What games to buy for my new PC?

Eulogy

2[H]4U
Well,
I'm finally going to have a system worthy of playing games again soon! Quad core, 8 GB RAM and an 8800GTS (didn't splurge here - waiting for nVidia's next "greatest").
So, the last game I played through I think was Halo or COD 2.
I need some games to anticipate playing on my new compy.
I'll play any style of games... though FPS seems to be the main genre of games for the past few years.
So, what should I pick up?:cool:

Definitely pick up the Orange Box.

Bioshock was good. A lot of good demos have come out recently too like UT3 and COD4.

Why did you go with 8gb RAM?
Same reason I went with a quad, because I can and plan on hammering it as much as I can!
I don't just game. In fact, I'm a mild gamer. Mostly I do development/design work. So, it'll come in handy - eventually :p.

Well, Orange Box is a clear winner on content and quality. Especially since you may not have played through HL2 and HL2:EP1.

Try Battlefield 2, lots of multiplayer battling you can do there. I don't like all those expansion packs, but the core game is fun.

I would also recommend trying Company of Heroes, an RTS game. I am not really an RTS fan, but this game's pacing emphasizes small scale tactical encounters, and less on frenzied micro-management clicking.

Check out all the latest demos before you buy. Call of Duty 4 looks amazing. Its demo grabbed me by the throat and I can't wait 'til the full game is released in a few weeks.

Call of Duty 4 is not my type of game. Its the same ol' boring gameplay that you see in COD1,2, and 3, the graphics aren't that special either.

Definitely the Orange Box. Between TF2, Portal and the Half-Life 2 games, it's an absolute must-buy for everyone, especially people getting into PC gaming.

Next up, FEAR is one of my favorite games ever - it's unbelievably fun and action-packed, and it's only $20 (although you can play the Multiplayer part for free.) It's a little old now (2 years), but it's still beautiful and hardware-intensive, and it's fun as hell. :D

After that, I'd say:
-Bioshock
-Crysis
-Unreal Tournament 3

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Bioshock for sure, also Crysis when it gets here, also you might enjoy R6:Vegas, great entertainment. Personally I have my hopes up for Hellgate:London, I'll wait till after I haved played the demo...

Check out all the latest demos before you buy. Call of Duty 4 looks amazing. Its demo grabbed me by the throat and I can't wait 'til the full game is released in a few weeks.

What he said. Especially the part about playing demos before buying the game. I've never been a CoD fan but the CoD4 demo rocked my socks off. I think I'll buy it just for the single player experience.

Flight Simulator X I guess its still new because it uses dx10?
You can download Dirt, a very cool and excellent racing game with the best graphics!

That system is a waste with a GTS
Yes, it may be right now, but seeing as how "winter" is supposed to be the next big thing from nVidia, it's simply a tide-me-over.
That, and I'm all for gme play over eye candy.

Sims 2! Yes, i do like to play it especially with mods...lol
Anyhow, any of the above games are good.

All above mentionned games plus :

Prey
Supreme Commander
Hellgate : London
Quake Wars

All those games should keep you awake for awhile... :)

Yes, it may be right now, but seeing as how "winter" is supposed to be the next big thing from nVidia, it's simply a tide-me-over.
That, and I'm all for gme play over eye candy.

I see where you're coming from, but Nvidias new video cards have been confirmed as mid range for the 8xxx series, I doubt we'll see the 9xxx series for another 6 months.

I see where you're coming from, but Nvidias new video cards have been confirmed as mid range for the 8xxx series, I doubt we'll see the 9xxx series for another 6 months.
Yes, I know, the 8800GT. Well, if that's all they release, that's all they release. Big deal. I'm a patient person.

Are you seriously running a watercooled quad/GTS/overclocked system on a 400w PSU or is that a typo?

Back