What happened to AMD's 'Big Supply'?

DarkSideA8

Gawd
Best Buy only lists 3 cards. GPUs: Graphics Cards & External GPUs - Best Buy They don't really represent all of the AIBs.
Newegg lists a nice compliment: Radeon RX 6800 XT Desktop Graphics Cards | Newegg.com

Question is: what happened to the 'shipping cards to AIBs' thing they told us?

If everything is going to Newegg - they don't seem to be customer focused (ahem serving bots). Whereas BB offers a 2-step process that actually allows people who want to use (not resell) the cards a chance to buy.

Would be nice to see something available to the consumer, as opposed to the reseller or miner.

(Yeah, I'm only looking at 3080 / 6800xt b/c I want to game at 4k)

I waited at MIcrocenter for 13 hours over night, had 4th spot in line. They came out around 830am handed out nothing but 3070 vouchers. So I waited another 4 hours until around noon. No truck came. I couldn't stay awake any longer absolutely exhausted. I left about 12 or so. I got a text from some folks I got to know in the line that the truck came at 1230 literally 30 mins after I left and 10 6900xt's were on that truck. I waited all night long and then some just to get an unannounced truck come 30 mins after I left with cards on it. By the time I could do a U turn to head back the cards sold to people that didn't even fucking wait.

Im so over this bullshit. I am never doing that again for anything, not even food. I will felony poach deer if I have to feed my family before I wait in any line for shit every again in my life. This was the 10th time I have waited overnight at Microcenter to get a GPU. It was fun at first because I really wasnt doing just for the GPU but I got to meet a lot of really cool people and we had some amazing conversations over the nights so it was more of a social thing than anything but after doing it enough and getting the raw end of the deal I am now over it.

I have a 3070 because I caved and had to buy something for all the effort.

Again I reiterate in my 30 years of computing I have never seen anything like this ever.

Thus, I will be checking AMD's site in the mornings before 6am EST in hopes to get something from there.

I did get a Newegg notify for a Sapphire Radeon RX 6900 XT, 10:43pm, I missed it by over 1/2 hour, of course it was out of stock when I tried. You can add to cart direct from the email as a note. Problem is if I am away from my computer I will probably miss another one.

I waited at MIcrocenter for 13 hours over night, had 4th spot in line. They came out around 830am handed out nothing but 3070 vouchers. So I waited another 4 hours until around noon. No truck came. I couldn't stay awake any longer absolutely exhausted. I left about 12 or so. I got a text from some folks I got to know in the line that the truck came at 1230 literally 30 mins after I left and 10 6900xt's were on that truck. I waited all night long and then some just to get an unannounced truck come 30 mins after I left with cards on it. By the time I could do a U turn to head back the cards sold to people that didn't even fucking wait.

Im so over this bullshit. I am never doing that again for anything, not even food. I will felony poach deer if I have to feed my family before I wait in any line for shit every again in my life. This was the 10th time I have waited overnight at Microcenter to get a GPU. It was fun at first because I really wasnt doing just for the GPU but I got to meet a lot of really cool people and we had some amazing conversations over the nights so it was more of a social thing than anything but after doing it enough and getting the raw end of the deal I am now over it.

Again I reiterate in my 30 years of computing I have never seen anything like this ever.

Thus, I will be checking AMD's site in the mornings before 6am EST in hopes to get something from there.

Your story reminded me of the part in Requiem for a Dream where he waits for the heroin shipment and comes home empty handed "There's nothing out there!"

Never do that again, get some sleep!

I feel your frustration :( I waited some nights too for a 6800XT. I didn't manage to get a 6800XT but one day did manage to finally get a 3080 there, so it wasn't as much all for nothing, but this situation *is* just ridiculous, why do we have to do this? And the execs at AMD just laugh at us like Frank Azor, who even tweeted something like: "thank you to all the fans who are camping out at Micro Center for a 6800XT, your support is amazing!" F.U., yeah, we camp because we love your company so much... that's why. Get your supplies and supply chain in order before releasing a product.

I waited at MIcrocenter for 13 hours over night, had 4th spot in line. They came out around 830am handed out nothing but 3070 vouchers. So I waited another 4 hoursp until around noon. No truck came. I couldn't stay awake any longer absolutely exhausted. I left about 12 or so. I got a text from some folks I got to know in the line that the truck came at 1230 literally 30 mins after I left and 10 6900xt's were on that truck. I waited all night long and then some just to get an unannounced truck come 30 mins after I left with cards on it. By the time I could do a U turn to head back the cards sold to people that didn't even fucking wait.

That sucks reading that, what a kick in the dick. Ugh, I'd be pissed too.

