What happened to AMD's 'Big Supply'?

I managed to get a 5950X into my cart at Amazon today for the first time using a discord service. Of course it sold before I could click checkout but hey, progress.

I hear supply will be huge, at about $850 and up for the 6800XT. Those looking for a $650 XT card are out of luck.

The $650 edition cards were limited edition launch day special, 1000000000 reviewer copies and 88 (75 regular 6800, 13 6800 XT, from my sources) street copies.

I have a ticker that logs which GPUs are hitting which stores each day.

3060Ti, 3070, 3080, 3090 = constant stream every single day

AMD GPUs = almost nonexistent. 4-7+ days between 6800XT drops
AMD CPUs = the situation is better and some models dropping daily

Last edited:

AMD GPUs = nonexistent. Literally 3-5 days between drops
AMD CPUs = the situation is better and some are dropping daily
I see this too from the stock streams I follow. Good news for those needing CPUs and Ampere cards.

AMD GPUs = almost nonexistent. 4-7+ days between 6800XT drops
AMD CPUs = the situation is better and some models dropping daily

Seeing fuck all for ampere on the nvidia uk and eu stores. =/

And doing Ryzen / Epyc cpu on the same 7 nm TSMC supply chain I think.

That website updated it sales:
https://www.proshop.de/AMD-Radeon-RX-6000-Series-overview

Since November 25 they received:
6800: 5
6800xt: 13
6900xt: 2

They have incoming:
6800: 17
6800xt: 4
6900xt: 0

For a comparison they have 1254 incoming Nvidia cards, that ratio of about 50 incoming Nvidia card for each incoming AMD card seem standard for them.
They updated it, between November 25 and december 21 (almost a month), they say they received:

6800: 17 (5 asus Tuf OC and 12 RX 6800 nitro+), that make the previous incoming measure maybe not a bad predictor
6800xt: 17 (9 asus, 8 power color)
6900xt: 0

They have incoming:
6800: 42
6800xt: 13
6900xt: 4
Total: 59

Nvidia incoming (not sure why but they do no add nvidia received card anymore on the site):
3060/3070: 853
3080/3090: 339
Total: 1192

That went from 50:1 incoming (and if we believe reseller site/scalper sales around 40 nvidia to 1 amd) to a better ratio of 20 nvidia incoming for every AMD card. But still feel spectacularly low in that part of Europe.

Before November 25 (the first week of the launch), AMD received 125 cards for a comparison, being still the vast majority of the total.

There was no big supply. As much as I appreciate AMD's recent advancements, anyone telling you their new products would be plentiful was fanboying. This should have been obvious from a mile away - Zen2 parts were hard to get for months after release and it was clear demand in 2020 was going to be very high.

This is why I just got a 2080 Super to get me by awhile. My 980TI was past retirement age. Now it's part of an htpc.

2080 super + amd 5600x cpu does just fine in cyberpunk at 1440P.

Love how everyone completely leaves consoles out of the equation. Ps5 has sold around 3.4 million units already. Xbox series x has sold almost 2 million already. Not sure on series s numbers but im sure it's a decent amount. I would assume that consoles had some kind of priority in all of this contractually. Seems like a pretty ample supply if you ask me, they just aren't being allocated where you want them to be. Give them a break.

Last edited:
Amd bragged on Twitter about how they'd have ample supply and mocked nvidia for having supposedly low stock.

Instead amd went and made nvidia's stock levels look fantastic!

Thry deserve the flak.
Another thing is that we've been hearing from "inside sources" that we are supposed to get a huge flood of cards towards the end of the year. Well, it's pretty darn close to the end of the year and it still seems that AMD has a much lower supply of cards than Nvidia. So, what gives?

Love how everyone completely leaves consoles out of the equation. Ps5 has sold around 3.4 million units already. Xbox series x has sold almost 2 million already. Not sure on series s numbers but im sure it's a decent amount. I would assume that consoles had some kind of priority in all of this contractually. Seems like a pretty ample supply if you ask me, they just aren't being allocated where you want them to be. Give them a break.
If you look at people reaction, for some it tend to make it much worse to know that the company could have made more GPU but had other priorities/contractual obligation (and that is not due to covid issues or other act of god for which it would be much easier to give a break than selling it to console or miners), I am not sure it is due to company priority/decision will make people give it more a break than an actual issue, if that is the case.

$2100 !!! ? I thought the 6900XT was $999? I understand cards from Asus and others are different than reference board, and add to the cost, but over 100% more?
That price is a reseller. It was listed for $1149 by Amazon I believe.

best buy seems to drop every tuesday or every other tuesday. 9-12am eastern. They dropped Ampere and RDNA2 last week along with AMD CPUs. 5950x went quick though. Pretty amazed how most expensive shit still sells quick lol. I was in queue for it but sold out before it went out. I got my 3090 through them on the 8th and they did another drop on the 22nd. Great chance of getting ampere there. I do think AMD will finally pick up in q1. Consoles were probably really heavy focus in q4. I know sony and microsoft were dropping them daily in december along with other retailers. I got 2 from Best buy this month. Yes they were still hard to get but huge supply went there and it will slow down in Q1 with holiday gift buying behind everyone. I do expect RDNA2 to start showing up more and more in January.

