What gaming video card lasted you the longest ?

9700Pro - I went from that to a 6800GT so it was quite a while
8800GTX single.. then added another for SLI 6 months later... ran that setup for years!

I have a pair of voodoo2's on my bench that still play Unreal and Quake just fine.

I had an XFX 8800GTS 512mb that was a beast. I think I used it for 3 years playing WoW before I quit. That paired with an over clocked C2Q Q6600 was epic

This has to be given to my Sapphire 7950 3GB cards. I started with one, upgraded to crossfire, then installed a third... Damn raid card is blocking my quadfire setup. :mad: Even at 2560x1600 I haven't found anything that it doesn't give me fantastic performance.

I'd say my longest lasting card is my current EVGA GTX 480, I've had it slightly over 3 years, honorable mention goes to an EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 that was in service since 2006 / 7 ish in my main pc and then given to my brother who still used it till last year.

RIP 6850 1/10/2015

It ran for 4 years, and I think I piad ~$150 for it when I bought it. Upgraded to an Asus Strix GTX970 this past weekend.

Lol I would defiantly say my Nvidia RSX has lasted the longest the gpu in my PS3 Fat, got this on release 2006 and it is still running (8 years isnt bad right?). Seriously though GPU's in a computer don't really last long around here as I swap between them pretty much every generation.

I bought a reference 5870 in 2009. Logged over 3000 hours on it in steam,ran bitcoin on it and made my money back a couple times and I used to for folding. My girlfriends son is still using it. He was playin crew on it last night. Most games still look good on it.
I ran the 5870 in my main rig from 2009 till 2013 when the paste and thermopads dried out. The pads where the real problem causing vram to run hot. I bought new thermopads and redid paste and it is was good again.
I bet there are people that keep cards until they break or won't meet requirements. Its mostly enthusiast in this forum but I still thought I would see a few in here still running a 9800gt or 4870 since launch.

In another two months, my Titan will have lasted me the longest. The previous, or soon to be, champ was a 6800 Ultra. Beautiful card for what it was.

5970, ran it for 4 years, PC was on all the time. died at the end of 2014. Paid $300, played every game I threw at it; definitely think I got my money worth!

im still on crossfire 5850s i bought in 2009.

been waiting for a game i really want to play immediately but cant, in order to upgrade.
it should definitely probably maybe be sometime this year.

GTX 570 that I had for just over 3 years until I went with my current 780 SLI.

I foresee 2-4 years total out of these since my only gripe is the power draw/heat output, and I won't upgrade until there are 20nm or smaller process GPUs on the market in which a single GPU at least matches the performance of my 780 SLI with even lower power draw than a 970.

None. Dumped them all, avg a year to year and a half. Quickest was Radeon 3750 in SLI dumped asap for 8800 GTS (G92) SLI, then dumped that, so on and so forth.

7950 boost was a great card, probably should still have it, dumped it for a 290X.

None. Dumped them all, avg a year to year and a half. Quickest was Radeon 3750 in SLI dumped asap for 8800 GTS (G92) SLI, then dumped that, so on and so forth.

7950 boost was a great card, probably should still have it, dumped it for a 290X.

But but, one of them lasted longest.
(thread title is a good hint)

Two years later my Titan bought at launch is still within 15% of a 980...

Not a bad run. Makes me have less remorse than I initially had about spending a grand on a video card.

560ti SLI
I bought them 4 mos after launch for $170 each. I would still have them if I wasn't offered an incredible deal for them last year.
After that I got the bug. Upgraded to 660 ti 3gb > 660 SLI > 660ti 3GB SLI > 780 > 780 SLI > 780ti > 780ti SLI > Just ordered my 3rd ti for 3-way (mostly for folding purposes).

All of that was in the last year... Think I wasted much money?
I do..
§

I still have my x1900xtx that I purchased in 2007. It still runs the older games that my wife likes to play (i.e. Oblivion, Spore, etc). 8 years isnt bad...

Probably my Geforce 6600 though that was due to a lengthy unemployment/college stint where I didn't have the money to replace it.

Had that thing overclocked to within an inch of it's life just so I could play Crysis. (at a whopping ~15-20 fps) When I took the fan/heatsink off there was basically no thermal paste left, it had turned to dust.

I think it'd have to be my original GeForce 256 DDR, which was my first real gaming card. My older brother bought it for me as a gift when it first released, and it was a long time before I played anything it struggled with. That, and it was a few years before I could afford to replace it anyhow. :p

I think my next card was in the 5xxx series.

a Diamond 5870 lasted me a good two years or more! Now it's in my best friends machine and she's had it for at least a year, still going strong.

Before that I think the original 8800GTS latest nearly 3 years for me

8800 GTX. Got a Sony GDM-FW900 at the same time and used both for years without any need to upgrade.

Matrox Millennium/G400, Riva TNT, 4200Ti, 6600GT, 1950XTX, 7950GT, 8800GTX, GTX260 216SP and my old GTX480's, I can see myself pushing past 2 years with my current dual 680 4gb's.

X800XT PE lasted 5 years in an older athlon 64 build.

Last edited:
My current card is probably the longest, gtx 570, coming up on 4 years.

Still running my GTX 570. Handles every game - maybe not on highest settings though. Planning an upgrade to a 980 and an Asus Swift or Acer equivalent, so will need a better card to run 1440 soon.

Probably the Trident card I had in my 486DX from 1992-1999, followed by my ATi 9800 PRO (2003-2007).

Probably the Trident card I had in my 486DX from 1992-1999.

Well, yeah, those old SVGA cards never really needed upgrading, but then again, were they really "gaming" cards?

When I think gaming cards I think of the advent of 3d acceleration, so you know, starting with the likes of the Matrox Mystique and Voodoo 1 in 1996 :p

Funny side note:

My old 2MB Matrox Millenium PCI card was still serving active duty as my server video card until about August of 2014 :p

6950 2GB unlocked/oc'd to 6970, going on 4 years now and it still runs things pretty well (at 1920x1200).

TBH the only reason I plan on upgrading it soon is go to go gsync/freesync.

8800gtx by far.....definitely got mah moneys worth....currently being crossfired with 6950s since 2010... which i've also have gotten my moneys worth... but i think they'll probably stay in my rig for a long long time...

Hd4870 never had one last that long. Still impressive how it keeps up even today in our spare machine.

For me? Probably my Voodoo 5500 way back in the day (needed some community DX8 drivers when that happened though) or the launch day 7970 (now a Ghz) I'm using right now, that I expect will last me another year or 2.

Back