What happened to AMD's 'Big Supply'?

I was really hoping AMD would pull through, wanted a 6800XT after nvidia’s disastrous launch. Got lucky and grabbed a 3080 on a random Microcenter run though and I’m really happy with it, especially since I run 4k where it edges out the 6800XT. AMD cards are great this time around but the launch was really overhyped.

I was really hoping AMD would pull through, wanted a 6800XT after nvidia’s disastrous launch. Got lucky and grabbed a 3080 on a random Microcenter run though and I’m really happy with it, especially since I run 4k where it edges out the 6800XT. AMD cards are great this time around but the launch was really overhyped.
Yeah I am trying to hold out for a 6800XT, but I am not hopeful about getting one any time soon. Right now I will likely buy whatever I find first in stock that is a model which fits in my case. 6800XT, 6900XT, 3080 or 3090. Performance is close enough between the models and I do not feel like waiting months and I have the $$ saved up.

Watch it be like De Beers and its diamond scheme. Somewhere under the city, there's a supply of 510,000 of each 6000series board.

Yeah I am trying to hold out for a 6800XT, but I am not hopeful about getting one any time soon. Right now I will likely buy whatever I find first in stock that is a model which fits in my case. 6800XT, 6900XT, 3080 or 3090. Performance is close enough between the models and I do not feel like waiting months and I have the $$ saved up.
Some thread had a guy stating retailer gpu supply Nov-now by models & # received.
#s were trickle low
It's like we are all waiting for 1 container to hit a country whenever it makes it thru customs.

after failing to aquire my absolute last chance at a launch videocard in the 6900xt, I've come back down to earth and realized there's no reason for me to actually buy that card. 6800xt is about the best you're gonna do from the amd side for top performance, but then the Nvidia side with DLSS and RAY TRACING absolutely take the crown over the $650 price point. I know it's going to be a year or two till we see the RDNA2 architecture getting legitimate next gen ports from consoles, and by then I'll buy another new videocard anyways. 3080 might just be my fallback card if I can source it since I've struck out checking stock for over 2 hours a day since September. Really wanted to go amd this generation, but I guess it's all up to fortune who will have a card I can physically buy.

what is coming to light now is that gddr6 is in short supply. gpus and memory are typically bought together in a set.. because without ram, the gpus are useless.

Big Navi is getting excellent reviews and have taken the performance lead from Nvidia on the high end but without any stock it will all be wasted...

Supply is abundant.Right place,right time or who you know.:)
Would like to see a oc batlle.Green mans top AIB 3090 oc VS Red girls top AIB 6900 XT.Air, water & extreme.

I agree - AMD launch was a disaster. I thought there would be a flood of 6800xt's that would land on the market and wouldn't sell out in less than a minute but that didn't happen.

After having a Vega 56 and a Radeon VII, ended up with a 3080 as I was able to walk into a Microcenter and buy that. It's a great card - very happy.

Another thing that was annoying was how tone deaf Frank Azor was on twitter, boasting how he was able to get one from shop.amd. I tried on the 6800xt and 6900xt launch, both times, trying from multiple devices, I got IP blocked, timed out, or database errors. The last thing I'll complain about is the "Team Red" special access.

I hope GPU manufacturers learn a bit from this. Apple seems to have figured it out.

I agree - AMD launch was a disaster. I thought there would be a flood of 6800xt's that would land on the market and wouldn't sell out in less than a minute but that didn't happen.

After having a Vega 56 and a Radeon VII, ended up with a 3080 as I was able to walk into a Microcenter and buy that. It's a great card - very happy.

Another thing that was annoying was how tone deaf Frank Azor was on twitter, boasting how he was able to get one from shop.amd. I tried on the 6800xt and 6900xt launch, both times, trying from multiple devices, I got IP blocked, timed out, or database errors. The last thing I'll complain about is the "Team Red" special access.

