What happened to AMD's 'Big Supply'?

AMD supply is total scam. After Kyle got a card, he suggested to check the AMD site the AM b/n 4:30 and 6:30. After trying for a few days, I finally installed a bot to check in regular intervals ( 5 mins) the site for inventory. Well I got nothing. I have been checking with my Microcenter - about 30 miles away - as well, but all I see are 5700xt's selling for $440. I don't believe the AMD supply was and is there, no matter the propaganda.

Supply is abundant.Right place,right time or who you know.:)
Supply is abundant in the sense that the supply of unobtanium is abundant as long as you are the one sitting on top of the only known pile of it.

Nvidia's stuff is a little 'easier' to get now 2+ months out than it was though it still requires a micro center, lots of luck, or camping out on discord channels and using bots. The 68/6900 series is no easier to get than the 3080 was 3-4 weeks after launch. Pretty much same scenario.

These companies can't crank the devices out fast enough for a variety of reasons. Whether they should have stockpiled more inventory before launch day or not is debatable. As someone who did not get a 68/6900 on launch day I would have been in favor of it. I do understand the comment earlier about deferring income and how that doesn't really make sense from a shareholder or financial standpoint. There is a price to be paid for that of course in the form of upset customers.

There is 2 different conversation (thus the circle)
Do they have constraint creating a supply issue (not able to rise it while there was an obvious higher demand)
Do they have constraint that make it there will be less GPU sold this quarter than last year Q4 and 2020 Q1-Q2, considering Q3 Numbers I doubt this will end up being the case:
https://www.reseller.co.nz/article/684983/gpu-sales-rise-across-board-from-amd-intel-nvidia/
GPU units hit a healthy 13.4 per cent increase in sales over the previous quarter, respected graphics analyst firm Jon Peddie Research has revealed.

If they could have supply all the demand the number would be much better and that have heavy constraint making them unable to ramp it up.
Atm one of the biggest issues is getting GDDR6, substrate, and other parts needed to make the cards and this is not only a problem for Nvidia and AMD but for the whole industry, obviously, bigger players like apple usually get priority on availability of some of those parts hence their supply chain looks better but they also throw a lot of money at it.

So you have a market with super high demand, not enough foundries to make all the parts in necessary quantities and low inventory on other parts needed, so there is a posibility that Nviodia and AMD are making (more then) normal quantities of goods, they can't increase more atm due to lack of base materials.

Reactions: Mega6
like this
Atm one of the biggest issues is getting GDDR6, substrate, and other parts needed to make the cards and this is not only a problem for Nvidia and AMD but for the whole industry, obviously, bigger players like apple usually get priority on availability of some of those parts hence their supply chain looks better but they also throw a lot of money at it.

So you have a market with super high demand, not enough foundries to make all the parts in necessary quantities and low inventory on other parts needed, so there is a posibility that Nviodia and AMD are making (more then) normal quantities of goods, they can't increase more atm due to lack of base materials.
Yeah THIS ^

Wish AMD would come out with some more info on the industry production difficulties. Look around people, try and buy a home theater receiver below $1k for instance - the same, out of stock. The component shortage is real.

Yeah THIS ^

Wish AMD would come out with some more info on the industry production difficulties. Look around people, try and buy a home theater receiver below $1k for instance - the same, out of stock. The component shortage is real.
Or get high-end audio equipment repaired. I have a 2k sub in for repair right now - they're estimating a month to get parts, because stock, and another month+ for repair and shipping from the UK. I'm half tempted to buy a replacement and sell the fixed one on craigslist...

Looking to be about 4X the currently sold quantity available in the last two weeks of December. But as I have said for months, it will be no where near enough to fill demand in any way.
Is there any way to get a bead on how many units have been sold from either camp?

The real problem is AMD said they would have supply and it wouldn’t be a paper launch like Nvidia. If they had just said “supply will be limited” it wouldn’t have been as bad.
High demand and availability stripping supply is not a paper launch. Not sure why every has to keep repeating this over and over. Not saying AMD had gobs of inventory but this is definitely a MULTIFACETED issue of SUPPLY AND DEMAND. So stop simplifying for the sake of your own argument - it's just not true.

High demand and availability stripping supply is not a paper launch. Not sure why every has to keep repeating this over and over. Not saying AMD had gobs of inventory but this is definitely a MULTIFACETED issue of SUPPLY AND DEMAND. So stop simplifying for the sake of your own argument - it's just not true.
AMD said they would have parts available unlike their competitor. I don’t why you guys keep defending AMD.

