What happened here? (56k warning)

So my EVGA 8800GTX worked for about 10 minutes, then it let the magic smoke out, and shot sparks everywhere. The only thing I find damaged is this bit below the power connectors. Any ideas what this thing is and what may have caused it's death?

original.jpg

Shame there ,sorry that happened (no water correct) just kidding. That goes back ! box that sucker back up.

Either the IC is faulty (99% chance that's what it is) or something else caused it to explode... it looks very much like the IC actually exploded. :eek:

No worries. Either return it to your place of purchase or contact EVGA and they will get you taken care of pronto. :)

Actually the waterblock was on it, but it doesn't sit anywhere near those things. I just put the stock cooler back on to prep it for rma. It's headed back to newegg tomorrow. I mounted the waterblock exactly as the instructions say.

Yeah what camera do you have? That's a nice macro shot. :)

That's what happened to my EVGA 8800 GTX, and everyone called me shens .. or whatever.

It happened to the IC just below yours, but mine was burnt way worse. My card was also the first generation card, with the replaced resistor on the back.

But kinda glad it died, b/c now I have ACS3!!

Thanks, it's an old Canon G5.

ah canon do some great work. love my S2 IS;) the macro is great. until i blew the lens driver anyways and it cost me $150 to get it fixed:mad:

but yeah thats a shame with that GTX. i'm sure they'll replace it, just remember to put the stock cooler back on and pretend like you never took it off.

Back