What happened to Graphics Card box art babes?

C.S. Lewis said:
Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

Apologies, Let me rephrase that.

I'm a 52 year old man that doesn't have an unhealthy and creepy obsession for scantily clad, eroticised depictions of young girls...

Sorry, whatever C S Lewis may have said...it's creepy AF.

I forgot that it's <current_year> and human nature is creepy now.
Apologies, Let me rephrase that.

I'm a 52 year old man that doesn't have an unhealthy and creepy obsession for scantily clad, eroticised depictions of young girls...

Sorry, whatever C S Lewis may have said...it's creepy AF.
What about the designs of Ruby, Dawn, or that Sakura card scream "young" to you?

I forgot that it's <current_year> and human nature is creepy now.

What about the designs of Ruby, Dawn, or that Sakura card scream "young" to you?
And I think at least one of them was an elf, so probably 2000 years old or so.

I personally do an eye roll but don't give a rolling donut really. It goes into a case with no window, never seen again.

The cards that have the to me cheesy art on the shroud will be the next big collector trend for Tubers to stack on the back shelves.
Anyone know of some stand outs? If it is also on a memorable card (good or bad) all the better.
I might pick some up as a micro investment.

Back in the 90's to early 2010's, the box art for gaming graphics cards were usually adorned with GCI renders of beautiful fantasy or sci-fi babes. If you were exceptionally lucky you'd get a poster of her too for the bedroom.
Why have Nvidia and AMD all but stopped this practice? Why have they cancelled my poor gaming babes and instead changed to super boring box art? There was a time that I'd always keep my graphics card boxes for home decor but I don't even bother to now these days, I don't even see a point anymore. Hopefully Intel will step it up and bring back these beauties soon.

GPU box art was absolutely unhinged in the early 2000s​

1712676464042.png

https://www.xda-developers.com/absolutely-unhinged-gpu-box-art-from-the-early-2000s/

Back in the 90's to early 2010's, the box art for gaming graphics cards were usually adorned with GCI renders of beautiful fantasy or sci-fi babes. If you were exceptionally lucky you'd get a poster of her too for the bedroom.
Why have Nvidia and AMD all but stopped this practice? Why have they cancelled my poor gaming babes and instead changed to super boring box art? There was a time that I'd always keep my graphics card boxes for home decor but I don't even bother to now these days, I don't even see a point anymore. Hopefully Intel will step it up and bring back these beauties soon.
Fat and ugly women complained.

I never cared about the box as I did my research and purchased whatever best fit my budget at the time.

Whether it was a goofy robot on my GF4 ti 4200 or some ATI Ruby nonsense on the 9800 Pro, it didn't influence my purchase whatsoever....

And I typically only kept the boxes for the first 30 days in case I got a lemon. (Now that I'm older and actually sell cards sometimes, I keep the boxes for years in my tech "closet of mystery" - found a usb3 to sata ssd migration cable the other day and now it's being used as an xbox "ghetto external" SSD)

Oh, msi got some swag as well:

Screenshot_2024-04-23-01-19-20-28_4d38fce200f96aeac5e860e739312e76.jpg

Unfortunately, it's on a separate magnetic plate, with a goofy "G" cutout for the fins. Still pretty nice, though.

MSI Gaming RTX 4070 Super 12G Gaming X Slim MLG Graphics Card https://a.co/d/hJj3chA

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back