What happens when you OC a 6800 GT?

Dan UCF

[H]ard|Gawd
What happens when you OC the 6800 GT?
Isn't the card 16 Pipes like the ultra just with slower clock speeds?
So wouldn't overclocking it to Ultra speeds yield Ultra performance?

If so I'm going to go try and get one from Comp USSR tomorrow. Supposedly they are going to come into stock.

actually in some benchmarks the GT performs better than the Ultra at the same clock speed

The GT has more potential then the Ultra for OC'ing in my opinion. The Ultra is pretty much the GT with a higher clock speed.

yea, i've been eyeballing the gt for the past few weeks, i'm just waiting for these lazy retailers to hook us all up with a nice deal.. CMON DAMNIT! :p ;)

Techx said:
yea, i've been eyeballing the gt for the past few weeks, i'm just waiting for these lazy retailers to hook us all up with a nice deal.. CMON DAMNIT! :p ;)

I bought mine from compuplus yesterday for $385.00 and overnight shipping. The card is on hte truck to be delivered today. I'm happy!

LoL, your lucky, i was going to order then, but i decided to wait and look more, by then they raised the price to 429, still not bad, only 30 over MSRP, i also ordered from CompuPlus, should come today or tomorrow.

Hopefully I won't have to wait too long for my PNY Ultra...

Got any specs and 3Dmark benches yet?

CSx-2011 said:
Hopefully I won't have to wait too long for my PNY Ultra...

Got any specs and 3Dmark benches yet?

No I don't have any benchmarks yet. I reformatted last night and installed FarCry. I'm getting 60 FPS though running the game at 1024 X 768 with 8X AA and 16X AF. All the in game settings on Ultra High or highest.

[BB] Rick James said:
The GT has more potential then the Ultra for OC'ing in my opinion. The Ultra is pretty much the GT with a higher clock speed.

I dunno about that. What speed are you running your BFG at?

The 6800 ultra's will hit 470Mhz or higher core speeds. The 6800GT's wont. You'll be lucky to hit 450Mhz with a single primary power connector. You would need the secondary to reach those higher clock speeds. Plus the RAM is only 2.0ns on the 6800GT's. Its 1.6ns on the ultras.

Sweet Lian Li pc75+(6)x 80mm Stealth Fans+Geforce 6800 Ultra with 1.6ns ram = wow

dual dvi... that is cool...

Back