n00b
System specs:
Core i5-6500
16GB of DDR4 RAM
Gigabyte H170M-D3H-CF motherboard
GeForce GTX 750 1GB GDDR5 GPU
Asus VC239 23" 1080p monitor
ThermalTake LitePower 650W LTP-0650P-2 PSU
Windows 7 (with a Windows 10 upgrade to happen soon)

I have no interest at this point in VR, higher resolutions or high refresh rate gaming.
Things I play/may want to play on this PC:
Fallout 4 (being able to use the high-res texture pack would be even better but on a 1080p 23" monitor I am not sure if I would notice enough difference)
The LEGO Movie 2 video game
The recent remaster of the Ghostbusters video game
3D Studio Max 2017
The new C&C remasters (we don't have system specs for those yet I guess but we can probably assume they will be similar to whatever the most recent RTS titles by Petroglyph are since its on the same basic engine)
That new Halo all-games collection

What's the best GPU to get that will handle all my use cases? Been recommended by others that a 1650 Super, a 1660, a RX570 or an RX580 card might suit my needs but I know nothing about those cards and which one might work best for my use cases (e.g. the AMD is cheaper but is the NVIDIA worth paying the extra for? And e.g. is it worth paying the extra for the better GPU and double the VRAM on the RX680 cards?)

all the ones you were suggested are good options, i'd look into whether 3D studio uses hardware acceleration and which performs better as the deciding factor of whether it's worth going Nvidia or AMD since all the games should run fine on those cards. 1080p below 144hz 4GB of vram's enough as shown in the RX5500XT 4GB vs 8GB reviews.

I agree with the monkey. The cards you are looking at will be fine for your gaming and you just need to see if one of the two brands is better at 3D Studio Max and buy from them.

RX580 8GB is hard to beat for the $$$ atm.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Ended up buing an MSI 1660 Super Aero ITX card on sale (cheapest price on that card and cheaper than any other 1660 card I can find looking at Australian shops). Other than the fact that it might be louder due to the small-form-factor, did I buy a good card? Or did the salesman at the store sell me a dud?

Back