what happened to Jelly Bean update for the S3?

MelonSplitter

[H]ard|Gawd
Ever since the apple vs samsung lawsuit I havent heard anything more about the JB update. WTH

He'd be waiting a lot shorter than me with my Photon. :(

lol my droid 2 global never got any updates at all, I don't think it ever got gingerbread lol. Only in the past few months have OEMs and carrier been pushing updates faster I think. Before that all the updates took ages if they even bothered.

It's Samsung, the update won't come until March of next year and then you will never see another update ever again

And no, I'm not joking.

Last edited:
Heck Motorola is now cancelling scheduled updates:

m.gsmarena.com/motorola_cancels_ics_update_for_certain_devices-news-4878.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

//damn mobile link...

Update just pushed to my At&t S3 :cool:

Edit - meh, still no JB

Last edited:
As an Android user, I'm used to hunting for leaks and trying out custom roms with various issues if I want the newest OS updates. This is how its always been and will remain since Google doesn't care about Android.

As an Android user, I'm used to hunting for leaks and trying out custom roms with various issues if I want the newest OS updates. This is how its always been and will remain since Google doesn't care about Android.
I don't understand this "they don't care" sentiment. It's open source. What do you want them to do? Withhold the code from carriers and manufacturers who don't play ball?

I don't understand this "they don't care" sentiment. It's open source. What do you want them to do? Withhold the code from carriers and manufacturers who don't play ball?

Require all partners to commit to support for at least 2 years, and timely releases. They've said many times they'd do something about the fragmentation and lack of updates, but it's all a fairy tale. Why would Google allow Verizon to get the Nexus and allow VZW to hold back updates for 6 months?

Android is the most popular mobile OS, it's not like Google has no leverage.

Require all partners to commit to support for at least 2 years, and timely releases.

Require how, exactly? I think you missed the part about it being open source, and Google needs OEMs just as much as they need Google.

Why would Google allow Verizon to get the Nexus and allow VZW to hold back updates for 6 months?

Android is the most popular mobile OS, it's not like Google has no leverage.

Well because they didn't, VZW takes 2-3 months to approve an update, not 6 months. Also, Verizon is the largest carrier in the US - they aren't exactly short on leverage either. Especially since Verizon is the one paying for the phones in the first place, or have you forgotten how US cell phone sales work? Google doesn't have anywhere close to the power and leverage you guys seem to think they do.

rumor has it that it will drop in october weather or not that is oct 1st or oct 31st is up in the air and possible it will get delayed but im running jb on mine right now tmobile has 3 leaks at&t has one and sprint has a leak all that is left is big red...

Require how, exactly? I think you missed the part about it being open source, and Google needs OEMs just as much as they need Google.

Well because they didn't, VZW takes 2-3 months to approve an update, not 6 months. Also, Verizon is the largest carrier in the US - they aren't exactly short on leverage either. Especially since Verizon is the one paying for the phones in the first place, or have you forgotten how US cell phone sales work? Google doesn't have anywhere close to the power and leverage you guys seem to think they do.
Google can always remove Google Play or Gmail support for those phones. That's how they're forcing it in the first place.

Google does not allow certain Android devices on the Play Store. They could just do the same thing here. If the OEM and carrier don't support the phone, Google just denies them Play Store access on future phones. Google services are not open source.

Last edited:
Carrier ROMs suck. Root that poor phone. I'm already rocking JB on my 2.5 year Evo4g.

For international SGS3 users, the 4.1.1 update hit Poland on September 24th. Poland always seems to get it first, based on my experiences with my SGS2. If the past is any indication, I'd expect all unlocked i9300 users to get their 4.1.1 update NLT November 1st (more likely faster than that). UK users might have to wait as Samsung has an agreement with the local carriers there to ensure that the unlocked phone gets the updates last. It's straight BS, but they do it.

As for US carrier-branded firmware, you'll get your update whenever your carrier decides to allow it. The updates were submitted to them for tested as of about 2 weeks ago. In my experience with US-based Galaxy phones, it's generally 2-3 months after submission, if at all, but it is totally up to your carrier at this point.

Not when Android phones are the biggest sellers for pretty much all the carriers. You don't seem to realize how crucial Google is to them.

They are the biggest sellers because of the OEMs, not because of Android. Consumers don't know what the fuck Android is - that's just not a selling point. Right now Google has a massively successful formula on their hands, why would they fuck with that? Especially when Microsoft is itching for an opening?

And that still doesn't change that pissing off your partners is a terrible business model.

They are the biggest sellers because of the OEMs, not because of Android. Consumers don't know what the fuck Android is - that's just not a selling point. Right now Google has a massively successful formula on their hands, why would they fuck with that? Especially when Microsoft is itching for an opening?

And that still doesn't change that pissing off your partners is a terrible business model.

I disagree. MS and Apple are able to dictate terms about adding bloatware/updates on WP and iOS, and Google can do the same. There is a big difference between licensing Android and just compiling AOSP repositories.