I hope GPU manufacturers learn a bit from this. Apple seems to have figured it out.
This launch just felt really amateurish from both parties. If you can't get parts/supplies locked in to meet demand, you should hold off on releasing a product. Both companies are "lucky" they both got affected. It already left a sour taste for anyone who tried to get *either* party's cards. But imagine if only one party had the supply issue... how disastrous that would look for them and how much hate they would get if it were any other year.

Covid and low supply shouldn't be an excuse to have launches like this that just cannot meet demand. It's gross and unprofessional. You're making your customers a lot less happy and enthused about your brand than if you had just delayed the launch until you got your supplies in order.

Take example from Cyberpunk 2077... they knew it wasn't ready, and that people would likely have been unhappy and unimpressed if they released it earlier. So they delayed the release. Oh well, big whoop, we waited longer. But at least you got some sembalnce of happy gamers at the end of it all and major respect to CDPR for having the guts to delay it and face critisism for the betterment of everyone involved instead of pulling a Ubisoft and releasing broken POS just because they can get money quicker that way.

So many people wasted SO much time, effort, and (gas) money and patience over such a long period of time trying to get cards. I was one of them. It sucked ass. I never want to buy either of their products again. But what can you do in a duopoly.

Last edited by a moderator:
This launch just felt really amateurish from both parties. If you can't get parts/supplies locked in to meet demand, you should hold off on releasing a product. Both companies are "lucky" they both got affected. It already left a sour taste for anyone who tried to get *either* party's cards. But imagine if only one party had the supply issue... how disastrous that would look for them and how much hate they would get if it were any other year.

So many people wasted SO much time, effort, and (gas) money and patience over such a long period of time trying to get cards. I was one of them. It sucked ass. I never want to buy either of their products again. But what can you do in a duopoly.
I agree. AMD had the opportunity to learn from nvidia's disaster of a launch but instead they just forged ahead, doing the exact same thing.

For example, if they still wanted to launch, they could have created a lottery or preorder system. Apple's preorder works fairly well - why doesn't AMD just do the same thing?

The big difference today? At microcenter, there has been 50+ 3080s each morning while there are less than a dozen new Radeon cards. Observationally, Nvidia stock (60/70/80/90) at Microcenter is at least 10x AMD stock (68/68xt/69xt).

I imagine star wars fans or potter fans waiting together in line speculating on the next book and so on having a nice night and I imagine people have found memory to have wait for a premiere in line or those Potter book midnight release has kids.

We had a Spanish kid over on exchange back in 2007. The only thing he wanted was to get the last HP book on release at midnight. The town was absolutely heaving with kids, all under the age of sixteen running around, some dressed up all shouting with quite a few parents cursing the name JK Rowling. However, it remains one of the weirdest great evenings I've ever witnessed.
We had a Spanish kid over on exchange back in 2007. The only thing he wanted was to get the last HP book on release at midnight. The town was absolutely heaving with kids, all under the age of sixteen running around, some dressed up all shouting with quite a few parents cursing the name JK Rowling. However, it remains one of the weirdest great evenings I've ever witnessed.

PS: unless your gpu is broke just wait a couple of weeks and this supply drought will be over.

For example, if they still wanted to launch, they could have created a lottery or preorder system. Apple's preorder works fairly well - why doesn't AMD just do the same thing?

Some possible difference (outside that wanting to do the same as Apple and actually pulling it off must be quite hard in reality):

