What happened to ceramic mouse skids?

RogueTrip

2[H]4U
Recently found someone talking about ceramic mouse feet being great but this looks like they died off at some point. Where they really better and if so why did they die?

I just use Hotlines mouse feet they last a long time I usually get the thicker ones but they are just plastic I think.

Interesting.

I've always just used the ones that came preinstalled on my mouse.

Are these for replacement if the old ones wear out?

Recently found someone talking about ceramic mouse feet being great but this looks like they died off at some point. Where they really better and if so why did they die?
Had a mouse with those a few years ago, those were indeed incredible on a Ratpadz. Never saw those sold as an item however.

Reactions: Gabe
like this
Maybe cutting out small round pieces of adhesive backed Teflon strips, and applying them to the contact points of the mouse would have the effect you desire?

Personally I've always liked a little bit more friction and weight in my mice. I want there to be some resistance to movement so that it is steadier. With really light and slick mice, I find my pointer moves if I use one of the side buttons, which I don't care for.

I feel like friction and weight serve like a dampener, just like the shock absorbers on your car to smooth out movement.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Shock absorbers on cars just smooth out vertical shacking while you move horizontally. They have nothing to do with friction as with mice.
Ceramic feet sounds interesting really, I use a mouse with metal feet though, for 3 years already. I feel like I'd benever return to teflon feet. Especially on the Razer Sphex v2 pad which I use for about a year and no signs of wear. Also the feet show no signs of any wear.
I like light mice and super easy gliding. When I want control and steadiness while pressing buttons, I can touch the pad with my finger(s) on one or both sides.
I really really hate the feeling of friction, that sticky feel when I start to move the mouse. I used to use cloth mats for some time... well, no more.

Shock absorbers on cars just smooth out vertical shacking while you move horizontally. They have nothing to do with friction as with mice.
Ceramic feet sounds interesting really, I use a mouse with metal feet though, for 3 years already. I feel like I'd benever return to teflon feet. Especially on the Razer Sphex v2 pad which I use for about a year and no signs of wear. Also the feet show no signs of any wear.
I like light mice and super easy gliding. When I want control and steadiness while pressing buttons, I can touch the pad with my finger(s) on one or both sides.
I really really hate the feeling of friction, that sticky feel when I start to move the mouse. I used to use cloth mats for some time... well, no more.

I feel like greater mouse weight and friction helps me smooth out my mouse movements. On very light, very slippery mice, I feel like the thing moves if you look at it wrong, resulting in difficulties on things like long range aiming in some titles.

I feel like greater mouse weight and friction helps me smooth out my mouse movements. On very light, very slippery mice, I feel like the thing moves if you look at it wrong, resulting in difficulties on things like long range aiming in some titles.
That's a symptom of your sensitivity being too high.

Some people consider mouse weight personal preference. Sure, if you are just casually playing ok.
But if you want the quickest and most accurate movements the lighter the mouse and the least friction the better it is.

That's a symptom of your sensitivity being too high.

Some people consider mouse weight personal preference. Sure, if you are just casually playing ok.
But if you want the quickest and most accurate movements the lighter the mouse and the least friction the better it is.

I disagree with this statement, I think it depends more on your play style and how you use your mouse. I tend to play significantly better with as heavy a mouse as I can get. For the past 10 to 15 years I have played with Logitech mice that have weight cartridges, and in that time I have performed the best with that weight maxed out. I actually wish I could add more weight to my G502 Proteus Core.

Is my sensitivity too high? I don't know. I don't think so. I tend to keep the sensitivity just high enough that I can turn a hundred and eighty degrees in game with a flick of the wrist without my wrist changing position on the mousepad. I couldn't play any other way, and I have played this way I can occasionally competitively. maybe it's just because I am a rather large person with rather large hands and a lot of hand strength?

I disagree with this statement, I think it depends more on your play style and how you use your mouse. I tend to play significantly better with as heavy a mouse as I can get. For the past 10 to 15 years I have played with Logitech mice that have weight cartridges, and in that time I have performed the best with that weight maxed out. I actually wish I could add more weight to my G502 Proteus Core.

Is my sensitivity too high? I don't know. I don't think so. I tend to keep the sensitivity just high enough that I can turn a hundred and eighty degrees in game with a flick of the wrist without my wrist changing position on the mousepad. I couldn't play any other way, and I have played this way I can occasionally competitively. maybe it's just because I am a rather large person with rather large hands and a lot of hand strength?

You're sacrificing a lot of precision by limiting yourself to wrist movements, and all your preferences are branching off from that.

If you want the most precision possible you use arm movements for almost everything and the only move your wrist for very tiny precise adjustments.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
You're sacrificing a lot of precision by limiting yourself to wrist movements, and all your preferences are branching off from that.

If you want the most precision possible you use arm movements for almost everything and the only move your wrist for very tiny precise adjustments.

To each their own I guess. When I game the base of my palm remains fixed, and planted to my mousepad. It never moves from the center of the pad.

How do you even play moving your entire arm? Does your entire hand ride around on top of the mouse like a cat on a Roomba? I don't think I could play that way.

It depends on more factors. I also use my mouse mostly from my "wrist" point without rising the hand. I rarely play games and only FPS'es. My hands are relatively big and that's why my grip is "fingertip" to claw so I can make large movements with as little hand movement (apart from wrist) as possible.
In desktop work I usually move my whole hand (but in small distances) some more frequently.
I don't game competitively now. For more engaging gaming I find smaller and lighter mice better so I can move more without moving the hand. But I think there is always some balance for everyone. Of course totally frictionless gliding where every gentle breeze would move the mouse would be as bad. But with todays tech - as frictionless as possible is better for me. For now I find the Razer sphex v2 the best among what I tried last years. If I want steady precision in small distances (Photoshop etc.) I can touch the pad with a finger. I use 1400dpi everywhere. I cannot see how a hand could discern pixels physically for DPIs over... say 3000dpi.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
My last mouse had those ceramic feet. super smooth and fast on slick mouse pad. fabric mouse pad not a big difference.

Back