What happened to per pixel bullet placement?

Despotes

Gawd
SOF2 is the only game I can remember that had this and some decent carnage.
Anything else out there with this feature? If not, why don't games use this technology anymore? It would be a great selling point.

I have to say part of it has to do with consoles. I don't think those analog sticks can be accurate enough to take advantage of such a precise feature. And I would venture a guess that the rest of the reason is the popularity of multi-player. I have to think using hitboxes for play over the internet is much easier to code for.

What exactly is per pixel bullet placement? I have never heard this term.

I think Doom 3 used per pixel hit boxes, not sure, just remembered some hype from id about per pixel something

Anything else out there with this feature? If not, why don't games use this technology anymore? It would be a great selling point.
Let's think about this ...the diameter of a .45 cal is .452 in., it's not done because it doesn't fix into a pixel!!!1!!1!!eleven!!!

I would put it down to a combination of

1) There are probably better/more important subsystems to invest time into during development.
2) Gaming as a self-censoring industry and the ESRB (and other ratings boards). Publishers can't risk receiving an AO rating.

I, too, miss the detail that SOF2 had... IMO no game since has tried to replicate dismemberment detail quite like that one, particularly when measured against the engine technology of the time.

I would put it down to a combination of

1) There are probably better/more important subsystems to invest time into during development.
2) Gaming as a self-censoring industry and the ESRB (and other ratings boards). Publishers can't risk receiving an AO rating.

I, too, miss the detail that SOF2 had... IMO no game since has tried to replicate dismemberment detail quite like that one, particularly when measured against the engine technology of the time.

I would imagine its because of the negative press it would generate. SOF was pretty much PC only so it slipped under the radar for the most part. It would also be censored in lots of European countries which often ban hyper realistic video games that don't adhere to a set forth guideline standards. There really hasn't been a huge set of truly violent and realistic video games since those golden days , too many publishers/developers aren't willing to take chances like that anymore.

Back