What games use the AVX CPU instruction set?

jpinard

Limp Gawd
Overclocking my system and seeing what kind of offset I can safely use for avx. So I’m curious what games use the avx instruction set.

Overclocking my system and seeing what kind of offset I can safely use for avx. So I’m curious what games use the avx instruction set.
I only know of the crew 2 and GRID 2(google says path of exile and project cars too) that do and here is a list of software. like I said, its pretty few and far between now but I guess it is starting to pick up which is prob why intel introduced the offset feature. unless youre benchmarking you prob wouldnt notice a 2-300mhz drop.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Vector_Extensions#Software

a lot more dx12 games are using it since it's part of the API now.

a lot more dx12 games are using it since it's part of the API now.

I wish I could find out which games are using it though. Many games offer a dx12 option now like Warhammer 2. But does Warhammer actually use avx? Is there a way I could have a program like cpu-Z run with it’s program visible even when I have another game running full screen? I forgot what that’s called. Some kind of window dominance?

I wish I could find out which games are using it though. Many games offer a dx12 option now like Warhammer 2. But does Warhammer actually use avx? Is there a way I could have a program like cpu-Z run with it’s program visible even when I have another game running full screen? I forgot what that’s called. Some kind of window dominance?
yeah you can usually drag a game to one screen and run it with something else on the other screen. but if you have any monitoring program youll see the speed decrease and know that avx is being used. avx is available in dx12 but that does not mean that they all will use it. I cant find a list.

yeah i can't find a list either, tried looking last night when i saw your thread.. but agree doing what pendragon said with setting the offset then watching if clock speeds drop when you run a game might be the only way.. i know i saw a couple threads mentioning battlefield V and the ones pend already mentioned.

Last edited:
I don't know of a list, but it is probably fairly common these days with new games. A large amount of them use the Intel C Compiler to build their executable and that'll make use of advanced instructions, unless told not to. Personally, I decided to say screw the AVX offset, put it at zero, and just put my CPU up to whatever it can handle with AVX. I think there's a pretty narrow set of programs where I would both want the highest performance I can get, but also not have any need for AVX/AVX2/FMA/etc. With older games, I'm usually display bound not CPU or GPU so though they probably don't need AVX, they also don't need an excess of CPU speed.

Personally I see the AVX offset thing as mostly an ePenis measuring thing, a way to get higher OC numbers and feel like your chip is faster than it really is suited to handle.

I don't know of a list, but it is probably fairly common these days with new games. A large amount of them use the Intel C Compiler to build their executable and that'll make use of advanced instructions, unless told not to. Personally, I decided to say screw the AVX offset, put it at zero, and just put my CPU up to whatever it can handle with AVX. I think there's a pretty narrow set of programs where I would both want the highest performance I can get, but also not have any need for AVX/AVX2/FMA/etc. With older games, I'm usually display bound not CPU or GPU so though they probably don't need AVX, they also don't need an excess of CPU speed.

Personally I see the AVX offset thing as mostly an ePenis measuring thing, a way to get higher OC numbers and feel like your chip is faster than it really is suited to handle.

realistically the only thing the offset matters for is avx 512.. outside of stress testing there's only a few applications that even touch avx 512 and quite frankly if you're using those you're probably using a xeon based system anyways. most games only use AVX2 at the most and that doesn't put crap for extra temp load on a cpu,

realistically the only thing the offset matters for is avx 512.. outside of stress testing there's only a few applications that even touch avx 512 and quite frankly if you're using those you're probably using a xeon based system anyways. most games only use AVX2 at the most and that doesn't put crap for extra temp load on a cpu,

It applies the offset to any AVX load. When the AVX section gets fired up, the offset applies. On my chip I can push it up to 4.8ish GHz with no AVX, but with AVX it'll only do 4.6GHz solid. Chip doesn't support AVX512.

It applies the offset to any AVX load. When the AVX section gets fired up, the offset applies. On my chip I can push it up to 4.8ish GHz with no AVX, but with AVX it'll only do 4.6GHz solid. Chip doesn't support AVX512.
Monitoring your CPUs clock speed should indicate which games use AVX.
If the load isnt high enough to keep clock speeds up, use another program to load the CPU at the same time.

Hmm. I am thinking, games usually prefer high frequency, right? I am aware AVX is supposed to be very efficient but is that the case with games? Not up to speed with Intel but prior AVX implementations tended to saturate a lot of transistors on its own.

Am I onto something, or simply on something?

Same- and AVX2 applies to Ryzen as well, doesn't it?

Not sure where they're at with needing an offset or not though.

Back