What happened to hands on with bd today?

munkle

[H]F Junkie
I thought we would hear something about the hands on experience with BD today from the H special event today?

Last edited:
I thought we would hear something about the hands on experience with BD today from the H special event today?

since there have been no news reports I assumed I missed something and it didn't happen

how can bulldozer debut and nobody is talking about it

since there have been no news reports I assumed I missed something and it didn't happen

how can bulldozer debut and nobody is talking about it

Exactly. WTF guys? What happened with BD?!?

Bulldozer was pushing a 6950 at 5760x1080 on dirt 3. It was beautiful. The rep said the chips were engineering samples and they were air cooled with the stock heatsink.

The tourney servers all had custom CPU coolers so I imagine they were overclocked thubans and trolldozer was at stock speeds.

Stock heatsink was current Phenom style aluminum block with four copper heat pipes.

Bulldozer was pushing a 6950 at 5760x1080 on dirt 3.

that's odd to me because they can pick whatever they want, and rather than 6970 or 6990 they picked 6950.

The rep said the chips were engineering samples

well that explains why this isn't news. old ES chips. the real bulldozer has not been shown yet :<

I asked of an official release date and was told that there was one, just that it was secret.

No real details.

The sealed case was not putting off a ton of heat, I stood next to it. And as said was running D3 on a 6950. I can tell you that ran really smooth...... for what that's worth. It was cool to see, but I would of loved to see numbers.

The rep said the chips were engineering samples and they were air cooled with the stock heatsink.
That doesn't look good for it to be ES samples this late in the game, even if these were new respins.

Either this means that they got more delays, or somebody misunderstood what was told to them.

haha. sounds like a lame demo.

i guess we all knew they weren't gonna do any benchmarks or comparisons.

dirt 3 is an easy game to push. Even low end cpu's can run that shit with a decent graphics card.

how many frames per second was it running at ? anyone know ?

Looked like alot to me, but of course there was no FPS listed.

At least it was on very high detail and was @ 5760x1080 (I think)

Looked like alot to me, but of course there was no FPS listed.

At least it was on very high detail and was @ 5760x1080 (I think)

Yeah, but isn't that more dependent on the video card than the CPU? I mean, wouldn't it be more likely to mask CPU performance?

Yeah, but isn't that more dependent on the video card than the CPU? I mean, wouldn't it be more likely to mask CPU performance?

Yea absolutely. Even if we had Fraps or something on it I am really not too sure what measurement we would of had other then what the 6950 could push the game too.

Thanks for the correction on the Res, I wasn't sure.

arh, this is getting painful. was really hoping to see some official numbers at least today.

Kyle should have told AMD to [F] off if they could not bench BD at the LAN.

Bah. I dont even care anymore about BD. My current rig will max out any game at my resolution now so Ive just been enjoying my games a lot and spending extra cash on mice and keyboards and shit like that. Between the delays and dead silence from AMD I just cant care anymore. Ill start caring around the end of the year when they are actually out (hopefully) and start worrying about a new motherboard/CPU then.

I was hoping to see some numbers but i'm not waiting till oct , i'm going to build a sandy bridge i7 2600 if amd doesn't give a firm date on thursday that happens by the end of the summer.

As if [H] didn't know what the restrictions were long beforehand. Also, since when do these events ever have benchmarks? If that were actually the standard, I could kind of understand the hostility.

lol... they were well guarded too... no sneaking a peak...

NDA bro, is it seriously that hard to understand? but hey if you want to pay for [H]'s legal fee's and profit losses so kyle could benchmark one of those systems i don't think he would argue it, lol.

the one thing we do know is that the BD ES chip that was being used in the dirt 3 system was a 3.51Ghz processor.
heres some info..

Actually no, the weren't The dirt 3 pictures you see above is one of the two machines at the venue running bulldozer Build as far as I could see
Asus Crosshair V
a SINGLE 6970
Unnamed bulldozer
Corsair h50 and it was running the game flawlessly. There were more problems with the tf2 machines than those. Severely impressed and would have loved to have seen the game running on a 1100T setup next to it.

I did happen to get a glance at the computer/properties page on the bulldozer chip. It was labeled as an "AMD Eng Sample" with a long serial number after @ 3.51 ghz.

That doesn't look good for it to be ES samples this late in the game, even if these were new respins.

Either this means that they got more delays, or somebody misunderstood what was told to them.

its pretty common, given the fact that AMD is located in Texas its a hell of a lot easier for them to just use ES chips since they probably have a few dozen 100 processor trays of ES chips sitting there. also they could of just grabbed a couple of their test systems that were running the ES chips and used them since they knew the systems were running stable.

Last edited:
Bulldozer was pushing a 6950 at 5760x1080 on dirt 3.

Actually now that I think about it he is probably right about this. The projectors were definately 720p, but unlike a monitor they will accept a 1080p signal. They probably just jacked it up as high as it would go without thinking about it.

I knew no real benchmarks would be given. But I would've liked to have seen or read about seeing a demo of bulldozer next to a phenom II.Either way the longer AMD takes the closer I am to jumping on the intel bandwagon.

Even though it may be under NDA (I guess), they still brought the product out to the public. No one cares that a CPU can play games; particularly (arguably) none demanding ones.

Like I said, an Athlon II could do that! So what was the whole point in bringing BD? If BD is confirmed for release in October, I'll be more than little disappointed (pissed). To me, that would confirm--especially after the 60-90 days after June 1 release projection from AMD---that this product's launch isn't going so smoothly.

I could have been purchased a 2500k from Microcenter and been more than satisfied.

I was really hoping for something concrete from AMD to come from this, but the lack of info just reinforces my decision to go Sandy Bridge with a Z68 chipset. I really tried to wait for AMD on this one, but I needed to upgrade and with no concrete release date, that tells me they still don't have their stuff together and we'd be lucky to see an October release at all.

I dont really see what all the BD hype was all about for this event if all it was doing was running in a demo rig that showed off the gpu..Especially if no one could even see it..Just seems lame on AMD's part.

Solid chance that what this event was origionally planed for went down the drain when BD release got pushed back. Event was announced a month(or so?) before BD's origional launch date of quarter 2. Ah well, still wish I could have went.

I'm giving BD another 2 weeks for some kind of a review an then I am going SB.

Just saying, but if [H] did get a chance to test the BD system, I don't think the write-up would be done and up on the site until after weekend.

I think the silence from the event is maybe because they are going to announce something after the weekend? Maybe there is an NDA from the event. Dunno, just idle speculation but I'm hoping. I really want to start a new build and I've been waiting forever to hear something concrete.

In another thread Kyle already stated that release would be 6th of September. If there was anything from the event in any way shape or form it would have been leaked already :) .

I think the silence from the event is maybe because they are going to announce something after the weekend? Maybe there is an NDA from the event. Dunno, just idle speculation but I'm hoping. I really want to start a new build and I've been waiting forever to hear something concrete.

This.
I thought you guys were going to see something unannounced.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

In another thread Kyle already stated that release would be 6th of September. If there was anything from the event in any way shape or form it would have been leaked already :) .

release of BD? ... so when will the give us some benches so we can either salivate over the figures for a month and 1/2 or have that 'oh well look' ...

ya for some reason I was hoping there would be some benches also

release of BD? ... so when will the give us some benches so we can either salivate over the figures for a month and 1/2 or have that 'oh well look' ...

ya for some reason I was hoping there would be some benches also
The NDA may not expire until retail release.

Back