1. Apple does not have the equivalent of AIB to keep happy, if it was possible in late October to simply put your name on AMD waitlist on a website that never even slow down and simply in a well timed fashion receive your AMD made card, who wait for an AIB with a lesser system, they could try to enforce them to all have that nice system as well and play nice and go online at the same time has them, but that make many player to coordinate.
  2. Apple is all the time doing high profil release on a large array of products, AMD GPUs that a first in how many years ?
  3. Apparently 10% of Apple Iphones sales are direct (versus 75% from carrier and the rest from the best buys of the world), I imagine that for high end GPU and higher percentage will be direct sales if that was a working option, Apple just have to manage the niche portion of smartphone buyer that do not acquire them via a carrier, it is probably still a giant amount in absolute numbers because of how popular the product is, but relative to the company size a very small one.
  4. There is a lot of money for Apple for each month is user has their device in their hands, the faster they get it, the faster their free trial of apple Tv, Apple Music, Apple Training, etc... end. AMD that you get your GPU now or in 2 months..... similar money, they do loose sales too (has human over value the things they can get right away and undervalue future a lot).
I agree. AMD had the opportunity to learn from nvidia's disaster of a launch but instead they just forged ahead, doing the exact same thing.
It was just 2 months and the disaster seem much more due to the giant difference in possible offer versus demand underlining, that it could went relatively smoothly in some ways, but the most has yet to have a card in their hands result would still be identical and still called a disaster by some. Imagine an completely perfect distribution system but with the exact same supply, that tell you that you are on a nice list and to expect your card february 13 2021, people would still call it a disaster of a launch.

Last edited:

In the real world where companies have shareholders, it generally does not make much sense to stock pile inventory and defer income. Also, this would prevent the minority who have secured a card to enjoy them. Low supply is better than no supply.

Folks complain like AMD/NVIDIA went into their room and take away the card from their computer.

In the real world where companies have shareholders, it generally does not make much sense to stock pile inventory and defer income. Also, this would prevent the minority who have secured a card to enjoy them. Low supply is better than no supply.

Folks complain like AMD/NVIDIA went into their room and take away the card from their computer.
In the real world, companies should also realize what this does to their image and brand recognition in the long term and how it affects brand loyalty and word of mouth. Customer satisfaction usually plays a big role in how well a company does over the long term.

1607725954325.png

In the real world, companies should also realize what this does to their image and brand recognition in the long term and how it affects brand loyalty and word of mouth. Customer satisfaction usually plays a big role in how well a company does over the long term.
Is having a product so in demand that people make line for them hurt or help Image and brand recognition (not that I go into the idea it is planned and wanted with special step made to be sure it happen at all here)

It didn't hurt Star Wars/Marvel/Apple/Jordans shoes or the Rolling Stones ticket sales or Nintendo's sales after the Wii or Playstation after the Play Station 2 (year long supply issues, play station released in March 2000 in Japan I wonder how long it took before it was easy to simply buy one in Europe/USA).

Specially if the only 2 companies that exist are very similar anyhow.

The way most animals brain work, if they see other of their species make a line to have something, it create an envy to do the same (because that mass of judgment must be right about something)

I mean if you go by Apple history that is HOW you build brand recognition.

Except with Apple devices, at least a few years back, the shortages where due to overwhelming demand instead of an overwhelming supply shortage.
A customer have very little ability to know what is normal demand, normal supply, very little ability to know normal supply and current supply has well, where would you even start to look for to have a clue if there is a supply shortage

That sound like a bit of semantic, but the current Ryzen CPU shortage, console shortage, GPU shortage all have quite the higher than usual demand going for them.

Look at this:
bulletin20201123Fig01.png

AMD +41% (and we do not have all of the worst moment, lot of 2020 was before the hyped release of new hardware)
NVIDIA +50% (that imagine is driven in good part by how much Nintendo sold units in 2020)

Make you wonder if the late Q3-Q4 will not be close to +100% in the GPU sector for NVIDIA.

There is no indication of supply shortage, it seem to have 40-50% more supply than 2019, but shortages. At least I have never encountered any number indicating that the supply are under what they were in the past.

That match the finance numbers +50% sales from Nvidia we got recently:
https://via.news/markets/nvidia-and...VIDIA's sales growth for the,is 48.1% and 40%.

49.8% sales growth and 28.82% return on equity​

NVIDIA Corporation operates as a visual computing company worldwide. It operates in two segments, GPU and Tegra Processor.