I never wait in line for consumer products, first world problems, I won't take part in. Like all those iSheep nut jobs that used to wait in hours long lines to get the new iPhone, wow frigging losers. Just wait a week or two to walk in the store and grab one at you leisure with no line. I will never give a corporation my money I need to camp out for their product that they cannot manufacture enough for their consumers, F that.

I have been very lucky getting 2 RTX 3070s and 1 RTX 3080 for myself at Microcenter, never waiting in any lines, but that took a good month and more, of going to my local MC every couple days for weeks, to score a card, I'd just get there by noon, and ask what they got it in, and a few times I was there at the right time, as they had the card I wanted. It took persistence and time going there a ton like a stalker asking what cards they got it. But if you have the patience, and go to Microcenter a bunch of times over several weeks, you will get a card for sure.

One super crazy thing is the scalping market is nuts on these new cards, OUTRAGEOUS prices. I live in a larger city, and look on FB MP and CL, the 3070's going for $850+, the 3080s for $1300+, the 3090s for well over $2000, most around $2500. F these scumbag tools. I get wanting to make a couple bucks off a card you don't need, if I landed a RTX 3080 at retail for the $749 cost or so, I'd sell it to a gamer for maybe $50 premium just for my time, and that's it.

Last edited:

1607549529311.png

I never wait in line for consumer products
It could be a bias because of being generally a bit drunk often when I waited in line in my life, but it can be a nice talking to people, I imagine star wars fans or potter fans waiting together in line speculating on the next book and so on having a nice night and I imagine people have found memory to have wait for a premiere in line or those Potter book midnight release has kids.

I could wait in line for Franklin Barbecue in a chair and some brandy coffee. (The many time and just for a possible and not certain card that is too much)

Only time I would say it's acceptable to wait hours in line over night, is if I am guaranteed to then get the card I want that I waited for. But if after being in line overnight in the cold, and still miss out on a card, I'd be pissed and never do it again. So it's totally worth it, if you know the new video card you are after is there for you 12 hours later, at the end of the line, that would be cool, and worthy of your time. But to get to the end, and nothing there, ugh !!!!!!

Only time I would say it's acceptable to wait hours in line over night, is if I am guaranteed to then get the card I want that I waited for. But if after being in line overnight in the cold, and still miss out on a card, I'd be pissed and never do it again. So it's totally worth it, if you know the new video card you are after is there for you 12 hours later, at the end of the line, that would be cool, and worthy of your time. But to get to the end, and nothing there, ugh !!!!!!

I appreciate when stores put the quantities and rules on the door nowadays. I'd be really upset with myself for waiting time if I waited 12 hours for nothing :eek:

I'm only standing in line for a surefire thing at this point. Managed to pull this off for the Switch, PS5, and some Black Friday items in the last few years.

I did get a Newegg notify for a Sapphire Radeon RX 6900 XT, 10:43pm, I missed it by over 1/2 hour, of course it was out of stock when I tried. You can add to cart direct from the email as a note. Problem is if I am away from my computer I will probably miss another one.
I thought I knew how to work the Newegg site, but I can't seem to find a way to do a notify when an item comes back into stock. What's the secret (to me)?

Your story reminded me of the part in Requiem for a Dream where he waits for the heroin shipment and comes home empty handed "There's nothing out there!"
What a f-up movie. I tried very hard to forget it. It was sick.

I thought I knew how to work the Newegg site, but I can't seem to find a way to do a notify when an item comes back into stock. What's the secret (to me)?
The auto notify was only present for a little bit and is no longer present on any of the 6900 XT cards. I have not received any further notices for the other cards. I think they just notify you once for a given card, so for me if the Sapphire card comes back in stock I will not be notified any further.

Have you considered the possibility of that unbelievable statements from some guy in marketing is probably exact that--unbelievable statements.

wow weird I live in Atlanta and i forgot all about this launch and just drove to microcenter real quick on my "lunch break" and wound up getting a 6900TX! didnt really need/want it anyways so wound up selling it on ebay for $400 profit after tax and fees

What a f-up movie. I tried very hard to forget it. It was sick.
Its impossible to forget. I think it should be shown to every high schooler. Yes, although sick, it shows you how life really is for some.

wow weird I live in Atlanta and i forgot all about this launch and just drove to microcenter real quick on my "lunch break" and wound up getting a 6900TX! didnt really need/want it anyways so wound up selling it on ebay for $400 profit after tax and fees

Your one of the ones that I waited all night long to get a card and just tralala'd in and got one. It makes me sick. Not you. But the idea of how unprofessional Microcenter has been when it comes to making people stand outside. They should just have a prepaid queue. You sign up you pay you get a call when its there. That would be far more professional.

If they werent the only brick and mortat left standing when it comes to real tech, id never go there again.

As a company they can do much better handling this GPU crap.