The real problem is AMD said they would have supply and it wouldn’t be a paper launch like Nvidia. If they had just said “supply will be limited” it wouldn’t have been as bad.

Exactly, that's what it sure sounded like at the AMD announcement back in October, they seemed confident in stock and supply, and sort of poked fun at nVidia due having poor supply.

Well now a month later, the 6800 series is the white unicorn, I don't know anyone that got one, it's sold out indefinitely online, no auto notify either for stock. And my big Microcenter only gets single digits of these new AMD cards weekly, while they get dozens of hundred new nvidia cards weekly. The sales guy at MC says they'll get at least 50 new nVidia cards weekly, sometimes 100 from them, and AMD 6800 line, they get like 5 or so a week and are sold out before the store officially opens

So why can nvidia ship a hundred new cards weekly to my local MC, where AMD can barely get a dozen out?

Last edited:
Supply is abundant in the sense that the supply of unobtanium is abundant as long as you are the one sitting on top of the only known pile of it.

Nvidia's stuff is a little 'easier' to get now 2+ months out than it was though it still requires a micro center, lots of luck, or camping out on discord channels and using bots. The 68/6900 series is no easier to get than the 3080 was 3-4 weeks after launch. Pretty much same scenario.

These companies can't crank the devices out fast enough for a variety of reasons. Whether they should have stockpiled more inventory before launch day or not is debatable. As someone who did not get a 68/6900 on launch day I would have been in favor of it. I do understand the comment earlier about deferring income and how that doesn't really make sense from a shareholder or financial standpoint. There is a price to be paid for that of course in the form of upset customers.

With ya bro.Unable to cart a 6800 xt.
Dozen times carted 6800......What’s the fun in that purchase.

Carted many green cards.Again what’s the fun in that.

In the end at least for AMD it comes down to foundry schedule.

If the green man secured TSMC 7nm.There would’ve little debate what card is quicker.

Issue is a competitor to TSMC is in need.

They obviously did, so you're "paper launch" is bullshit.
You’re getting hung up on those words, notice how I said paper launch in regards to Nvidia as well? Neither were technically paper launches, but there was basically zero supply from them so really who cares? Fact is Nvidia didn’t have enough supply, AMD tried to be smug and say they’ll have better supply yet here we are where supply is just as bad if not worse from AMD.

Is there any way to get a bead on how many units have been sold from either camp?
Yeah, it is pretty bad all the way around. I get some pretty solid data on supplies at retail, and that is a lot of what I base my opinions on. However, that data is not public in any way and I do not share hard numbers as I do not want people losing their jobs over that exposure.
Exactly, that's what it sure sounded like at the AMD announcement back in October, they seemed confident in stock and supply, and sort of poked fun at nVidia due having poor supply.
Yeah, AMD screwed the pooch on how they presented their thoughts on this publicly. The bottom line is there is no way for AMD to produce enough products for this high end section of the GPU TAM, and there is no way for them to know that NVIDIA was going to pull up so short as well. The truth is, and I have stated this over and over, there was no way for AMD to make enough cards to satiate the high end GPU TAM.

Last edited:
I'll just repeat again.. nv has a month and a half head start on release dates.. Get it?

I do get it, but AMD sort of bragged in their October announcement, and sort of made fun of nVidia's lack of stock, AMD made it sound like they wouldn't be having those short supply issues. Well...they seem far worse than nVidia, the new AMD cards are nowhere to be seen, and out of stock everywhere. Per that big event in October, it seemed like AMD would have ample supply of new cards compared to nVidia, but it's the exact opposite, and now 5 weeks later since they were released, still impossible to get one.

It's fine, I understand why they are not in stock, just would've been better for AMD not to brag and make it seem like they wouldn't have supply issue like nVidia

I think the problem is video card launches have been so bad for over a decade now that what we used to call a paper launch is now called a normal launch. In the early 2000s, anything less than 50,000 gpus on launch day was considered a paper launch. Now we are led to believe 5-10k cards on launch is somehow normal, and not a paper launch. It's just now everything is tied to the stock price and getting things out way before they are ready in any useful supply. The same thing has happened to the gaming industry, everything gets pushed out out the door 6 months earlier to pump up the stock price, and customers have to wait for the game to be patched months later before its playable.

Best Buy siste, has some cards listed under "Coming Soon" not Out-of-stock, and no Auto-Notify, so what does that mean? What does coming soon actually mean in Best Buy's mind?