NVIDIA sales growth this year is expected to be 51% and 20.4% for next year

And the GPU sales numbers is getting larger not going lower (and the Q3 number do not cover all of the craze and none of the AMD release):
https://www.cgw.com/Press-Center/News/2020/GPU-Shipments-Soar-Again-in-Q3.aspx

The "Big Supply" was a "Big Lie". This launch is a case of nVidia lying to AMD, and AMD lying to nVidia. I mean, there are people in the EVGA forum who still haven't received the 3xxx cards they queued up for in September.

A customer have very little ability to know what is normal demand, normal supply, very little ability to know normal supply and current supply has well, where would you even start to look for to have a clue if there is a supply shortage

That sound like a bit of semantic, but the current Ryzen CPU shortage, console shortage, GPU shortage all have quite the higher than usual demand going for them.

Look at this:
View attachment 308523

AMD +41% (and we do not have all of the worst moment, lot of 2020 was before the hyped release of new hardware)
NVIDIA +50% (that imagine is driven in good part by how much Nintendo sold units in 2020)

Make you wonder if the late Q3-Q4 will not be close to +100% in the GPU sector for NVIDIA.

There is no indication of supply shortage, it seem to have 40-50% more supply than 2019, but shortages. At least I have never encountered any number indicating that the supply are under what they were in the past.

That match the finance numbers +50% sales from Nvidia we got recently:
https://via.news/markets/nvidia-and-3-other-stocks-have-high-sales-growth-and-an-above-3-return-on-equity/#:~:text=It operates in two segments,and 20.4% for next year.&text=NVIDIA's sales growth for the,is 48.1% and 40%.

49.8% sales growth and 28.82% return on equity​

NVIDIA Corporation operates as a visual computing company worldwide. It operates in two segments, GPU and Tegra Processor.

NVIDIA sales growth this year is expected to be 51% and 20.4% for next year

And the GPU sales numbers is getting larger not going lower (and the Q3 number do not cover all of the craze and none of the AMD release):
https://www.cgw.com/Press-Center/News/2020/GPU-Shipments-Soar-Again-in-Q3.aspx

We have heard from AIBs and retailers on how many orders they’ve placed vs received. Demand is higher but supply is a LOT tighter.

We have heard from AIBs and retailers on how many orders they’ve placed vs received. Demand is higher but supply is a LOT tighter.
Not sure what you mean by thighter, does it mean that when the Q4 for GPU sales numbers will get out they will be a lot smaller than Q4 2019, Q1-Q2 2020 because the supply was a lot smaller than usual ?

We can have heard that, but we never usually follow what those numbers usually look like to have any point of comparison (and I am really unsure we have any of the numbers of the biggest players like Amazon/WalMart/NewEgg/Best Buys online/etc...) and what percentage of world customer heard about those.

All you have to do is wait until the crazies exhaust themselves.

It might take awhile. Some European countries aren't getting any shipments at all, and it seems like U.S. customers with a microcenter nearby are some of the most fortunate in the world. So until global demand is satisfied, buying from microcenter and scalping on ebay seems like an easy way to make money.

[Edit:] Also, I look forward to the next AMD earnings call. AMD could've stolen a huge portion of nVidia's marketshare if they hadn't flubbed this release.

It might take awhile. Some European countries aren't getting any shipments at all, and it seems like U.S. customers with a microcenter nearby are some of the most fortunate in the world. So until global demand is satisfied, buying from microcenter and scalping on ebay seems like an easy way to make money.

[Edit:] Also, I look forward to the next AMD earnings call. AMD could've stolen a huge portion of nVidia's marketshare if they hadn't flubbed this release.
I don't disagree with any of this.
What is find interesting is whether the sentiment analysis both companies are riding on has a release pt based on current inventory satiating the market....or there's a plateau of underserved customers they want to ride to future generations.

