What happened to [H]'s FS/FT verification rules?

Discussion in 'Tips/Tricks & Trolls' started by Falkentyne, Sep 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne [H]ard|Gawd

Back some time ago, all sellers were required to take clear, multiple pictures of the items for sale, as well as a TIMESTAMPED written paper that had the seller's real name or hardforum username (forgot which) written down. But this seems to have ended and many people are just listing items for sale with no pictures or proof of who they are.

Why is this? Now it seems pictures are only provided upon request?

2. Engr62

Engr62 Limp Gawd

I don't see anything in the FS/FT Rules requiring timestamped photos.

3. jmilcher

jmilcher 2[H]4U

Regardless of what happened, it's not a requirement. And the forum has functioned fine without that for some time now.

I personally rely on heat or other feedback. If you don't want to buy something or take the chance, then don't do it.

4. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett Editor-in-Chief HardOCP Staff Member

Those were never rules. Those were norms. Being an adult, you should be able to make up your own mind whether those things are needed for you to make a purchase.

cdabc123, new2019, jeffj7 and 8 others like this.
  5. usyed1

usyed1 [H]ard|Gawd

Are you confusing hardwareswap with hardforum?

There is generally a lot of cross traffic. Many hardforum regulars post there as well and vice versa.

Timestamps with username and date are a reddit hardwareswap thing (strict requirement to post) and frankly it's because hardwareswap is 40% serious traders and 60% clowns. I trust the average user here significantly more.

If you knew the number of "I was tricked into paying with PayPal gift" posts I have to deal with on a daily basis as a mod there. It's a perpetual facepalm.

Time-stamped photos with username have never been a thing on hardforum.

I mean people do provide original clear pictures here but they are usually not time-stamped with username and date.

Frankly hardforum is relatively safer and has significantly more experienced builders/traders even without that requirement because it's an actual hardware site specialized for this and not a social media platform. Don't get me wrong good deals in both places, but this place is much safer to deal in.

6. KILLER_K

KILLER_K [H]ardness Supreme

It is about the same everywhere now. You just have to use good common sense and good judgement now. Plus everyone here wants "Paypal gift" or for you to pay the Paypal 3% and most of the time the insurance/shipping as well now. I still like to see pictures posted and a CPU-Z, GPU-Z or Crystal Disk Mark of a screenshot. But that is just my being subjective on the matter. I'm sure they have their hands full here all the time. I know I'm a handful by myself here.

jeffj7 and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  7. DPOSCORP

DPOSCORP [H]ardForum Junkie

Not to mention that Kyle is always lurking around, as evidenced by his post in this very thread.
    Thanks again Kyle for being around for us.

8. Falkentyne

Falkentyne [H]ard|Gawd

9. newls1

newls1 2[H]4U

buddy, i asked the same question several months back and got similiar replies.. I guess i was confusing this place with XS.org forum.... But it really should be required, it is a great rule. I always add pic with date and user name in it, but im old school..

10. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett Editor-in-Chief HardOCP Staff Member

Then maybe require it from the people you buy from?

Our rule set here works quite well. Thanks for your suggestions.

custom90gt likes this.
  11. newls1

newls1 2[H]4U

thanks dad i do, cant trust any millennial today......

12. groebuck

groebuck 2[H]4U

Typically I will pic upon request - then once someone asks I will email pic and post. Taking pics is a PIA and 9/10 times people want "better pics." " can you get a microscopic pic where the screen meets the case???" which I get being anal myself but a quick FS with a description and price usually does it. As a buyer I will only ask for pics if the description is laking or if they say mint but it is out of box because my mint and your mint may be miles apart. :) BNIB? no pics needed :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.