What GPU for ARMA 3 @ 2560x1440

Z06

[H]ard|Gawd
Currently using a 7870xt. It stutters pretty good and I have to lower my resolution to 1080p. It still shutters slightly. I want it mostly on max.

I havent really kept up lately with GPU's and I see a bunch of new ones released and rehashes. If I have to go back to nvidia I will. But any help or first hand impressions is appreciated.

Thanks

For ARMA 3 at 2560x1440 with consistent 60FPS GTX 970SLI or R9 290 Xfire at least.. I ran that game at 2560x1600 and my overclocked 780 had a very hard time trying to be above 45FPS with Ultra Quality.. always had to down some settings to be at 60fps..

Something to bear in mind is that in multiplayer your framerate may dive due to the server being cpu bound (this was the case in Arma 2, not sure about 3). Watch your GPU loading.

The biggest and fastest you can possibly afford if you want all the eye-candy.

ARMA 3 is also one of those titles that benefits from a beefier CPU if you have that.

GPU hardly matters if you have a mid range or higher card made in the last 2 years. Its all CPU, then you go online and find out neither your CPU or GPU matter because its the server / poor coding holding you back.

4700K @ 4.8 + GTX 780 on water here, can pull down 100 FPS+ in singleplayer and online I get 35-60FPS max.

Ask me what its like being a hardware enthusiast and having your favorite game hit your CPU and GPU for 35% usage.

ARMA 3 is a very CPU dependent game, especially the multiplayer aspect of it. In addition it has piss poor multithreading support so the faster CPU you can get the better. As for GPU, 770 or above is more than enough.

Thanks for the input gentlemen. My computer is showing its age. i5 2500k with the 7870xt. Performance is definitely lacking severely with ARMA 3.

I have been thinking about picking up this game. I would be playing it on my 2560x1080 ultrawide with my 2700k @ 4.8GHz and my GTX 970 @ 1500MHz/3800MHz. Do you think I would be able to max it?

I'm not sure anything is able to "max it", really, with the view distance all the way up. That said, your rig should get you pretty good performance.

I have been thinking about picking up this game. I would be playing it on my 2560x1080 ultrawide with my 2700k @ 4.8GHz and my GTX 970 @ 1500MHz/3800MHz. Do you think I would be able to max it?

Shouldn't have much of an issue.

Arma3 is unlike most games in that you can change view distance and that changes everything. Running the game at max with view distance set to 2000m is very different from someone running max with 4000m distance.

Arma3 also has an absolute fuckload of settings, so you can make it how you like it, or youccan just crush your system.

The other thing with Arma is that even the best system can be crushed by it NNo other game has maps as big or can sandbox so many players, objects or vehicles. A wipeout doing a gun run on a dozen vehicles can result in thousands of explosions, countless particles etc. You get 3 or 4 aa tanks engaging ground units, each one firing a thousand explosive rounds a min, I don't care if you have sli 980 cards, your going to slow down.

Arma can also eat vram. Even arma2 can max out 4gb cards.

It ran fine on my 4.5ghz 2600k and 780 Classified (stock). This was basically max settings at 1440p. I wasn't pulling 100 fps or anything, but it was definitely more than playable. I want to say I'd get 50ish fps.

I was messing around with Arma 2 benchmark. Once you hit the draw distance to 10k. It bought a few tears to my eyes. It was maxed out but it was down in 10 -15 FPS after setting the draw distance to the max. I'm only guessing Arma 3 will be a bit more demanding. Don't really feel like dropping the cash to do the test though. A Happy Medium seems to be the best choice in that game.

i feel like for that game you set high settings and then just adjust view distance to hit your performance target.

Yeah, many of the settings don't really make a significant performance difference on most modern cards. View Distance, Object VD, Object Detail and Terrain Detail seem to be the biggest performance hitters.

i feel like for that game you set high settings and then just adjust view distance to hit your performance target.

I think its the opposite for multiplayer- you don't want to miss something that someone else can see just because your view settings weren't the same, and quite often the view distance is enforced by the server anyway so you can't alter it.

I'll typically join a server and then dial down the settings until its smooth, g-sync makes it appear smoother than it is!

I think its the opposite for multiplayer- you don't want to miss something that someone else can see just because your view settings weren't the same, and quite often the view distance is enforced by the server anyway so you can't alter it.

Most of the time it is limited by either the server or the mission (in Parameters) and generally it's somewhere around 1500-3000 which should be playable for most people. You can always go down from there in your video settings as well.

Back