This might not be a sign of "the times" but how it's going to be for the long haul.

AMD officially launched their new cards a month ago right? ( Except the highest end 6900 just this week )

My point, it seemed like AMD bragged about inventory and stock, sounding like they wouldn't be out of stock 1 minute after release, like their competition from nVidia.

What happened? Was AMD just BS'ing us with that, and knew no way they'd have a good supply? Or is there something else they're not saying?

It seems the 6800XT is far more out of stock near impossible to find, compared to the 3070 and 3080 which aren't that hard to get nowadays, especially at Microcenter.

I have never seen or heard of any 6800 Series being in stock or for sale anywhere? Every online site is out of stock, not even auto notify, and my MC never gets much at all, like 1 or 2 of those cards in weekly, where they might get 100 cards weekly of the 3000 line.

Seems AMD supply of these new cards is far worse then Nvidia with their new line.

AMD officially launched their new cards a month ago right? ( Except the highest end 6900 just this week )

My point, it seemed like AMD bragged about inventory and stock, sounding like they wouldn't be out of stock 1 minute after release, like their competition from nVidia.

What happened? Was AMD just BS'ing us with that, and knew no way they'd have a good supply? Or is there something else they're not saying?

It seems the 6800XT is far more out of stock near impossible to find, compared to the 3070 and 3080 which aren't that hard to get nowadays, especially at Microcenter.

I have never seen or heard of any 6800 Series being in stock or for sale anywhere? Every online site is out of stock, not even auto notify, and my MC never gets much at all, like 1 or 2 of those cards in weekly, where they might get 100 cards weekly of the 3000 line.

Seems AMD supply of these new cards is far worse then Nvidia with their new line.
We know several things about the situation:
1.) They, as well as several other customers, are all demanding a lot out of TSMC at around the same time (AMD alone is requesting chips for Zen3, 6xxx series, PS5, and Xbox)
2.) High demand due to a variety of factors (past generations of GPUs being minor improvements for the money, people shut in at home, new VR headsets, AMD is unusually competitive this year, etc.)
3.) nVidia was nowhere close to meeting demand at release

Based on all of this, you could conclude that supply might be constrained, and instead of your regular amount of demand you're facing your regular amount +some (due to people being stuck at home) +all the disappointed nVidia fans (who couldn't buy a 3xxx series GPU). I'm sure AMD's marketing department knows all of this to a greater level of detail than we ever could, so it doesn't make sense that they would get the numbers so wrong and consequently order too few cards. My only logical explanation is that they lied to people for sales reasons. If you know you're in the exact same boat nVidia was 2 months prior, and that nVidia is about to ramp up card deliveries and you won't be able to match them for another couple months, then I guess their plan was to release PR statements to convince buyers to delay their purchases. Your cards are competitive performance wise (excluding raytracing) and are superior in terms of pricing, so given the choice between either one you know you have a good chance of selling quite a bit of product this year, as long as you can convince consumers to wait until you're actually ready. So you paper launch in order to get trusted reviews in the hands of consumers, and you tell everyone there will be plenty of stock to get them to hold off in the hopes that you'll deliver the same performance for a cheaper price soon*.

Not sure what you mean by thighter, does it mean that when the Q4 for GPU sales numbers will get out they will be a lot smaller than Q4 2019, Q1-Q2 2020 because the supply was a lot smaller than usual ?

We can have heard that, but we never usually follow what those numbers usually look like to have any point of comparison (and I am really unsure we have any of the numbers of the biggest players like Amazon/WalMart/NewEgg/Best Buys online/etc...) and what percentage of world customer heard about those.
What I mean by tighter is pretty much explained in my post. AIBs are receiving a fraction of what they or ordering from nvidia and retails are receiving a fraction of what they are ordering from AIBs. There’s a supply issue isn’t limited to GPUs, it’s also affecting CPUs, motherboards and even vehicles. If you think lack of availability is strictly due to demand, we’ll just have to agree to disagree. That would mean you’re of the opinion that the global shutdowns of factories somehow some way has nothing affected nvidia,
AMD, Samsung or TSMC. Which is not a realistic expectation.

