What happened to SEGA?

Molingrad

Gawd
I was just wondering what happened to sega. I remember i used to love the genesis. Then they had the CD and 32X. And Saturn and the Dreamcast. Were they just ahead of thier time?

I wouldn't say ahead of their time, they really hit a rough patch after they launched the Genesis. The Sega CD and 32x had some decent games, but they were definitely not very successful. The Saturn was just poorly planned, since they had that surprise launch, and the Saturn was supposed to be much harder to develop for than the Playstation. Not to mention the launch had absolutely nothing compelling, compared to the Playstation launch (at the time, those games were supposed to be good, like Battle Arena Toshinden).

I personally loved the Saturn, since it had beastly 2D performance (see: all the 2-D fighters like the Capcom vs. series and side-scrollers like Metal Slug being perfectly ported to the system) and had some amazing games like Grandia, Shining Force 3, and Radiant Silvergun. But what doe all these games have in common? They were never released here. We Americans totally missed out on a lot of quality games. Of course, by that time the Saturn was pretty much on life support.

The Dreamcast was, without a doubt, a great system. Great games, great launch, great fanbase. However, Sony started their hype machine with the PS2's superpowers, which all but killed the Dreamcast.

These days, Sega exists as Sammy Sega holdings. They were bought by Sammy in 2005 after they fell on some hard financial times. Ah well.

yeah i guess the concols them selfs were costing a little bit more to make then they were actually selling and so they lost alot of money. And now they make games.. the sonic and (some sport)2kx are still going to be around as they are still making games.

BillLeeLee said:
These days, Sega exists as Sammy Sega holdings. They were bought by Sammy in 2005 after they fell on some hard financial times. Ah well.

Sammy is the company behind Guilty Gear, right?

that i dont know.. i didnt even know it was bought.... :eek:

Back