What Has Your ISP Done For You Lately?

TWC sent me a little postcard, that I'm sure they expected me to throw away with reading, stating that they were going to start charging me for my cable modem. Then sent me a letter the next month saying they loved my business so much they were lowering my bill, by the exact amount of the modem fee.

In the last three year my ISP has more than doubled my D/U and hasn't increased my bills at all. They are trying to stay competitive with Charter and Cox even though they have my district on lockdown from letting competitors in.

Ha, companies love to do that, AT&T did something similar years ago (when I still had them) they kept me paying the old rates for my crappy 1.5Mbps DSL line, all the while they had a new pricing scheme that put that speed tier half the cost for regular customers (not a new customer promo price either) and they happily kept charging me this price for almost a year before I went looking to see if they have faster service and got a big honking WTF.

Then when I called to cancel they told me how since I'm a long time customer in such good standing.... yeah thank me so much you decide to squeeze me for all I'm worth until I came around to figure it out. Reminds me of the old ladies who back in the day rented a telephone from the company, when they stopped doing the whole rental phone bit they didn't care about older phones (rotary ones!) and no longer did the rental, however they happily kept the rental charge on their phone bills.

The problem is that even though I'm in a city with more than a half a million people, I'm in a dead zone where there's only one carrier: Charter. And to be honest...they've been good in recent years. Little downtime, and they bust ass to get it back up when it's out. I just hate how they hook you with those 2-year deals and then your rates double, only to be told "actually this used to be more expensive, so you should thank us, bitch".

I really wish I had the know-how(and capital) to start my own ISP.

@Stiletto
You wouldn't want your own ISP
You'd have to start dealing with the government even more, alot more

lower prices for faster speeds to get us in to their ipv6 rollout

but Tacoma is a special case, socialized fiber network FTW

It's not that great. They use Comcast's lines and while the prices are OK, their speeds lag behind Comcast. They're just now getting to around DOCSIS 3.0, while Comcast has already had it in this area as early as 2008. Their acceptable use policy even limits customers to the same 250GB download limit that Comcast had.

@Stiletto
You wouldn't want your own ISP
You'd have to start dealing with the government even more, alot more

Yes, but I'd be helping people by providing competition. Some here lament the lack of Gigabit internet, but that's not our biggest problem with regard to internet access. Our biggest problem is areas monopolized by a single ISP. While mobile hotspots are helpful, they're mostly limited to 3G and have pretty strict caps.

my ISP has halved the Data Caps, and then raised the Monthly Cost.. Gotta love Canadian Internet...

Well I just renewed my contract with Verizon FiOS and not only did they bump me up to 25/50 (32/57 actual) at no charge and sent me a new modem/gigabit/wireless N router, they included more movie channels and lowered my monthly bill $4. When I retire and head south, I will only move to somewhere there is FiOS. The only outage I've ever had was due to birds pecking on the fiber line.

Well I just renewed my contract with Verizon FiOS and not only did they bump me up to 25/50 (32/57 actual) at no charge and sent me a new modem/gigabit/wireless N router, they included more movie channels and lowered my monthly bill $4. When I retire and head south, I will only move to somewhere there is FiOS. The only outage I've ever had was due to birds pecking on the fiber line.
I forgot to add; no data caps.:D

Got 1 year free HBO about a month ago, somehow their system had me switching my service to a new location. I was like "WT f**king f**k brahs, im not moving! :mad:" they apologize and here's a free year of hbo. Oh yeah and no data caps can't complain :p

Got 1 year free HBO about a month ago, somehow their system had me switching my service to a new location. I was like "WT f**king f**k brahs, im not moving! :mad:" they apologize and here's a free year of hbo. Oh yeah and no data caps can't complain :p

forgot to say I'm on Verizon Fios

doubled my speed for free, but implemented a data cap with overage charges, so I think the speed upgrade is so they can fine me more.

FWIW I pay <$40 for ~22/1.5 which I consider to be reasonable, the cap pisses me off though

doubled my speed for free, but implemented a data cap with overage charges, so I think the speed upgrade is so they can fine me more.

FWIW I pay <$40 for ~22/1.5 which I consider to be reasonable, the cap pisses me off though

How big is the cap?

I would love to talk shit about comcast, but its the ONLY ISP in my area to have above a 1.5mbps connection. At this point I am just glad I get them at all lol. I also live in a huge city too and that makes no sense.

Lets see slowed our rates down since we wouldnt buy into a bundle! raised the rates through back page contract parts that they dont tell you about. but you soon find out after the fact that your stuck in a contract that sucks. thats charter. if the internet service was even close to sucking i would never bother. but is its better then att and thats about all the choose we have in st louis. i have done tried all the others and you can see peak bottle necks on all the services but charter.

Went from 7mbps for $30 to 6mbps for $46 on DSL, could always jump to a cable provider and get 7-ish mbps for $60.

