What generation of consoles did you start with?

What generation did you start with?

• 1st generation.

Votes: 60 24.0%
  • 2nd generation.

Votes: 87 34.8%
  • 3rd generation

Votes: 75 30.0%
  • 4th generation

Votes: 19 7.6%
  • 5th generation

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • 6th generation

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • 7th generation

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 8th generation

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
1st generation: (Magnavox Odyssey, Magnavox Odyssey series, Home Pong etc.).
2nd generation: (Atari 2600, Fairchild Channel F, Intellivision, ColecoVision etc.).
3rd generation: (NES, Master System, Atari 7800 etc.).
4th generation: (SNES, Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, Neo Geo etc.).
5th generation: (PSX, Sega Saturn, N64, Atari Jaguar, 3DO etc.).
6th generation: (Xbox, PS2, GameCube, Dreamcast etc.).
7th generation: (Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 etc.).
8th generation: (Wii U, PS4, XBONE etc.).

Atari 2600 was my first console (though technically my grandfather's), but the SMS was the first console purchased for me (another gift from my grandfather).

I started with pong but the Atari 2600 was what got me hooked on video games. The graphics were beyond awful but there was a lot of fun games and analog inputs for racing games using the paddles was way ahead of its time.

TurboGrafx-16
SNES
Gameboy then a VirtualBoy (not sure if they count)
N64
Played a lot of PS2, but never owned one
Grabbed a used PS3 last year since I got tired of waiting for RDR PC release

I found an Intellivision at a rummage sale when I was in middleschool; that was technically the first console I actually owned, so I put Gen 2 in the pole. That said, I had played Atari 2600 and NES at friends' houses before that.

I later got a Game Gear, then an Xbox, picked up a Saturn (always wanted one -- used to rent them at Blockbuster when I visited my grandparents), then Dreamcast, PS2, PS3, and most recently PS4. Considering selling the PS4 and picking up a Pro.

Oddly of all those I've lost / sold / given away all but the PS3 and PS4.

Atari, that was a lotta paper route money.
(for you younguns, in olden times people would deliver bundles of huge sheets a paper with news and ads and comics on them TO YOUR DOORSTEP. If you got up early the dinosaurs didn't eat them.)

The NES was my first. I'm old enough to have had a 2600 or Coleco, but my parents were having none of that. Luckily I got to play a bit at friends' houses.
Pretty crazy how big of a jump the NES (and SMS) were over the first two generations, though. I don't think any jump since has been that dramatic. Going from River Raid, Venture, and even Smurf to SMB and Metroid was mind blowing.

Started with the NES. I was around for the Atari 2600 but it didn't really interest me.

On game console side, we had a Bally Astrocade, Vectrex, had an Atari 2600 for one day (Christmas gift from my grandparents), but my parents took it back to the store and pocketed the money. I also had some computers such as Commadore Vic20, Sinclair 1000, Atari 800, Atari 130XE, and Atari ST. Of course I also at one time had the original Nintendo (the the Robot and Gun), Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Jaguar, TurboGraFX, Playstation, etc, etc, etc.

Last edited:
My very first system was the Sega Genesis. Games like Zombies ate my Neighbors and NBA Jam and Hardball 3 were some that I had.

My aunt used to have an intellivision that I played several times throughout the years until I got the Sega.
So started on the third generation, but didn't own anything until the fourth.

Got an NES for christmas with the 3 games in one cartridge, mario bros, duck hunt and world class track meet. My dad also got me Legend of Zelda.

1st generation: (Magnavox Odyssey, Magnavox Odyssey series, Home Pong etc.).
2nd generation: (Atari 2600, Fairchild Channel F, Intellivision, ColecoVision etc.).
3rd generation: (NES, Master System, Atari 7800 etc.).
4th generation: (SNES, Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, Neo Geo etc.).
5th generation: (PSX, Sega Saturn, N64, Atari Jaguar, 3DO etc.).
6th generation: (Xbox, PS2, GameCube, Dreamcast etc.).
7th generation: (Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 etc.).
8th generation: (Wii U, PS4, XBONE etc.).

I was in the 3rd generation, but my family couldn't afford any of that stuff at the time. My first personal home console was the Sega Genesis. Wasn't new either if I recall correctly.

I didn't buy my own console until Nintendo 8bit but had friends with Pong and Mattel Intellivision. I played the Intellivision more than they did. We used to bet with real money on the horse racing game.

2nd Generation

The Coleco Telstar three-sided monster.

Attachments

• ColecoTelstarArcadeBox.jpg
    ColecoTelstarArcadeBox.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 35
Here is my gaming history in chronological order:
N.E.S. & PC
Atari (Yep, found it in my Grandpa's house) & PC
Playstation & PC
PS2/Xbox & PC
PS3 & PC
PS4 & PC

This list is a little weird for asking when people started.

You've listed it out by technology generations, but some of those systems were either very early or very late in their particular technology generations so it's hard to choose.

This list is a little weird for asking when people started.

You've listed it out by technology generations, but some of those systems were either very early or very late in their particular technology generations so it's hard to choose.
I just listed what consoles each generation per Wikipedia

Odyssey was the first one we got. before that it was the two controllers that hooked to the TV and had Pong style games on it.

Technically I first owned one in 4th gen, but I went back and bought an NES not too long after.

Technically. I was pc gaming at the beginning and then we had an atari 2600. Telecon zorba. Z80. Floppy booting only. 5inch screen.

I consider the 2600 to be the first generation honestly. That's the one that started it all. I got mine in 1981 I think it was and I've been hooked ever since.

3rd generation. NES. And I stopped at the original playstation and have not bought a console since as I switched to pc gaming.

NES (had the duck hunt gun)
SNES (was gifted a sega genesis as well, but was such a nintendo fanboy I told them to take it back and that I did not want it. I was such a god damn brat)
Playstation
PC

Got an NES for christmas with the 3 games in one cartridge, mario bros, duck hunt and world class track meet. My dad also got me Legend of Zelda.
Hey, it's me, your brother. (my start, too)

Outside of console, I played on the commodore 64.

Back