What happened to the ~$200 cards???

Star Fox

Limp Gawd
I've been planning on getting a new video card with these specs:
Pci-E
GDDR3
512mb ram

I had planned on getting one out of three $190-225 cards in Newegg, but now they're all gone. They aren't just out of stock, they are not carried anymore.

Now cards with those specs start at $159, and the next card up is $265.
The problem is I don't want the $159 card because it sucks, and I can't get the $265 one because I'm broke.

Anybody know what happened to these cards?
Should I try to find them on eBay, or should I just get a different spec ~$200 card?

Have you given any thought to what core you want?
The 512mb cards of sub 200$ standard usually can't really utilize that amount of memory,
I would be aiming for a $200+ X1900XT 256mb or a 7900GS.
They're both 256mb, but the core is powerfull enough to enjoy.
A 512mb card less then a 78xx+ or X18xx + won't use the memory since it can't run such high settings.

I found a x1900gt at ewiz for right at $200 very happy with it didnt want to spend more with the dx10 cards otw.

I had never bought from them before but they promptly processed order and sent tracking email etc. etc. seems to be good place based on my one experience. anywho, worth a look to see if they have what you want.

altcon said:
Have you given any thought to what core you want?
The 512mb cards of sub 200$ standard usually can't really utilize that amount of memory,
I would be aiming for a $200+ X1900XT 256mb or a 7900GS.
They're both 256mb, but the core is powerfull enough to enjoy.
A 512mb card less then a 78xx+ or X18xx + won't use the memory since it can't run such high settings.

QFT

He brings up very valid points.

The x1950pro should be coming out in a couple of weeks, that'll be under $200 and great value. 7900GS is <$200 too. Like the other guys said, there's not much point in putting 512MB on a lower-end card right now.

more ram on midrange card = pointless

256MB is all you need unless you're running a $400+ card. Although someone did point out that Titan Quest likes the extra RAM. But it's more of an exception to the rule than anything else.

Back