Best Buy only lists 3 cards. GPUs: Graphics Cards & External GPUs - Best Buy They don't really represent all of the AIBs.
Newegg lists a nice compliment: Radeon RX 6800 XT Desktop Graphics Cards | Newegg.com

Question is: what happened to the 'shipping cards to AIBs' thing they told us?

If everything is going to Newegg - they don't seem to be customer focused (ahem serving bots). Whereas BB offers a 2-step process that actually allows people who want to use (not resell) the cards a chance to buy.

Would be nice to see something available to the consumer, as opposed to the reseller or miner.

(Yeah, I'm only looking at 3080 / 6800xt b/c I want to game at 4k)

Don't listen to YouTube AMD fans or NV fans and you might realize reality.

Rumors are just that. Mostly bullshit.

Is what it is and confirmation bias by most color their perceptions of everything.

Never listen to disgruntled people, they will always steer you wrong.

If there wasn't a Microcenter, I'd never have gotten my RTX cards.

Online sales for these cards is so messed up, every site says out of stock, with most not even giving you the option to place an order for a later ship date. No auto notify.

Like WTF vendors? Why can't they just do the simple thing of, place a deposit down for the specific card you want, then you get put on list with a ticket number, and purchase order number, and when your number is up your next to actually place and pay the final amount for your card.

If there wasn't a Microcenter, I'd never have gotten my RTX cards.

Online sales for these cards is so messed up, every site says out of stock, with most not even giving you the option to place an order for a later ship date. No auto notify.

Like WTF vendors? Why can't they just do the simple thing of, place a deposit down for the specific card you want, then you get put on list with a ticket number, and purchase order number, and when your number is up your next to actually place and pay the final amount for your card.
+1.

@Zorachus Too bad the vendors and the stores/websites don't talk to people like you. They just might learn something. I just got off Amazon looking for a 3060 Ti, and the freaking markups really pissed me off. So I'm resigned to not getting a 3060 class card until, I dunno, next February. Which could easily become April. Pisses me off, Nvidia and AIB makers.

Looking to be about 4X the currently sold quantity available in the last two weeks of December. But as I have said for months, it will be no where near enough to fill demand in any way.

I'm hoping to snag a 6800 or 6800XT in the next couple of months. Hopefully the supply will increase and the demand decrease, by then.

I'm good on my 1070 till supply gets to normal.
It's not like it stopped working when the 6800xt was announced.
I will get one but I'll be damned if I pay more than MSRP for a card.
It's not worth getting upset about it.

AMD is supplying Xbox, PS5 and Desktop PC
And doing Ryzen / Epyc cpu on the same 7 nm TSMC supply chain I think.

That website updated it sales:
https://www.proshop.de/AMD-Radeon-RX-6000-Series-overview

Since November 25 they received:
6800: 5
6800xt: 13
6900xt: 2

They have incoming:
6800: 17
6800xt: 4
6900xt: 0

For a comparison they have 1254 incoming Nvidia cards, that ratio of about 50 incoming Nvidia card for each incoming AMD card seem standard for them.

They have incoming:

For a comparison they have 1254 incoming Nvidia cards, that ratio of about 50 incoming Nvidia card for each incoming AMD card seem standard for them.

That could also be their ordering habits, maybe they sell a lot more AMD than they do NV?
Keep in mind as well, NV has had the 3080 release for 3 months now, and the 3090 for a week less, vs 1 month on the 6800XT and 1 week on the 6900XT.

I don't know who has more cards going out now, I do know one thing, 3090s are a lot easier to get than 3080s are, also, AMD has a lot more things they produce (as we both mentioned) with TSMC.

AMD started launching @ middle/end (18th) of November. Nvidia started Sept 28th. Come back in 1 1/2 months and lets see how it stacks up then,

That could also be their ordering habits, maybe they sell a lot more AMD than they do NV?
Keep in mind as well, NV has had the 3080 release for 3 months now, and the 3090 for a week less, vs 1 month on the 6800XT and 1 week on the 6900XT.

I don't know who has more cards going out now, I do know one thing, 3090s are a lot easier to get than 3080s are, also, AMD has a lot more things they produce (as we both mentioned) with TSMC.
It could be that specific market (Europe is apparently been completely starved of AMD product)

But the 3060ti is more recent and at launch the very first days they had twice the amount of 3060Ti than all models of AMD they received between AMD launch and today combined together.

They have incoming:

Whoa, thanks for sharing.

It could be that specific market (Europe is apparently been completely starved of AMD product)

But the 3060ti is more recent and at launch the very first days they had twice the amount of 3060Ti than all models of AMD they received between AMD launch and today combined together.
Only the 6700 numbers will be a relevant comparison to 3060ti availability.

Back