Consumers don't need to know about Android, but the carriers certainly do, and they take their time 'certifying' each update, which means adding bloatware and intentional delyas to force users to upgrade.

Or maybe Google should stop pretending that Android is a product, and users should just treat each phone as a locked down appliance full of crapware. Meanwhile the geeks can enjoy Nexus and others can spend their time experimenting with various unstable custom roms.

I'm a big Android supporter but the way Google manages it is a total joke. All they care about is their single GSM model that they only bother to support so their devs can code on it.

JB was officially released to phones in South Korea... Engadget seems to think the USA will get it in the next couple weeks from their carriers. If you're that concerned though, get a ROM like a normal person

If you're that concerned though, get a ROM like a normal person

This statement is what I hate most, root and custom ROM seems to be the answer to every question about android these days. They rarely solve everything. Almost all the time they introduce problems that wasn't there to begin with and fix a few. Sometimes they introduce more than they solve, and for the majority of people Custom ROMs is absolutely not the answer.

This statement is what I hate most, root and custom ROM seems to be the answer to every question about android these days. They rarely solve everything. Almost all the time they introduce problems that wasn't there to begin with and fix a few. Sometimes they introduce more than they solve, and for the majority of people Custom ROMs is absolutely not the answer.

You want a new OS, then get one and don't complain.

Complaining that companies (especially telecoms) don't do their best to drag their feet and keep you from being happy with your device, so that when planned obsolescence strikes and the GS4 comes out and you need to buy another phone you don't really need so that the company can make money off all of the suckers...well...

Is it an ideal solution? Not really. But for most anyone posting on [H], rooting a phone and putting a ROM they want on it should be child's play.

You want a new OS, then get one and don't complain.

Complaining that companies (especially telecoms) don't do their best to drag their feet and keep you from being happy with your device, so that when planned obsolescence strikes and the GS4 comes out and you need to buy another phone you don't really need so that the company can make money off all of the suckers...well...

Is it an ideal solution? Not really. But for most anyone posting on [H], rooting a phone and putting a ROM they want on it should be child's play.

Yes, as long as you don't mind hanging out on XDA all the time, random reboots, issues like gps/BT not working etc etc. Most people don't want the hassle. It takes months for a fully functioning stable rom to come out, and usually only after the official release.

I've tried enough roms/recoveries/kernels. The fact that Android never gets updates is a valid complaint. People seem to think just because its open source it means anyone can use it. AOSP != Android. Without proprietary drivers, RIL etc, all of which are needed for a stable phone, its not much good.

My phone got two updates. When I bought the phone, I bought it for what it was... not what it might be some day in the future.

I'm completely happy with 2.3 on my phone and I don't feel like I'm entitled to anything else.

However I do think critical security vulnerabilities should be fixed and pushed out.

Yes, as long as you don't mind hanging out on XDA all the time, random reboots, issues like gps/BT not working etc etc. Most people don't want the hassle. It takes months for a fully functioning stable rom to come out, and usually only after the official release.

I've tried enough roms/recoveries/kernels. The fact that Android never gets updates is a valid complaint. People seem to think just because its open source it means anyone can use it. AOSP != Android. Without proprietary drivers, RIL etc, all of which are needed for a stable phone, its not much good.
sounds like your a prime candidate for the the iphone
I bought a gs3 cause i got a droid inc and was always running anything i wanted on it i had a ipod touch and a dumb phone for a long time before and i liked android better even with my touch jail broken. guess that makes me best suited to using android

The leaked sprint JB rom has been out for a while. I been using it for a couple days and no problem. I stay rooted and is always hesitant about custom roms. Ill take a stock any day.

I hate the maps apps on my iPhone 5, when can I expect a jellybean upgrade for my phone? xD
Haha...

Anyways, Is it worth the effort to root my GS3 for the unofficial JB update?
Will it void the warranty? I'm on T-mobile BTW.

I hate the maps apps on my iPhone 5, when can I expect a jellybean upgrade for my phone? xD
Haha...

You can't expect support for software issues while it's rooted, of course, but if it's something physical, just remove the root... of course, make sure you've got code that doesn't have a point-of-no-return involved.

Haha...

taking the phone out of the box voids the warranty rooting voids it unlocking the boot loader does and they even have a hidden counter to count how many times it has been flashed

all can be undone and made to look stock though if the screen is dead you may have a hard time relocking the boot loader unrooting and resetting the flash counter.

taking the phone out of the box voids the warranty rooting voids it unlocking the boot loader does and they even have a hidden counter to count how many times it has been flashed

all can be undone and made to look stock though if the screen is dead you may have a hard time relocking the boot loader unrooting and resetting the flash counter.

Taking the phone out of box voids warranty? What?

It is fairly easy resetting the flash counter and unrooting/reverting to stock for the S3.

Taking the phone out of box voids warranty? What?

It is fairly easy resetting the flash counter and unrooting/reverting to stock for the S3.

Was being extra sarcastic in how most companys like to use any excuse to not honor a warranty or how the first thing most people do is root and unlock then rom android phones.

Back