Cox gave 2x speed increase??? Where? What state do you live in? Three years ago, Cox bundle started at $118 per month, that same bundle currently cost $164. Even if COX did give (some areas) a speed increase, you already paid for it! Plus, COX keeps saying costs went up due to Federal taxes increases and if you believe that... Sandy Hook NJ is for sale.

I was able to go from 20/2 to a 50/5 package, with a 1TB cap, while saving $20 a month in the process! The internet is about the only good thing I can say about Mediacom..Their HDTV channel selection is very lacking, and I have had so many tiling issues/freezes etc over the past few years to count..

I get a 50mb connection for $35 a month with no cap (for now) but they do constantly try to fuck me on the bill.

Charter, their reliability, prices, customer service, tech service, and my 100Mb connection has been fucking awesome since day one. I'm completely satisfied and couldn't ask for more.

Sucks for the rest of you! :)

I am so thankful for being with suddenshit(formally known as suddenlink) they are wunderkind for raising rates and not providing anything else whatsoever.

My ISP (Insight Communications) will happily cut my access for anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours if I stay connected for more then a few hours actively or a day passively.. FUN!

BTW.... this means I can't use Netflix or any other kind of streaming on demand service... as they cut me once I hit about 60% of my max throughput. I don't have an actual cap, it's bandwidth they freak over.

Just recently they sent me 3 HD cable boxes and packaged our amazing internet in with our awesome cable then threw in the phone service for added "savings".

What they really did was jack up our price, gave us a service we don't use(phone), shat on our throughput, shipped us not one, but two devices that somehow had different serial numbers than what they actually where(huge headache and over a week to resolve when installing) and tried to tack on a modem fee(promptly called and went thermonuclear to get it taken off). Oh, most their HD content blows too. I had a different service provider in college and the broadcasted HD was actually impressive to see. Comcast's HD seems no better than up-converted dvd content most of the time.

Put on places policies to protect from software piracy that very clearly favors their customers.

Added two new tiers that, while expensive, are faster than 99% of the US.

Continued to over-execute on their claimed speed.

Rated speed: 150mb/65mb
Actual speed: 165mb/73mb

God I love Verizon FIOS...

I used to have COX as well and never had an issue with them, they were always competitively priced and offered reliable high speeds.

Truth. Love FiOS. I had Comcast previously and like clockwork every 3-4 days I'd have outages for no explicable reason. Not an issue on my end, just like it isn't ever on my girlfriend's end when her Cable Vision service goes out almost daily.

Meanwhile, in FiOS land. 6 years only 1 outage. Hurricane Sandy hits and the only thing that went out was the power. As soon as the generator kicked in, internet and TV was back up with it. Fuck yeah FiOS.

No changes from CenturyLink here in MN, which isn't necessarily good or bad.

Provided consistent service without a rate change. 40 down, 20 up, no blocked ports, no cap, static IP. Can't ask for more than that. (Qwest)

Put on places policies to protect from software piracy that very clearly favors their customers.

Added two new tiers that, while expensive, are faster than 99% of the US.

Continued to over-execute on their claimed speed.

Rated speed: 150mb/65mb
Actual speed: 165mb/73mb

God I love Verizon FIOS...

I used to have COX as well and never had an issue with them, they were always competitively priced and offered reliable high speeds.

I get a good rate from Verizon FIOS, and the speed is pretty good (25 down, 10 up), but I don't feel like it's all that reliable. It slows down and stops responding periodically. I paid a lot more for a slower connection from Comcast, but it was a steadier connection.

The two that are available where I live:

Mediacom - still no timeline for moving to DOCSIS 3.0.
Can only get 15Mb down from them.
Continues to send me advertisements on "specials" they are having. Thanks for the paper I can use to help start fires in my fireplace and burn pile.
Also in bed with the MAFIAA.
Customer service is total crap as well.
Took me multiple months after I canceled service with them to get them to stop sending me bills.

Knology - still their fastest speed where I am is 25/5. Usually get around 30-32 down. Same price as Mediacom's 15Mb down service. Almost never goes down.

Started charging a cable modem rental fee and said "This is now standard with our competitors so we are doing the same"

That was standard when Cable first started rolling out. I haven't paid a Cable Modem Rental Fee in a decade.

I have Suddenlink (a Cox spin-off), and my speeds went from 10 Mbps to 15 Mbps at no charge. Now if they would only put some effort into their cable service, they wouldn't be the worst in existence. The box and guide look like they're from the late 90s and probably are.

Hi- My name is Shannon and I am with Suddenlink. I would be happy to review your account and see if we can upgrade your equipment to a DVR or TiVo. Please feel free to email me at shannon-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com. Thanks!

Keep sending me e-mails about 6Mbps DSL being available to our house, when I'm restricted to 3Mbps DSL.

Keep sending me e-mails about 6Mbps DSL being available to our house, when I'm restricted to 3Mbps DSL.

Hi- Shannon with suddenlink here. Do you use Suddenlink service? If so, feel free to email me and I will be happy to review your account. My email is shannon-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com. Thanks!

Back