I do get it, but AMD sort of bragged in their October announcement, and sort of made fun of nVidia's lack of stock, AMD made it sound like they wouldn't be having those short supply issues. Well...they seem far worse than nVidia, the new AMD cards are nowhere to be seen, and out of stock everywhere. Per that big event in October, it seemed like AMD would have ample supply of new cards compared to nVidia, but it's the exact opposite, and now 5 weeks later since they were released, still impossible to get one.

It's fine, I understand why they are not in stock, just would've been better for AMD not to brag and make it seem like they wouldn't have supply issue like nVidia
Done arguing with you in a big fkn circle. I've stated several causes:
-Supply Chain issues (component, gddr6) with evidence
-One and a Half months lag time vs competitor
-competitor not filling the gaps as predicted.
-demand vastly outstripping supply
-Azor is not the AMD supply chain guru, he is PR.

So - Fuk Azor and his big mouth. Go find him for you so needed apology if you need one right now. OR - be a patient little gamer and wait a few months. I predict by Feb '21 the GDDR6 issues are resolved and there should be plenty of cards by then. I will thank god then so I dont have to hear the crying anymore.

Last edited:
Who's arguing? Relax, it's Christmastime.

I'm good on cards, got my 2 kids both RTX 3070's at Microcenter, and myself a 3080 there as well, never once waited in line, or anything, just walked in, and grabbed one. Yeah I had to go there a zillion times almost every other day, but eventually over a months time, was able to get these three cards.

Another issue is the lack of critical thinking on part of individuals.

When this whole mess started.Actually before it started.Anyone who could operate a search engine and add 2+2 together.Could see the future.Samsung yield issues.
AMD 21 % capacity of TSMC split between consoles,cpus & GPUS.
It’s that simple.

If you ever believe what comes out of a corporation or politicians mouth. I have some prime land in Florida I’ll sell you.

Not sure either get anything close to be paper launch.

I am sure we can find people calling the 3070-3060TI paper launch, when a massive amount were sold day 1 of their launch and they didn't feel quite different if you try to buy them online.

Paper launch is more something reviewers get before launch there is a press around them, a date, and virtually no one actually get any on that date it was more about the press than trying to sell that product, if AMD would have announced the release of the 6900xt same day than the 6800x it would maybe been one for example. I imagine it is often some highest theoretical bin they confident they will achieve soon but not yet a la 5950x type.

People on this very board got those cards on launch day despite fighting bot army and giant lines, look how many are playing with those new card in the cyberpunk thread, they do exist in the wild.

Take the very opposite of a paper launch has possible like the playstation 5, one of the biggest hardware launch of all time with litteral millions of units actually shipped, one would not know that if they were just trying to buy one online, it could feel like it is a paper launch to them. Maybe they were, but that cannot be judged by the fact you could not buy one online on launch day, has that occur even for the 3060Ti, Ryzen 5600-5800, Xbox/PS5 type off launch and those were for almost certain not paper launch. They were in some market in the world for sure too (was it england that got a rumored 1,000 ampere card and what not, but some market did get them at launch).

Last edited:
I do get it, but AMD sort of bragged in their October announcement, and sort of made fun of nVidia's lack of stock, AMD made it sound like they wouldn't be having those short supply issues. Well...they seem far worse than nVidia, the new AMD cards are nowhere to be seen, and out of stock everywhere.
Except that they are available- there are dozens available just not from the normal channels. Any one of us could buy one right now if we were willing to pay the scalper tax. I’m not, but lots of people are and as long as people keep paying the inflated prices, the scalpers will continue to vacuum up the cards from retailers.

Yes, if I want to pay a massive premium, I can easily find the card I want right now today on Facebook Marketplace. But F them for asking almost DOUBLE. No thanks.

Not sure either get anything close to be paper launch.

I am sure we can find people calling the 3070-3060TI paper launch, when a massive amount were sold day 1 of their launch and they didn't feel quite different if you try to buy them online.

Paper launch is more something reviewers get before launch there is a press around them, a date, and virtually no one actually get any on that date it was more about the press than trying to sell that product, if AMD would have announced the release of the 6900xt same day than the 6800x it would maybe been one for example. I imagine it is often some highest theoretical bin they confident they will achieve soon but not yet a la 5950x type.

People on this very board got those cards on launch day despite fighting bot army and giant lines, look how many are playing with those new card in the cyberpunk thread, they do exist in the wild.

