What happened to the awesome tank battles from battlefield 1942?

heflix455

n00b
I just fired up 1942 and realized ive been missing some good tank battles in battlefield 2. It just seems like there is more of a chance for tanks to duke it out in 1942 than in battlefield 2. Am i the only one that feels this? Same with the ac-130 gunship. That thing was awesome in desert combat.

I'm going to fire the game up right now actually, I have a LAN tommorow. :)

I just tried the game and noticed there were no more big servers. There were only a couple of 50-something player servers, I remember seeing lots of full 64 player servers before. Is it something with my connection or did this game really die down?

I hear that armored forces expansion for bf2 is going to bring back the good ol tank battles. But what do I know, ive never played bf 1942

Have you seen the jets? I actually feel safer as an individual infantry than in a tank, they exist solely to be raped by choppers, jets, and C4.

I guess the importance of the tank has diminished in BF2 now that there's several ways to take them out. In BF1942, what with the huge, flat landscapes, infantry could not sneak up to a tank without being seen a 100 yards away, the engineer's explosives did not stick, the anti-tank needed three shots to the side of a tank to destroy it, they needed to aim with the rocket's arc factor, and if the target was moving, time it perfectly too (it was actually my favorite class for this reason). Pilots actually needed to bomb directly on tanks to destroy them, and they could only drop one at a time. Bombing near them didn't do any real good because splash damage did relatively little. The only real advantage infantry had in BF1942 over tanks was that grenades did much more damage against them than in BF2.

Now in BF2, sneaking up to a tank and planting C4 or landmines is much easier in these smaller and more focused maps, filled with buildings and obstacles to hide in. Anti-tank can home in on tanks, from a good distance too. Helicoptors can easily decimate tanks with their salvo of rockets. The plane's several bombs only need to land near the tank to destroy it. And, finally, there is artillery.

Back