You need not but google “nvidia supply issue” to find quotes from nvidia pointing to “industry wide capacity constraints”

Last edited:
What I mean by tighter is pretty much explained in my post. AIBs are receiving a fraction of what they or ordering from nvidia and retails are receiving a fraction of what they are ordering from AIBs. There’s a supply issue isn’t limited to GPUs, it’s also affecting CPUs, motherboards and even vehicles. If you think lack of availability is strictly due to demand, we’ll just have to agree to disagree. That would mean you’re of the opinion that the global shutdowns of factories somehow some way has nothing affected nvidia,
AMD, Samsung or TSMC. Which is not a realistic expectation.

You need not but google “nvidia supply issue” to find quotes from nvidia pointing to “industry wide capacity constraints”
Lack of availability is necessarily that demand is larger than supply and necessarily that a larger supply could take care of it, that is trivial.

The question advanced, is the current availability issue made worse due to lower supply than usual at all ? (i.e. will the sales of GPU in Q4 be lower than usual ?) or purely for higher demand with an incapacity by the supply chain to up is supply (because of wide of constraint, lesser air travel supply route, giant demand for many part from competition and is own other product).

Do you think Q4 sales of GPUs will be significantly lower than usual ?

If AID and retails would not be receiving a fraction of what their demand it would be easy to simply buy one online on Amazon right now, that is an evidence that do not give us any clue if what is different than usual is the offer or the demand or both and by how much for each. If sales end up significantly higher than usual we can doubt that supply was specially low (and in Q3 sales were up by a good amount)

Why is it cell phone companies like Samsung and Apple pump out millions of phones every year and there is always enough supply on launch day. AMD and Nvidia should feel embarrassed for how terrible their launches were. They could have ramped up production or delayed a few months but instead they launch with a what seems like a few hundred cards. Even microsoft and sony are doing better on the console side and the demand is arguably way higher.

I think it actually benefits companies overall in the long run over, unless it was a complete utter disaster . This has happened so many times already, rinse and repeat, and it's still gonna happen again and again. People are gonna complain, but it's jinda like beaten spouse syndrome. It's just gonna keep happening. Some people eat it up too cause for a moment those who do have it feel better than those who don't.

I wouldn't mind a 3080 but the 2080ti has been great for cyberpunk. But I do wish that everyone who would like a card gets one as soon as possible (which looks well past the holiday season)

Why is it cell phone companies like Samsung and Apple pump out millions of phones every year and there is always enough supply on launch day. AMD and Nvidia should feel embarrassed for how terrible their launches were. They could have ramped up production or delayed a few months but instead they launch with a what seems like a few hundred cards. Even microsoft and sony are doing better on the console side and the demand is arguably way higher.
It if didn,t change only 10% or so of a phone like the Iphone is a direct sales, it is mostly via service providers that those items are sold and I imagine a lot people buy them when their current contract finish, you still have school opening, holiday more busy period but with those dynamics you probably spread out demand quite well. The fact it is every year make them have a big expertise in that, it is rather new for say AMD Gpu and relatively new for Nvidia GPU I think, to have such demand in the super higher priced range ($400 and more).

And considering people tend to wait in line for the new phone, is there really enough supply on launch day (i.e. they could have simply bought it online on launch day and be sure to have it in 2 days but they wanted to have it some numbers of hours quicker or just live a waiting in line experience ?)

Lack of availability is necessarily that demand is larger than supply and necessarily that a larger supply could take care of it, that is trivial.

The question advanced, is the current availability issue made worse due to lower supply than usual at all ? (i.e. will the sales of GPU in Q4 be lower than usual ?) or purely for higher demand with an incapacity by the supply chain to up is supply (because of wide of constraint, lesser air travel supply route, giant demand for many part from competition and is own other product).