Take the very opposite of a paper launch has possible like the playstation 5, one of the biggest hardware launch of all time with litteral millions of units actually shipped, one would not know that and just try to buy one online could feel like it is a paper launch. Maybe they were, but that cannot be judged by the fact you could not buy one online on launch day, has that occur even for the 3060Ti, Xbox/PS5 type off definitely not paper launch.

The Wii comes to mind. They were selling millions yet you could not readily buy one for months.

Except that they are available- there are dozens available just not from the normal channels. Any one of us could buy one right now if we were willing to pay the scalper tax. I’m not, but lots of people are and as long as people keep paying the inflated prices, the scalpers will continue to vacuum up the cards from retailers.
I thought that was an expression that it would be virtually none like that, but could be not too far from reality. On Kijiji the main canadian market place there seem to be right now

6800: 3
6800XT: 4 (+1 saying he is on a list to get one soon and pre-selling it)

one of the 6800 is being sold at a very reasonable price of $1000 Canadian, considering the cheapest on PC-Canada is $829 Canadian + tax, that can be near $950

For a comparison there is around on the same platform

3080: 44
3090: 34

Facebook marketplace, 250 km radius around me, about
6800...: 1
6800xt: 1

3080: 20
3090: 14

In Canada at least, even on the scalping market the AMD cards seem to be extremely rare (just a dozen could be about right)

I thought that was an expression that it would be virtually none like that, but could be not too far from reality. On Kijiji the main canadian market place there seem to be right now

6800: 3
6800XT: 4 (+1 saying he is on a list to get one soon and pre-selling it)

one of the 6800 is being sold at a very reasonable price of $1000 Canadian, considering the cheapest on PC-Canada is $829 Canadian + tax, that can be near $950

For a comparison there is around on the same platform

3080: 44
3090: 34

Facebook marketplace, 250 km radius around me, about
6800...: 1
6800xt: 1

3080: 20
3090: 14

In Canada at least, even on the scalping market the AMD cards seem to be extremely rare (just a dozen could be about right)
I don’t think any legit Canadian retailers even have listings for the AMD cards so that’s not a surprise. Any of the ones listed probably came from the USA.

Best Buy siste, has some cards listed under "Coming Soon" not Out-of-stock, and no Auto-Notify, so what does that mean? What does coming soon actually mean in Best Buy's mind?
Means they are expecting cards, can go on sell at anytime and maybe region locked such that when it comes available you won't be able to buy. Like I put a 3090 into my cart but none were available for my region. Crap shot.

Edit: Just chatted with BestBuy:
Brianda G:
Connected with a live agent.
4:51 p.m.
You:
Hi, been looking at getting a Radeon RX 6900 XT and it keeps saying Coming Soon, what does that mean? Thanks
You:
MSI Radeon RX 6900 XT 16G and the XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Ultra (mouthful of words)
4:55 p.m.
Brianda G:
we haven't received any to sell
4:55 p.m.
You:
Is there any expected date? Also is there a region lock or quantity per region?
You:
Had a Nvidia 3090 FE in cart but unable to process since none were available for my area has been my experience.
4:56 p.m.
Ivy Watson:
Connected with a live agent.
Ivy Watson:
Hi there! I’m Ivy and I’m already in the process of reviewing the conversation you’ve had so far. I’ll just need 2-3 minutes to get up to speed. Rest assured, we’ll figure it out and get this all taken care of for you!
4:57 p.m.
You:
Ok, thanks for joining.
5:01 p.m.
Ivy Watson:
Thank you for your time.
Ivy Watson:
Radeon RX 6900 XT coming soon, means we are working with the inventory of the product.
Ivy Watson:
Soon we will update the information about the product.
Ivy Watson:
Please keep an eye on our website.

5:02 p.m.
You:
Ok, I will keep my eye open and hopefully be able to catch it in time. Thanks for the help
If you go to their site and click on option "Exclude Out of Stock Items" the two 6900 XT listed above remain as options with of course the Coming Soon part. Looks like they do have them in inventory and will let them go Soon. I should have pried a little bit harder on getting a timeline, he/she probably would not know anyways. If doing the old fashion way, we will need luck to be on our side.

I've been enjoying playing games I have, this shortage has zero impact currently on what I do on my computers. I probably have 2 years of backlog of games, if I actually ever played them, that would run great with the 1080 TI's and/or 5700 XT. If a card become reasonably available, I will get one since this is also a hobby and fun to play around with. I hope others can enjoy what they have and not always look to the next best thing feeling always left out.

