What happened to...

twoeyes

Limp Gawd
Anyone remember when the MMO genre was in its infancy all the developers touted they'd be releasing new content on a weekly basis... New landmasses, monsters, etc. Instead of doing this, they release a game half assed then add the features that should have been there since release slowly and call these updates. Anyone else remember the high hopes that existed for this genre and the fresh air it was supposed to bring to gaming, because of how monthly fees would allow us a fresh gaming experience every time we log on?

I somewhat agree. EverQuest was on the right path at times with huge GM events and such, but, well, that didn't last.

I would love to see new content quickly and GM events, I have played guild wars and WOW, and while guildwars would be hard to host a major event i would love to see the evil alliance cities destroyed by a meteor or something.

Anyone remember when the MMO genre was in its infancy all the developers touted they'd be releasing new content on a weekly basis...
Probably because years ago content was much cheaper to create. As an example, secret levels used to be more or less standard in FPSs, because one guy could throw one together in a day or two. Nowadays, with game budgets in the tens of millions, adding a couple more levels is certainly not something trivial.

Likewise, weekly content additions may have been possible when the MMO genre was starting off, but nowadays the cost is just too much for most developers to take on. And those who can afford it are probably quite happy with things the way they are (I think you can guess who I've got in mind here...).

And those who can afford it are probably quite happy with things the way they are (I think you can guess who I've got in mind here...).

Thats what i'm saying :(

I just feel that as a community we got lured into these monthly fee based games with developers telling us it would buy a dynamic world. Now fast forward a few years later we're paying the same fees but getting a static world... Basically we're just paying for uptime.

What? you mean you dont consider, the city decorations or elemental invasions of WOW, monthly content? .... neither did I.

Probably because years ago content was much cheaper to create. As an example, secret levels used to be more or less standard in FPSs, because one guy could throw one together in a day or two. Nowadays, with game budgets in the tens of millions, adding a couple more levels is certainly not something trivial.

Likewise, weekly content additions may have been possible when the MMO genre was starting off, but nowadays the cost is just too much for most developers to take on. And those who can afford it are probably quite happy with things the way they are (I think you can guess who I've got in mind here...).

Personally i think what could do, and keep it cheap, is make the creatures start to evolve over time, just make a few new models, and over say 6 months and create a new creature, like a flying boar or something. At least it would change things

Back