That price is a reseller. It was listed for $1149 by Amazon I believe.
Yes it was, and was available not to purchase, but to specifically pre-order! (with a release date of tomorrow).
Bummer it was pulled, I was hoping the pre-order thing wasn't a glitch and that they'd be taking pre-orders for it for real, even if just a day early. Unless they did get all pre-ordered out? :ninja:

What happened to AMD's big supply?

Consoles.

When you only get so much fab space, have to fill your most important contracts first.
Yep, that's what I've been saying. They only have so many wafers to go around for all their products.

Yep, that's what I've been saying. They only have so many wafers to go around for all their products.
Sounds like they lost the GPU war in the PC space this generation, then. With no stock increase in sight, everyone has already or will soon enough go with a nVidia card due to their supply advantage

(at least with the enthusiasts who want the latest and greatest, the ones who won't be willing to wait 6 or who knows how many months before they can get their hands on it after release. I think this lineup was who it was geared at.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like they lost the GPU war in the PC space this generation, then. With no stock increase in sight, everyone has already or will soon enough go with a nVidia card due to their supply advantage

(at least with the enthusiasts who want the latest and greatest, the ones who won't be willing to wait 6 or who knows how many months before they can get their hands on it after release. I think this lineup was who it was geared it.)

I don't think they'll mind if they sell 75 million consoles.

$2100 !!! ? I thought the 6900XT was $999? I understand cards from Asus and others are different than reference board, and add to the cost, but over 100% more?

Think that's bad? Check out this shit:

8ZVjyw9.png

A retailer in the uk, for dollars that's about $2634.03.

These launches are getting to be a fucking joke when retailers just crank the price to whatever they want.

I don't think they'll mind if they sell 75 million consoles.
That's why I specifically said in the PC space :athumbsup: It's clear AMD rocked the house otherwise. Just feels like all that effort into the 6800 series is going to waste and be forgotten if they don't get stock in soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 312472

These launches are getting to be a fucking joke when retailers just crank the price to whatever they want.
As long as someone is willing to pay that price it isn't too high. Supply and demand is a bitch.

View attachment 312472

That's insane, for $2700 That's very close to the price of buying 3 of those cards at standard stock MSRP of $999.

What braindead idiot would actually pay triple for a video card? Scalpers are the scum of this planet.

Another thing is that we've been hearing from "inside sources" that we are supposed to get a huge flood of cards towards the end of the year. Well, it's pretty darn close to the end of the year and it still seems that AMD has a much lower supply of cards than Nvidia. So, what gives?

And a lower supply of CPU's than Intel for that matter.

AMD can't help themselves to save their lives. They have played 2nd fiddle to nVidia an Intel for the vast majority of their existence. Now they finally have a very competitive GPU and a superior CPU to their rivals, but can't manage to get them into consumers hands.

That's why I specifically said in the PC space :athumbsup: It's clear AMD rocked the house otherwise. Just feels like all that effort into the 6800 series is going to waste and be forgotten if they don't get stock in soon.
AMD may never have stock remotely close to Nvidia. In the GPU space they sell such a tiny fraction high end cards compared to nvidia it's pretty mind blowing. Based off the stat analysis from scalping, Nvidia has already sold AT LEAST 40x the number of rtx 3080s compared to the 6800xt. That's a 40:1 ratio.

Side rant:
This stat alone always reminds me of an interview Nvidia CEO Jensen was doing around the time of the crypto boom, and the reporter kept pandering him with questions about his competition from AMD in the GPU space. Huang started showing physical anger, telling the reporter something like, "AMD is irrelevant in terms of the scale and proportions that we work with. We are shipping orders of magnitudes beyond what AMD represents in the industry. They don't ship, or have the capacity to offer any meaningful discussion in terms of competition in the GPU sector right now, period." (my rough requote from memory)
/end rant

AMD isn't going to suddenly get TSMC to pump out 4000% more gpu dies for their high end cards to keep up with the demand. They may double their output, or triple it, but that still leaves something like the 3080 outselling the 6800xt by 37x.

However, while it may not do anything for you this year or next, the field is starting to shift, with AMD putting resources back into GPU development after a 5 year haitus. They have incredibly talented engineers, and finally a leader in SU that has a clear direction laid out.

AMD is going to continue holding Nvidia accountable for abusing the consumer, and at least offer another option in the same performance tiers.

Last edited:
If AMD knew there was a possibility they couldn't fill orders, they should have kept their mouths shut.
Criticizing Nvidia's lack of product...while themselves bringing a paltry amount of cards to market (almost two months later) is inexcusable.
Looking at the Worldwide allocation, you'd think these cards were being hand-assembled in somebody's barn.
How did they not gauge demand based on what the public was telling them for weeks leading up to the start of sales?
You'd have to be deaf, dumb or both not to get it.
This is a squandered opportunity if I ever saw one.
Best graphics product from AMD for some time...overshadowed by negative publicity surrounding sales and supply... with their competitor licking it's chops and happy to regain what was a 'lost' market after their own botched launch.
You can't make this stuff up.

Last edited:
Last week of December coming up, still no sign of the big supply.

I wonder if some drops are around the corner? Never shopped blt before, but is looks like they state some sapphire nitro 6800xt's are coming soon.

Screenshot_20201226-200129.jpg

Back