Last edited:

noko, thank you for the detailed explanation.​

Was just confused what "Coming Soon" meant in this case, as compared to most other cards stating "Sold Out" or "Not-in-stock". Coming soon, with no date or a way to pre order just seems strange

noko, thank you for the detailed explanation.​

Was just confused what "Coming Soon" meant in this case, as compared to most other cards stating "Sold Out" or "Not-in-stock". Coming soon, with no date or a way to pre order just seems strange
Really means they have them, just not ready or have a clear plan in how to launch them. Also Ivy Watson, I am about 99.9% sure is AI. New age of talking to machines which in the end comes from people, albeit even more remote.

Plenty of cards on Ebay. If only people had enough self control to simply wait and not purchase above MSRP from scalpers, the scalpers would go away. Too many gotta have it now, and have the money to spend. I will just wait a couple more months with the horror of being stuck on a 1080Ti FE. Only game I really think worth a new card right now is CyberPunk 2077 and I have no intention of even trying to play that until it's had 6 months of bug squashing.

I believe AMD did have a "big supply" by their standards. However, they put out a product that is more competitive with Nv than usual, and had more demand than usual because of it. So that both skewed what constituted "big supply" relative to demand, and the scalpers did what they do and bought as many as they could to resell.

So nvidia screwed the pooch on the gpu front, and amd screwed the pooch on the cpu and gpu front.

meh, the scalpers can eat a dick i'd prefer to wait.

So nvidia screwed the pooch on the gpu front, and amd screwed the pooch on the cpu and gpu front.

meh, the scalpers can eat a dick i'd prefer to wait.
Neither company anticipated the demand they were going to see this generation, and amd must be maxing out their wafter allocation from TSMC anyways since you can't find ps5, xbox, and ryzen 3, or rx 6 series products in stock in the world.

I went to a best buy today and there were 0 videocards in stock. Nothing. They usually have dozens of card types and boxes stacked on each other in the glass case. High end, low end, middle, whatever, weird old shit ect. There's literally not one videocard for sale at the Location. So this issue is much deeper than just next gen not being available. The general availability due to covid is having a serious hit on everything top down. It's a perfect storm of highest demand EVER SEEN, poor forecasts when buying wafers and fab space, and not being able to do fuckall about it. In AMD's case they're a much smaller company spreading themselves thin over too many extreme demand products right now (ps5 / xbsx / ryzen 3 / rx 6000 / server sector / ect ). Nvidia only had to make gpus and they couldn't even get that right. It's like an angry football coach screaming "you had one fucking job" and breaking his pencil after seeing the kicker miss the game winning field goal from 15 yards out.

What a missed opportunity for Intel, even a crappy 14nm GPU would sell now. lol. I just don't see how this will all of a sudden change in a couple of months. Yet Nvidia and AMD will be adding even more skews early next year? I can see this impacting notebooks in the near future as well.

89f~2.jpg

AMD bragging about how much GPU they've got.
You won't be able to handle the inventory.
No one will know what to do with all those gpus.

AMD wouldn't be able to put all their gpus in the market at once, they've got so much they gotta ease them in.

Last edited:
View attachment 309180

AMD bragging about how much GPU they've got.
You won't be able to handle the inventory.
No one will know what to do with all those gpus.

AMD wouldn't be able to put all their gpus in the market at once, they've got so much they gotta take it easy.
It's cool though, their pr guy was able to buy one from the website, on launch day supposedly. There's at least enough for the pr staff to buy them.

It's cool though, their pr guy was able to buy one from the website, on launch day supposedly. There's at least enough for the pr staff to buy them.
That's like Sony's lead Playstation talking head getting a PS5.....and they watch Netflix on it.

E3 demo PCs would have had engineering samples installed, then pulled after the event. They did that with us when 295x2 was just a rumor when we were demoing Bioshock 3.

That's like Sony's lead Playstation talking head getting a PS5.....and they watch Netflix on it.

E3 demo PCs would have had engineering samples installed, then pulled after the event. They did that with us when 295x2 was just a rumor when we were demoing Bioshock 3.
It's a bad look. The arrogance of Nvidia and AMD right now is utterly demoralizing.

Reactions: x509
like this
It's a bad look. The arrogance of Nvidia and AMD right now is utterly demoralizing.
The PR explosion on Hardware Unboxed that got magnified by Linus?
Yeah that wasn’t good for Nvidia, luckily there’s no gpus the public decided not to buy as a response to that bizarre ray tracing is more important than FPS concept.

Back