Do you think Q4 sales of GPUs will be significantly lower than usual ?

If AID and retails would not be receiving a fraction of what their demand it would be easy to simply buy one online on Amazon right now, that is an evidence that do not give us any clue if what is different than usual is the offer or the demand or both and by how much for each. If sales end up significantly higher than usual we can doubt that supply was specially low (and in Q3 sales were up by a good amount)

I feel like we are talking in circles. Nvidia themselves have acknowledged supply constraints. Industry wide supply constraints. I don’t doubt that demand is also high, and for highly anticipated products, even a “normal” supply chain runs dry initially. This is different, this is high demand coupled with a lower than normal supply. As far as your question on sales, that will largely depend on how they measure sales. Amount sold vs amount delivered, and who’s numbers we look at So we can debate that and never know the answer. A lower than normal supply isn’t debatable since the folks building the GPUs and making the cards have told us as much.

This is different, this is high demand coupled with a lower than normal supply.
This is what I am but a question mark, I do no doubt they feel constraint and would have normally ramp up more and could not, but does the issue make it so that we are under Q2 2020 in supply for example ?

that will largely depend on how they measure sales. Amount sold vs amount delivered, and who’s numbers we look at So we can debate that and never know the answer.
And amount in $ (if the GPU would have got more expensive it would have played), we will look at the numbers like those above and the financial result and number like that, but do we have a single number that indicate that less GPU were sold in Q3 2020 and in a pace to sell less in Q4 2020 than usual ?

. A lower than normal supply isn’t debatable since the folks building the GPUs and making the cards have told us as much.
Nvidia told us (at least at the beginning) the exact opposite, not that we can much weight on it:

The 3080 and 3090 have a demand issue, not a supply issue. The demand issue is that it is much much greater than we expected — and we expected really a lot.

Retailers will tell you they haven't seen a phenomenon like this in over a decade of computing. It hearkens back to the old days of Windows 95 and Pentium when people were just out of their minds to buy this stuff. So this is a phenomenon like we've not seen in a long time, and we just weren't prepared for it.

Even if we knew about all the demand, I don't think it's possible to have ramped that fast. We're ramping really, really hard. Yields are great, the product's shipping fantastically, it's just getting sold out instantly. I appreciate it very much, I just don't think there's a real problem to solve. It's a phenomenon to observe. It's just a phenomenon."

There is 2 different conversation (thus the circle)
Do they have constraint creating a supply issue (not able to rise it while there was an obvious higher demand)
Do they have constraint that make it there will be less GPU sold this quarter than last year Q4 and 2020 Q1-Q2, considering Q3 Numbers I doubt this will end up being the case:
https://www.reseller.co.nz/article/684983/gpu-sales-rise-across-board-from-amd-intel-nvidia/
GPU units hit a healthy 13.4 per cent increase in sales over the previous quarter, respected graphics analyst firm Jon Peddie Research has revealed.

If they could have supply all the demand the number would be much better and that have heavy constraint making them unable to ramp it up.

If you mean supply lower than what it would have normally be without those constraint in a non COVID world and ultra high bunch of products released at the same time, certainly, if you mean lower supply than Q4 2019 and Q1 2020, I am really unsure of that, do you have a transcript of them saying explicitly so ?

No, they didn’t send me amy transcripts. Plenty of quotes though one of which points to industry wide supply constraints. We seem to both be saying the same thing only different. I think the supply issue is a bigger factor than the pent up demand and you seem to think the opposite. we can both find circumstantial evidences to backup our position. Ultimately it leads to the same conclusion, which is lack Of availability until supply catches up.

Microcenter near me is non stop sold out. Cambridge MA is a wicked huge college market and every kid in the known microverse here goes to that store to get gaming stuff.

If they were ever in stock here locally, they'd be gone in minutes. They literally are never ever in stock here.

Back