What happens after windows 10 ends its support in 2026?

lol, you guys a huge number of people don't even know what version of Windows they are running. My question to my sister the other day was, is your start menu a circle or a square, that's how I found out what version of windows she was running. Consumers do not give a rip when Windows support will end in 10 years, they don't even think ahead 1 year. Windows XP was delayed how many times and people still didn't move. People here make a giant deal out of junk the average consumer could not care less about. All they care about is does the device in front of them do what they want, supposing they even know what they want it to do..... The same exact logic applies to Android all this arguing about fragmentation etc.... good grief the largest selling Android maker is the one most consider to be the worst for updates and fragmentation.

Right now there is no consumer precedent for subscription based OS. And MS has had plenty of success with office 365, personally, if the price was right I would love a subscription based OS. I love office 365 the price is right when you can put it on 5 computers. But I can see how a single person would take issue with $70 / year. The biggest thing missing from subscriptions is the price. MS needs to look honestly at how much money they make off of windows per person and divide it up and roll out a subscription based on that. When you consider OEM Windows sale price, how infrequently people upgrade and all that I suspect Windows isn't worth more than $10 / year. Which IMO means they should just throw it into office 365 as a value added feature. That said I think just like office MS should make it available as a purchase as well. But so far MS has not tried and doesnt look like they will any time soon certainly not while Apple is still looming with the possibility of taking market share and google keeps poking with chromebooks.

My question to my sister the other day was, is your start menu a circle or a square, that's how I found out what version of windows she was running.

When the circle changes to a square, even the world's most technically inept person knows their OS has changed. The OS is far from invisible. They may not know what version of the OS is, but if they change inconveniences them, I can assure you they complain.

Last edited:
When the circle changes to a square, even the world's most technically inept person knows their OS has changed. The OS is far from invisible.

That something changed, sure. That the changes had to with the OS; how many people even know that that acronym even means, maybe not.

That something changed, sure. That the changes had to with the OS; how many people even know that that acronym even means, maybe not.

The meaning of the acronym is as relevant as the version number of Windows. It's a GUI, there's the Chrome icon, there's the email icon - The end user doesn't care for anything but how much change inconveniences them, and change where it's not necessary just pisses them off. It's like when the supermarket keeps changing the layout of the store.

Hence the reason why OSX/macOS doesn't change greatly between versions and docks are a great idea with the masses.

I just have a thought: microsoft said there is no more newer ver. of windows, that win 10 is the final ver.

What if microsoft comes up w/ a voice recognition ver. of a new OS? Call it windows w/ voice recognition. Then what they said would be true, and there is no more windows, but a whole new OS under a different name that starts with ver. 1

I mean, Amazon, Apple all have their own voice recognition box. That in itself could force mircosoft to come up w/ a new OS to compete.

Probably what would happen is, for the Home Premium ver., Bill Gates would named it after 1 of his mistress, say Bambi :)

and for another extra $135, the Pro ver., would allow you to name the female robot to any name you want:D

Each major update counts as a new version of Windows. So in 2025, Windows 10 build 1703 (creators update) will stop being supported. In the Fall when the new major update comes along, that might be supported until 2026 or a similar period of time. Windows 10 is technically already not "supported" anymore. Version 1503 dropped support in May. 1507 will get dropped next, then 1511, 1607 (Anniversary update), etc etc etc...
I don't think this is entirely right.

I think the 'Windows 10 supported until' only applies to you if you are using the latest feature release (major version) regardless of what that version is. They do this in case they decide to stop the SAAS model. For example, pretend the 1711 (Fall Creators Update) ends up being the last version of Windows 10; that would be supported until 2025. That doesn't mean every previous version is supported until then.

So as you correctly pointed out, version 1506 is no longer supported. Shortly 1511 will stop being supported, and so on. According to one Microsoft document, they reserve the right to stop supported old feature releases as little as 60 days after a new build is released "By policy, devices need to install the latest feature update within a 60-day grace period of its release to continue to be eligible for monthly servicing with security updates and other quality updates." SOURCE Based on this, the 1703 build could be dropped from support as early as 2 months after 1711 comes out.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-1507-will-no-longer-receive-security-updates
This is why they release LTSB versions. Those are special versions that allow you to stay on old feature sets but still receive security releases for several years, which is not available with the normal builds. If the normal builds did receive updates until 2025 or so, there would be no reason to have LTSB builds.

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused on this Windows 11 concept, is this that man Avdan imagination or does he work for msft?

I do think Microsoft will eventually release a "new" OS, but it won't be until after they have fully transitioned to UWP.

You misunderstand. No one will really be using PCs in 2026. Really 9 years from now... I doubt any of the majors are still selling traditional PCs, even the laptop form factor is likely to be mostly gone in 10 years.

People have been predicting the doom of the PC almost since the IBM PC came to market. In fact, IBM never thought the PC would be a big seller.
Yet here we are.

I see young people especially saying they don't need a PC. The kind who stare at their phones all day.

That's fine for them, but many people like myself only use the phone as a phone for the most part (yes, texting and GPS too).
However, I spend most of the day, every day on desktop systems, and sometimes my laptop.

I have absolutely ZERO interest in staring at my phone all day.

PCs are not going away any time soon, if ever.

I do see Windows not owning the OS market one day. The replacement may be Linux, maybe something else.

What's UWP?

For me, I rely on Pc far more today than 5 yr. ago, so to say PC is dying, is just total horse shit

Just another Microsoft marketing move.
Microsoft found out long ago that people don't always accept every move they make.

Microsoft BOB, Clippy, Windows ME, Windows 8, Edge, Microsoft Store, Windows Phone, etc.

We'll see what happens, but I don't think Microsoft will always be the market leader that they are today.

That does NOT mean PCs are going away. They will evolve with or without Microsoft.

well for me, UWP means nothing. I have no xbox, no other laptop or other micrsoft device.

Just a fan created concept. This has nothing to do with Microsoft. Unfortunately.
I so much miss the greyish (or other color) border top of the apps and windows, still can't get used to the borderless windows 10 concept, it's so hard to orientate sometimes with multiple windows open and see where one window ends and other begins... nightmare.

Back