed, yu've had an increase in bandwidth. 20ms to 15 ms is an increase in speed. :p

I've got Comcrap. Take a guess?

A couple of years ago I tried to find a job in Chattanooga, TN because of the FTTH they've got. Sadly not a whole lot of IT jobs out there.

mine has raised rates constantly..cut services...time for a change..So Im switching.

leaving Uverse..going to Charter.

yup, and they are doing nothing to compete speed wise. Charters slowest speed beats Uverse fastest speed. Its also cheaper by about $10/month. No brainer for me to switch.

Comcast has done nothing at all for me. I was get Dos Attacks for last 3 months. It was slowing down my connection and even went offline for a bit. Comcast wouldn't help me at all. I had to figure out myself how to change IP. I wish there were more options in my area. It is either slow ATT internet or faster Comcast.

My ISP took me offline for a few hours the other day....that's why it took so long for me to reply in a thread in hear. It's not all that often, but it does seem to be happening more and more these days.

New higher latencies, higher bills, data caps, frequent disconnects... Can't complain much i guess they did bump me to a 50 meg connection (when it works)

Added $3/mo to my bill to "rent" the cable modem.

On the plus side, they upped the speed of their standard service to what I had been paying an extra $10/mo for, so I dropped my service level. Same speed. $10/mo less!

Raised my rates without telling me, and eliminated any cheaper options.

Ha, companies love to do that, AT&T did something similar years ago (when I still had them) they kept me paying the old rates for my crappy 1.5Mbps DSL line, all the while they had a new pricing scheme that put that speed tier half the cost for regular customers (not a new customer promo price either) and they happily kept charging me this price for almost a year before I went looking to see if they have faster service and got a big honking WTF.

Then when I called to cancel they told me how since I'm a long time customer in such good standing.... yeah thank me so much you decide to squeeze me for all I'm worth until I came around to figure it out. Reminds me of the old ladies who back in the day rented a telephone from the company, when they stopped doing the whole rental phone bit they didn't care about older phones (rotary ones!) and no longer did the rental, however they happily kept the rental charge on their phone bills.

FiOS doubled our speeds in Tier 2 and up for no extra charge, so we're at 50Mbit now.

Comcast has done nothing but be shits. Raising rates and same speed. No other options in my area.

Back