What happened to VIVO?

{NcsO}ReichstaG

[H]ard|Gawd
None of the new cards feature "Video In." I liked this feature because I could hook up my Dish receiver directly to the computer with it....but if I upgrade....:(

NVIDIA dropped video input on their reference designs with the debut of the 7900 series cards. The only cards you'll find with video input are third party board designs and I don't think there are any G80 or G92 boards with it. There were a couple of 7900 series boards from XFX that had VIVO functionality, but that's it.

If you want video input you'll have to pick up a PCI card that features it, you can find them sold as "DVD Maker" cards, or you can get a full fledged TV tuner card which will also feature video input.

I personally picked up a KWorld PCI DVD Maker card for this very purpose, it was only $10 from Newegg and works great for what it costs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815100120

Right now it's actually $0.00 after mail in rebate so in essence you are just paying for shipping.

Now of course if you are considering ATI I think most of their cards still feature full VIVO functionality. Score one for ATI for not shafting us video editing people....

I posed this question to a couple engineers that work at nvidia at GeForce Lan 3, long story short, "Cost of chip (price/design & pcb space) vs consumer demand".

What cables are good for that input, think thats on the 2900pro which is on the way, but never used VIVO before.

What cables are good for that input, think thats on the 2900pro which is on the way, but never used VIVO before.

Your card should have come with a dongle that features S-Video input/output along with composite in/out. Generally you'll want to use an S-Video connection if at all possible.

Composite/s-video is horrible on a PC monitor, pick up a card with component input and you get a much better picture.

And were would the average consumer buy such a card?

pretty much any modern card with vivo should have a component capable input output. it only looks like an S-video connection, but it has extra pins in it and it should come with a dongle that splits out into the RGB. as of the X19** series, ATI's partners still had many vivo cards available. most of the 1950pro cards had it.

pretty much any modern card with vivo should have a component capable input output. it only looks like an S-video connection, but it has extra pins in it and it should come with a dongle that splits out into the RGB. as of the X19** series, ATI's partners still had many vivo cards available. most of the 1950pro cards had it.

Not strictly correct - those ports and the associated dongles (also the DVI dongles) only output component, they won't accept it as input. The only reasonably-priced component (YPbPr or RGBS) capture card I've seen is the Sweetspot / PDI Deluxe - I have one of these and am very happy with it as combined with DScaler software it allows a large amount of processing to be performed on any captured image. It only captures up to 480i however, I haven't found a reasonably priced ED/HD capture card.

http://www.pluggedin.tv/site/sweetspot/index.html - European site

WRONG-O

Those are component OUTPUTS, my friend.

There are pretty much NO affordable solutions for inputting high definition or even 480p into your PC at the moment. S-Video and composite are the best you'll get unless you want to throw down some serious cash for some kind of custom professional hardware.

WRONG-O

There are pretty much NO affordable solutions for inputting high definition or even 480p into your PC at the moment. S-Video and composite are the best you'll get unless you want to throw down some serious cash for some kind of custom professional hardware.

meh.just get a monitor with component inputs :p doesn't help to capture though :p

WRONG-O

480i is easy enough for less than the cost of a high-end card, as per my link above. The most cost-effective solution for HD is the Holo3DGraph, but prices are highly variable - $500-$900.

480i is easy enough for less than the cost of a high-end card, as per my link above. The most cost-effective solution for HD is the Holo3DGraph, but prices are highly variable - $500-$900.

You are getting 480i just by using the S-Video or composite input on any ordinary TV Tuner or video capture card. Who needs a $200 card for that? Sure, you're getting a (VERY) slight benefit by having a seperated RGB input but that's about it really.

RGB a slight benefit over composite or s-video? That is definitely a personal opinion, the change to component video from anything less is at least as great as the change from SD to HD to me. I use RGB or YPbPr to hook up all my consoles and A/V devices and they all look a hell of a lot better for it. There are whole subcultures devoted to adding RGB output to devices simply because it gives the best picture quality possible.

See the pictures at the very bottom of this page for a composite vs RGB comparison:

http://nfggames.com/games/neorgb/

Out of curiosity, why are capture cards featuring a component input so expensive? Monopoly because they aren't in high demand or cost of production...?

I will probably just hook up the Dish hard drive to my PC through a SATA cable or something avoiding the need for video capture ....:)

I don't know how US cable/satellite boxes work (assuming you're there) but UK Sky HDs are encrypted - you can attach them to a PC via standard SATA and copy the contents but without the decoding hardware in the box you can't watch anything.

I heard that PVR Explorer works at decoding the content for like Dish Network satellite boxes in the US.

'01 wanted their tech back:p

I always wondered about why vivo went away, along with the AIW-type cards we used to see a lot of, or, maybe I am just not looking hard enough?

I assume the reason is was dropped was for cost
sonofwaffle.gif

Back